Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maccabi Haifa Vs Liverpool CL Qualifier Leg 2 KO 7:35 - UTV

• 22-08-2006 9:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Gonna be a tough match this one. Agro has been building in Kiev. The Israeli journalists attacked Rafa - accusing him of pressuring UEFA into moving the venue.

Carra and Riise are out. Gerrard had a stomach bug yesterday and sat out training.

I reckon the team will line up like this:

Reina

Finnan
    Hyppia----Agger----Aurelio

Gerrard---Alonso---Sissoko---Gonzalez

Garcia

Crouch

While I would prefer to see:

Reina

Finnan
    Hyppia----Agger----Aurelio

Pennant---Alonso---Sissoko---Gonzalez

Gerrard

Crouch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I would like to see Bellamy in there, he is a real threat with his pace, I think that he will be looking to catch them on the counter and bellamy is best equipped to do that for us alongside the other two fast uns. Could be a chance to see Kuyt tonight too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Could be a chance to see Kuyt tonight too.

in the stands maybe - he didn't join us in time to be registered for this round.

I think Bellamy will sit on the bench tonight - we are a goal up, in europe, away from home, I think rafa will go with the 4-5-1 and Crouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

0-8 Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I would like to see...

Reina

Finnan---Hypia---Agger---Aurelio

Gerrard--Sissoko--Alonso--Gonzalez

Crouch--Bellamy

With Pennant coming on for Crouch at some stage and Gerrard moving in to the middle. Maybe Garcia showing himself at some stage also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Is anyone else worried what toll the tough journey to Kiev will have on the squad? And also Rafa's grilling from the Israeli press. Apparently there was delays getting off the ground, then delays getting baggage and then delays with Crouch getting his passport from the hold. Also delays with Gonzalez's passport.

That was hardly ideal and then it sounded like Rafa was being questioned by political journalists as opposed to sporting. If all of the above happened in Israel you could accuse them of gamesmanship, but appart for the journalists that's obviously not the case.

• Advertisement

p.pete wrote:
    Is anyone else worried what toll the tough journey to Kiev will have on the squad? And also Rafa's grilling from the Israeli press. Apparently there was delays getting off the ground, then delays getting baggage and then delays with Crouch getting his passport from the hold. Also delays with Gonzalez's passport.

That was hardly ideal and then it sounded like Rafa was being questioned by political journalists as opposed to sporting. If all of the above happened in Israel you could accuse them of gamesmanship, but appart for the journalists that's obviously not the case.

I have a feeling it will actually unify the squad and they will come out firing on all cylinders.

Tusky wrote:
    I have a feeling it will actually unify the squad and they will come out firing on all cylinders.
    Hope so, cos I'd say that's how the opposition will be regardless of how we turn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Going to be a very tough match I feel for Liverpool. Haifa have to atack them though so that may leave more room for liverpools pacemen. Haifa have some dangerous players in their side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Where is Riise? I havent been keeping up with the news because Ive been busy.
    Was he actually badly injured last weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Out for at least two weeks, likewise carragher.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I've got a very bad feeling about this match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

"The tense news conference ended a difficult day for Benitez and his players.

The club's flight from Liverpool was delayed for 90 minutes and they were forced to wait for another 90 minutes at Kiev airport to get their baggage.

Chile winger Mark Gonzalez and striker Peter Crouch were then help up at the airport by administrative difficulties.

To cap it all, captain Steven Gerrard had to sit out training with a stomach upset."

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

6-1 to Haifa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Controversial :p

I'm gonna go with a scrappy 2-0 win for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

1-1 imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I don't really care what team he picks so long as Zenden isnt in it!

Although I would like to see Pennant and Bellamy starting. My guess is that Bellamy will be a sub and that midfield will be made up of Pennant, Gerrard, Sissoko, Alonso and Garcia (in whatever formation), with Crouchie up top.

I can't see Haifa setting themselves out to be much more offensive than they were in Anfield. They will think that went fairly well for them, so they won't throw caution to the wind until they have to - say mid way through the second half. So he might save Bellamy until then..

I don't really care what team he picks so long as Zenden isnt in it!

Although I would like to see Pennant and Bellamy starting. My guess is that Bellamy will be a sub and that midfield will be made up of Pennant, Gerrard, Sissoko, Alonso and Garcia (in whatever formation), with Crouchie up top.

I can't see Haifa setting themselves out to be much more offensive than they were in Anfield. They will think that went fairly well for them, so they won't throw caution to the wind until they have to - say mid way through the second half. So he might save Bellamy until then..

Agreed. Zenden should not be played. Its hard enough to pick your centre midfield when you have Sissoko, Alonso & Gerrard in your squad. Zenden shouldnt even come into the equation unless two of them are injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I can see Haifa scoring, hopefully first and early, to make us attack more.

It's another european night for liverpool, so it's hard to know what to expect.

I'll go for a cagey 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Tusky wrote:
    Agreed. Zenden should not be played. Its hard enough to pick your centre midfield when you have Sissoko, Alonso & Gerrard in your squad. Zenden shouldnt even come into the equation unless two of them are injured.
    Only reason I can think of playing Zenden is to give him a run of games putting him in the shop window, although I'd like for him to stay this season as cover for the CM/LM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I'll go 0-0 or 1-0 'Pool. I agree with previous comments about Zenden.

