Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome your new mod Watty!

Options
  • 21-08-2006 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

Regular users and new alike, I would like to welcome you to your new moderator watty.

You may all know watty from ICDG and he is a man who knows his diseqc motors to his RG6 cable. :)

So let me be the first to have the pleasure of welcoming you along watty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

He smells lovely
    He'll fit right in.
    Welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

good person for the job

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Congrats Watty on yer new role!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well done, Watty. A fine choice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Karoma, if you keep deleting your posts, I'll make you eat them next time. :)

• Advertisement

Oh noes, 1's of people will see the pos...oh,you edited it! Boo! hiss!

Karoma wrote:
    Oh noes, 1's of people will see the pos...oh,you edited it! Boo! hiss!

Heh. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Thanks for the warm welcome. I hope we are all using CT100 or CT125 instead of RG6 though!

Perhaps this Forum should be called Sport by Foreign Provider :) Anyhow what I know about Satellite is balanced by my total ignorance of Sport in general and Sport viewing on TV!

I'm aware that Soccer uses a rounder ball than Rugby though.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Bloody typical, an existing mod getting another mod position. Typical goings on of click.ie oh sorry I mean boards.ie

Note Hmods arn't *REAL* mods on boards.ie, only kind of lower life, unpaid, temporary traffic wardens. If you regard the real mods as Garda / Soldiers :)

• Advertisement

Fair point, but when this forum was originally set up, you had no interest in becoming part of it. You were the one who suggested to hagar about setting up a private forum. Now you are here as a mod within a forum you wanted no part in. Forgive me for not being full of enthusiasm.

I know that both myself and pal were both mentioned as possible replacements for hagar, but even though I pm'ed hagar last Friday or saturday enquiring about some sort of mod access to allow me to re-edit my fixtures post, which he never bothered replying to me, once your name was mentioned that was it. (At the time I got in touch with Hagar, I had no idea that he intended stepping down.)

Personally, I have nothing against you and I think you are a valauble asset to boards.ie but I cant help feeling that its a closed shop on certain forums with regards to who gets mod access.

Have you slept with Sparky-s? No. Then, don't begrudge those who have. They worked hard for the HMOD.

Well I might not keep the job :)

And there I thought I was a desparate last hope..

Aquos76

My view was and is that anything that could be discussed anywhere on Boards.ie relating to Satellite could be discussed also in ICDG. I know some people don't take as broad a view of ICDG and get nervy when cards are discussed.

I'm on email about 12 hrs / 14 hrs a day (actually my office corridor) so any issue PM me and you should get a response at least the next day, unless I'm globe trotting, (though it might consist of single word yes or no).

I'm putting this in the thread rather than a p.m. as it applies to all.

If you need something edited let me know too.

Again I stress I know little about TV sport, but Hagar asked I think not long after the forum went public and I said I would think about it again sometime.

I agree that "modships" are not advertised. In fact perhaps they get offered to folk who neither look for the job nor get a popular vote. I suspect that neither the main boards.ie nor the mysterious "hosted" forums such as this and ICDG are not democracies.

Karoma wrote:
    Have you slept with Sparky-s? No. Then, don't begrudge those who have. They worked hard for the HMOD.

Don't know anyone who has.

watty wrote:
    Note Hmods arn't *REAL* mods on boards.ie, only kind of lower life, unpaid, temporary traffic wardens. If you regard the real mods as Garda / Soldiers :)

'Real' mods get money 'n' guns 'n' fireworks (delete as appropriate)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

To Watty,

I find myself in agreement with Aquos. This forum was born because some of us wanted to discuss non Sky stuff that persons over at ICDG seem to be at best cool about.

I for one experienced frustration at what I felt is over zealous moderation on ICDG with at times mods closing down legit threads on a whim that they might be loosely termed straying into grey areas.

I am not suggesting we discuss hacks etc here but simply keep a level head about what's reasonable to say and what isn't.

I recall that you too Watty were not in favour of Eurosat and saw no need for it. In spite of you and others we slowly but surely got going. I hardly post much on IDDG these days as I prefer the balanced attitude here.

That being said in the undemocratic world that boards.ie is , you're now it and there only remains for me to say welcome.

Aquos76 wrote:
    I know that both myself and pal were both mentioned as possible replacements .

I'm probably disqualified as a mod since I'm carrying a Politics forum ban. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

well done watty

watty knows he's sateillte stuff

The main reason I picked Watty is because I have looked at his posts and I know of his experience in this field.
    The guy doesn't even subscribe to Sky.

Me an Hagar a while back discussed in length of trying to add watty at the time to be a mod as seeing as the forum was new and users knowing of wattys very well knowledgeable posts, that if they seen 'Eurosat' as it was at the time, underneath his posts that it would drive traffic to the forum as it was very dead.
    Watty at the time informed us that he was very busy, but would consider it in the future.

He has also informed me on this occasion that if he does get busy in his real life activities, that he would have to step down as mod of here.
    I do have users earmarked as to who should be his replacement.

In no way feel that you need to be a moderator to contribute to this forum as you would a regular user, after all a mod is useless if he/she does not have users to post within their forums in which they oversee.

Aquos, I have no problem in you creating a new thread or post to overwrite a current post you made after the user edit option expires, just delete it and note the post you need edited and I will do it for you.
    That's what us mods are here for. :)

Sorry Sparky.. I do have a basic Sky sub at the moment. But I have cancelled 2 or 3 times in the past. For commercial reasons now that I have a ReelBox with CI and also built in CAM, I'm looking at getting a continent sub. (I was going to say more exotic than Sky but some reader might incorrectly read it as exxxotic).

• Advertisement

An erotic sub!

I like it already. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Hi there, As you are having this discussion here, ICDG is in the same boat. I have proposed to the mods of ICDG a merger with the boards.ie (i.e. losing its Hosted tag) and really, a closer look on how best to serve the wider boards community. I was one of the dissenting voices, moveover for the fear that this board would be too niche, I couldnt see it survive. As I mentioned in that thread, its worth discussing if there is a need to continue two satellite boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Yes, I look forward to hearing your deliberations. PM me if action is required.

Looks like if some people on here have their way,this forum could be coming to an abrupt end. So those who did not want it in the first place will eventually succeed in closing it down.

Wait now. The whole intension of this board was to discuss anything not fully realated to BSkyB.

I am confused by Clouds post and DMC's. If at all, why not have this merged into the new Cable/ Digital TV catagory? Or even Tech.

I want users opinions on this.

Well there are users on here who fought hard to get this up and running. Since it has started, it has been growing by the day, we really dont want to go back to the days when we had forums closed because we mentioned Art or Canal +.

Whatever about merging it like sparky-s has suggested, but lets keep it totally seperate for the existing satellite forum.

There is a value in it being separate, but with a suitable name.
    Some Ideas:
    Non-Sky Subscriptions
    Euro Sat Sport
    Foreign Sat Sport
    Pay-TV Sport

"Foreign Sat" or "Euro Sat" on its own I think doesn't clearly describe it. Sky is both European and Foreign.

It seems to me the main defining aspect is non-Sky Pay TV sport. An certinally the major contribution to that aspect by Pal and Aquos76 ought to be recognised. Maybe we need some kind of method of "showing recognition" to good contributers.

Got 8 UEFA Cup matches live tonight on various channels 13e and 19e.
    All legit.

Over on my Sky system that the family are watching in the kitchen and which is so beloved to all at the other forum, I can get only one game. Newcastle on FIVE (and you need a UK card too !).

Sky's good but really you can do it to death. The other sats are just so much better.

In short, not really a fan of 28e and prefer to talk about the European stuff which just never really worked well on the other forum.

Leave things be I say.

PS

Euro Sat Sport sounds cool

Pal wrote:
    Euro Sat Sport sounds cool

Sounds ok alright. I would have to agree with your thought on 28.2. The best thing I ever did was stopping paying for SkySports. I still have SSN but I have that on NTL digital. All my other needs are catered for using Art and a Technomate receiver.

And by the way, congrats Watty on being upgraded to a REAL MOD. It was only yesterday thay you were saying that you were not a real mod but only a H Mod.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, gotta say that Foreign Sat doesn't sound right. Euro Sat Sport does have a nice ring to it, but that's if all you intend discussing is sports programming. And under "Eurosat" would Sky not also fall into this, since they're European?

Just things to consider maybe?

Basically, I figure ye cover AB Sky (anything but sky) and Non-Sky pay-TV, be it sports or perhaps movies.

Personally, I'd have no qualms with PayTV other than Sky being discussed on the Satellite board but you are growing a community here.

Also, Sat Sports Xtra comes to mind! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement