Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best place to buy oil!

Options
  • 21-08-2006 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Im changing the oil on my car soon. Im looking for Silkolene stuff,but cant find any anywhere. Anyone had any experiences with certain shops,online sites or other. Id appreciate any help,as i dont want a garage to charge me the guts of 85e for oil (yes thats what i was quoted!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I ordered off opieoils recently. Would recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What is the big fascination with Silkolene oil?
    I don't understand when Castrol or Motul are as good or better IMHO.
    Were you told to run it in a particular engine or is it just hearsay that it is a great product?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I would be inclined to agree with CJhaughey. I wouldn't pay much attention to brand names of oils but what I would pay attention to is the ACEA rating and any manufacturer recommendations and specs (eg VW 505.00) No doubt Silkolene is good oil but unless it's an actual higher spec than other oils then I don't see the big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Silkoelene Pro S is recommended for my car so thats what i'm sticking with. Yes its expensive but worth it imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I was replying to the op, he was complaining that the garage was charging him 85 euro for oil.
    Just out of interest what did you pay for the Silkolene from the UK? postage included?
    My point was that while silkolene may be a good oil, There are equally good if not better oils available here in the ROI.
    This is the second thread that dealt with Silkolene in a short space of time and I was curious as to why an oil unavailable at a store near you has become so popular?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I bought through a BMW-Board group buy 18 months ago. I got this:
    Pro S 5w-40 - 4*5L (engine oil)
    1L Syn 5 (diff oil)
    UK£130.49
    Opie's prices are still much the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Does anybody know anywhere other than Opieoil online?

My car needs 4.2ltrs of CASTROL EDGE TURBO DIESEL 5W-40.
    Halfords sell a 4ltrs for €49.99 plus 1ltr @ €17.99 which is working out at €67.98 which is quite expensive I thought.
    Opieoils sell them at GBP£37.99 + £11.99 = £49.98 (€74) and then delivery is to be added.
    Is there any other sites that might be cheaper? I just think it's a lot for an oil change. I wouldn't mind bulk buying a big drum even....but how long would it keep for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

You don't need to buy Castrol brand oil though, any oil of the right viscosity and spec will do. The spec in this case appears to be VW 505.01 and ACEA B3/B4

More info
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/?f=4&t=19094

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

BrianD3 wrote:
    You don't need to buy Castrol brand oil though, any oil of the right viscosity and spec will do. The spec in this case appears to be VW 505.01 and ACEA B3/B4

More info
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/?f=4&t=19094
    Ah yeh I know I don't have to but I just want to buy good stuff and have always used Castrol previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I wouldn't bother with the brand name either.

If the oil has the same rating then its good enough.

I use Halfords semi synth on the Alfa and its recommonded to use Selenia semi synth, but the Halfords is cheaper and has a better rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I get 4 litres of Mobil 1, or Castrol GTX, fully synthetic for 39 euro in Ledwiths in Drogheda. That was the latest price I payed as of 4 months ago.

Advertisement