Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete Newb

Options
  • 22-08-2006 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭

OK, go easy on me.

Haven't been fishing in 20 years since my dad use to take me.

Whether you call dangling a worm into river fishing nowadays I dunno, but I liked it anyway, and the buzz that catching even a sprat (that got threw back) is something else.....and it's time to take it up again, especially just after leaving Dublin.

I live in Mayo, not far from the river Moy, so Trout and Salmon I guess.

Any advice on bait (worms?) ... licences ? .... how to go about learning how to fish properly?

Would like to learn how to fly fish as well.

Sorry for the 'Newb' style question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Culchie wrote:
    OK, go easy on me.

Haven't been fishing in 20 years since my dad use to take me.

Whether you call dangling a worm into river fishing nowadays I dunno, but I liked it anyway, and the buzz that catching even a sprat (that got threw back) is something else.....and it's time to take it up again, especially just after leaving Dublin.

Any advice on bait (worms?) ... licences ? .... how to go about learning how to fish properly?

Would like to learn how to fly fish as well.

Sorry for the 'Newb' style question.
    The moy is supposed to be a great river for Salmon. Lidl do fishing gear every now & again and you could pick up their fly rod to get you started. You'll probably need to get a few lessons to get you going. Here is a link to the Moy fisheries....might have some info for you

http://www.northwestfisheries.ie/Moy/moy_fishery.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Culchie wrote:
    OK, go easy on me.

QUOTE]

Lucky Bas**** !

I was on the Moy at the weekend, fishing conditions were difficult as the water is so low but got a 6 1/2 and a 4 pounder on the fly.

Call into Tiernan Bros. Tackle shop in Foxford. They are good fellas and will advise you on where, when and how to fish the Moy.

P.S. Lidl gear can vary greatly in quality & suitability, their fly rods are totally unsuited for a river the size of the Moy. ( In my opinion they arent actually suitable for much at all!)

Good Luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

I'd be wary of getting straight into fly fishing. Why not try spinning first, and the rod you use would be more versatile. Possibly a 10 ft rod, though some people may suggest a carp rod.
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

Chopperdog wrote:
    P.S. Lidl gear can vary greatly in quality & suitability, their fly rods are totally unsuited for a river the size of the Moy. ( In my opinion they arent actually suitable for much at all!

they are great for SWFF.. caught some good pollock on them 5lbs+

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

the worm takes more fish on the moy than any other method. you will need to buy a state license and best to join a club next year, east mayo, foxford, attymass or ballina depending on where would be handy for you. you will be able to buy a licence in tackle shops if you live around ballina you can fish the cathedral beat(between the bridges) from 6pm-dark for 2euros tide depending on tide. different places and conditions will suit different methods. talk to some anglers and see what they are using or ask in the tackle shops. if your in ballina try ridge pool tackle shop, gary will sort you out.
    if i can help you anymore, just ask, best of luck.

p.s. luck like it will be worth fishing in the next couple of days if you could make it in time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭This is

that shop in fowford is brill they had a really good stall at the angling fair two years ago, if i were you id start out with spinners , (flying c's , tobies ) for salmon. ive found catching salmon with worms very hard as a novice and i kept getting big perch!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

the worm takes more fish on the moy than any other method. p.s. luck like it will be worth fishing in the next couple of days if you could make it in time.

Anyone fishing for salmon from sept 1st please see new regulations.

Note, all hooks must be barbless and worm fishing is prohibited.

http://www.cfb.ie/fishing_in_ireland/game/salmontagging.htm

Advertisement