Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What reverb?

Options
  • 21-08-2006 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I'm working on abig project for which the bundled reverbs in Cubase SX just aren't cutting the mustard. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm thinking I might go back to having an out board FX unit. Unless anyone has some good sugestions?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

If money is no object, or you just want to steal it, try Waves IR-1

http://www.waves.com/content.asp?id=1564

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

WizooVerb is probably better than the Waves one. Absolutely cripples my cpu though but it does sound sexual :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I was thinking of those alright, my PC is pretty powerful but as important as a natural sounding reverb is to me I'm reluctant to give up so much processor power unless I have to. I'd be interested in hearing about anyone using an outboard reverb unit with a computer recording set up. Anyone out there?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

How do you mean? Using outboard on a live recording or just re-recording an individual track through outboard? I dont think there's much point in either option tbh providing you have a decent spec system with so many decent VST's out there nowadays. I have had success with Kjaerhus audio gold series VST's on choral recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

What kind of project are you doing?
    Can you not freeze tracks on your host then throw the reverb over them using sends for the mixdown?
    Wouldnt tax your pc too much

• Advertisement

I'm not convinced by the quality of 90% of the reverb plug ins I've used. They definitely have their place but if you are mixing vocal only in a quiet passage I find that they let you down. Reverb is the most common but also the most difficult effect to reproduce well. I think the judiscious use of quality reverbs is one of the things that sonically sets apart demos from pro recordings. And so what I have done is ordered myself one of my favourite hardware reverb units in my budget from the states. I can't wait to get my hands and ears on it! And I'm presently on the look out for a second one too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Try this free convolution reverb

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

It does have a significant latency but if your host has PDC you can get around that.

Google for free impulse responses - these are your "presets" they allow the plugin to model the acoustic space in which the impulse was recorded.

squibs wrote:
    Try this free convolution reverb

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

It does have a significant latency but if your host has PDC you can get around that.

Google for free impulse responses - these are your "presets" they allow the plugin to model the acoustic space in which the impulse was recorded.

Hi Squibs, I haven't used any convolution reverbs yet. What are your experiences with them like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I tend to use ANWIDA soft reverb which for a freebie is very good. Its based on this

TC Native Reverb is good.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

The convolution reverbs are far more flexible. As well as simulating any room space (cathedrals, tiled hallway, etc.) they can model presets for equipment. The latency is a [ain, but like I say - download SIR and some impulse responses and see what you think!

Sometimes I put in a regular verb and replace it with SIR for final mixdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Roomworks in Cubase SX 3 is quite good considering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 macleod

www.artsacoustic.com is a brilliant reverb...truely amazing. it's a algorithmic reverb processor, not as CPU hungry as convolution and is far more flexible. Masterverb from wavearts is also quite nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

If you want to use an actual effects processor, not a plug in, then I would recommend the unit below. It is very affordable. Great reverbs aswell as other effects. It is dual engine meaning you can run two different effects at the same time.

(Looks like they have got rid of the unit I was going to recommend but there is this updated one that is a little more expensive)

http://www.thomann.de/ie/tc_electronic_m350.htm

There is a place in Dublin that acts as an Irish agent of sorts for Thomann and can generally supply a little cheaper by not charging shipping. PM me if you need a contact for them.

Advertisement