• Advertisement

Zenden started to show some real form in the matches just before his injury. He's only playing his first few matches after being out for a long while. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

I have a really bad feeling about this game, i think haifa will be well up for this and will make this very difficult for Liverpool. I also agree that Zenden shouldn't be played, he really hasn't done anything since the start of the season.
    Liverpool must up their game from the sheffield utd game as if we play like that we wont be seeing champions league football this season

swalsh wrote:
    he really hasn't done anything since the start of the season.
    and it's been a long 4 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

p.pete wrote:
    and it's been a long 4 days.

and pre-season too i meant

swalsh wrote:
    and pre-season too i meant
    Ah yes, it's been a long season and pre-season. Does pre-season include previous seasons? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Haifa have to score so will attack Liverpool can't defend a half-goal lead so must attack. It could be fun!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Team is: Reina, Finnan, Hyypia, Agger, Warnock, Pennant, Alonso, Sissoko, Gonzalez, Garcia, Crouch

Bench : Dudek, Kromkamp, Gerrard, Fowler, Auerilo, Bellamy, Zenden

Team is: Reina, Finnan, Hyypia, Agger, Warnock, Pennant, Alonso, Sissoko, Gonzalez, Garcia, Crouch

Bench : Dudek, Kromkamp, Gerrard, Fowler, Auerilo, Bellamy, Zenden

Reina

Finnan---Hypia---Agger---Warnock

Pennant--Alonso--Sissoko--Gonzalez

Garcia
    Crouch

most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Tusky wrote:

Reina

Pennant--Alonso--Sissoko--Gonzalez

Garcia
    Crouch

most likely.

Or

Reina

Alonso--Sissoko

----Pennant
    Garcia--Gonzalez

Crouch

if Rafa is feeling more adventurous!

• Advertisement

Or

Reina

Alonso--Sissoko

----Pennant
    Garcia--Gonzalez

Crouch

if Rafa is feeling more adventurous!

Yeah, thats more likely actually. I would prefer it, more attacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

playing warnock in such an important match is crazy imo

Gerrard on the bench again! He was rested for most of yesterdays session so thats not too hopeful.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Think Stevie may not be feeling well. I thik if we cant get a result against these guys on Neutral ground we dont deserve to make the Group stages. Simple as that. If we were playing in Israel then yes I would see a tentative nervous team. But its neutral so I expect us to show our class and quality and get the result we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

el rabitos wrote:
    playing warnock in such an important match is crazy imo

So aurelio should be playing? god knows he doesnt cost us goals. saying it was his first game in the pl is irrelevant btw, marking is the same in any country. Warnock has done decent when given a chance. He gets stuck in to tackles where a lot of other go in half hearted. HE gives his all, which is more than can be said for some at times.

Anyway, he's got twice as good a goal scoring record as carra, must be worth a go.:D

It's good that now we are playing with two new, quick wingers, the majority of balls seem to be getting hoofed. Either way, even if we do start using wingers for crosses we have a 6'7" giant who cant head a ball to save his life. Im going to predict that goals are going to come from outside/edge of the box and from either Garcia or Alonso. Maybe a Hyypia goal from a corner.

Good to see the panic hasnt left the defences and the back post marking is still as good as ever. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Heh, running out of left-backs now. :)

Garcia to nick one before half-time.
    Stekelly wrote:
    saying it was his first game in the pl is irrelevant btw, marking is the same in any country.
    Well, its worth noting he may not have played competitively with zonal-marking since Benitez left Valencia 2years ago, so he's bound to be rusty.

There you go El Rabitos. Warnock off.

This is not looking good for left footed players so far this season. Gonzalez & Aurelio the only two left sided players fit?

SofaKing wrote:
    Heh, running out of left-backs now. :)

Garcia to nick one before half-time.

Well, its worth noting he may not have played competitively with zonal-marking since Benitez left Valencia 2years ago, so he's bound to be rusty.

He stood looking at the player standing in front of him, the player then started running and went straight by him, all the while he watched him in a lazy disinterested, "im not bothering my hole chasing him" kind of way. It reminded me of Henry's goal V Brazil in the wc where Roberto carlos watched him running for about 10 secs before he scored.

Whats up with Alonso? He keeps pumping long balls. :( Garcia could be on a hat trick! The keeper has done very well again, I'd like to see a bit more ooomph, while Liverpool are contolling the game it lacks something (apart from a goal).

Mike.

Yeah, I never like these games where we pepper the goal with chances but dont score, tends to end badly. Get Robbie on.

I reckon crouch should play at the back, he'd be guarenteed never to score an og. :D

• Advertisement

I don't believe it! :eek: another headed goal from that man Crouch.

Holy crap, a crouch headed goal. Get that one in the museum. Great work by Pennant,

who'd have thunk using a winger to beat players and put a cross in would result in a goal.:rolleyes:

And then almost immediatly crouch shows why people are surprised when he scores with his head. Why the hell does he climb all over players and not bother jumping. Did anyone tell him he's freakishly tall? I reckon he has one of those fairground mirrors at home and thinks he's only 4'8.

Dont worry lads, no need to actually tackle any players. Agger very lightweight there.

1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sissoko doesnt look good at all.

What a nightmare start injury wise for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Bloody hell, we are going to have no squad left! Gerrard on Sissoko off.

......and breathe! :)

Mike.

Crouch my man of the match, he was brilliant. Honorable mentions to Hypia, Agger & Gonzalez. I thought Pennant was fairly awful arpart from the assist. Garcia started well but faded out of the game...Aurelio showed he is quite a tough player, likes a tackle.

I'd have shot Garcia at almost any point of the second half.

I had to laugh at the logic of not playing Gerrard until Rafa had to, if he was match fit then he must start, the moment he came on they looked more thrusting.

Mike.

Mixed performance there. Haifa deserve more credit than a lot of people give them though.

Surprised by Warnock's inclusion - but didn't last long. Pennant didn't get involved as much as I'd like - despite creating the goal - I felt Gonzalez contributed far more.

Anyway - job done - draw on thursday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement