Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Pots & Pans Thread (Merged)

Options
  • 22-08-2006 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I binned another cheap and nasty saucepan yesterday. It supposedly had a lifetime guarantee but it was less than a year old and the non-stick coating had started to peel. On top of that it was a rubbish design - the handle was heavier than the pot making it prone to tipping over, especially on my gas hob.

Am sick of cheapo rubbish saucepans. I'm considering investing in a really good set of pots and pans. What are your recommendations?

I've done a bit of rummaging about on the web and have sussed out the following (though I stand to be corrected if I've got this all wrong):
    1. All Clad is considered the mutts nuts in the US of A but isn't readily available here (though have found a coulpe of suppliers on e-bay who may/will ship to Ireland)
    2. Le Creuset is considered the mutts nuts on this side of the pond
    3. Le Creuset have launched a range called Trivita which is similar in construction to All Clad pots (stainless steel triply construction)
    4. You've got to shell out quite a serious lump of cash to get good quality pots and pans

So, have you any experience of the aforementioned brands? Any other recommendations? Where should I buy the best pots and pans? How much should I realistically be shelling out? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

coolaboola wrote:
    I binned another cheap and nasty saucepan yesterday. It supposedly had a lifetime guarantee but it was less than a year old and the non-stick coating had started to peel. On top of that it was a rubbish design - the handle was heavier than the pot making it prone to tipping over, especially on my gas hob.

Am sick of cheapo rubbish saucepans. I'm considering investing in a really good set of pots and pans. What are your recommendations?

I've done a bit of rummaging about on the web and have sussed out the following (though I stand to be corrected if I've got this all wrong):
    1. All Clad is considered the mutts nuts in the US of A but isn't readily available here (though have found a coulpe of suppliers on e-bay who may/will ship to Ireland)
    2. Le Creuset is considered the mutts nuts on this side of the pond
    3. Le Creuset have launched a range called Trivita which is similar in construction to All Clad pots (stainless steel triply construction)
    4. You've got to shell out quite a serious lump of cash to get good quality pots and pans

So, have you any experience of the aforementioned brands? Any other recommendations? Where should I buy the best pots and pans? How much should I realistically be shelling out? Any suggestions gratefully received.

I'd recommend that you go into TKMaxx and have a look down the back in the kitchen section, you can get reduced sets for good prices, I recently got a professional set, cant remember the make and it does a really good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I'd go for a full set of 7 layered copper & titanium bad boys if I had the cash. Le creuset are great, but a bit clunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've got all Swiss made pans myself ... Spring and Sigg. They're built to withstand a nuclear attack and I'm sure they'll outlive me before they break, if they ever do. For hob-to-oven type scenarios Le Creuset still wins for me. No non-stick though, if that's what you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Homestore plus more had Jamie Oliver Teafal range on at near half price at Belgard Retail Park. I don't know if they are good thou. A 7 set retailed just below 400 and on sale a just above 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have a stainless steel Wedgewood stock pot and big frying pan (which is non-stick, but after 5 years is still intact). They're heavy bottomed, but not overly weighty.

I think Le Creuseut (?) are ridiculously over-priced. I have a set of three different sized cast-iron pans that I picked up in a kitchen-supply stall in the English Market here in Cork for €20 and they're superb. They're one piece, ie the handle and the pan are cast as one. They're heavy, and very easy to clean. You don't have to worry about non-stick as long as you keep them seasoned, and they can handle very high heat.

I have a Le Creuset skillet pan that I received as a gift and while it is great, I cannot honestly see a difference between it and my pans from the stall.

I also have a small cast-iron covered enamelled saucepan in the vein of Le Creuset that I picked up in a similar stall. However, the handle is added on to the pot and is wooden covered and this would be a weak point in it's construction. However, again due to the cast-iron, there are no issues with non-stick and heat.

if you do splash out on pans with a non-stick coating, make sure to also buy loads of wooden and plastic utensils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think Le Creuseut (?) are ridiculously over-priced.
    Modern day le Creuset pans do indeed seem to have gone downhill a little in quality (i.e. light weight), and have increased in price too. Mine are well over 20 years old and are still going strong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I've got a mixture. I've got three great items I snaffled at different times out of TK Maxx - a stainless steel one-handled saucepan, great for rice and pasta, a stainless steel two handed pot great for stews and large all-in-one dishes. Both have glass lids, which I'm not crazy about, but they're heavy duty, well balanced and the lids do fit properly. I've a copper-bottomed deep fry pan that I also found at TK Maxx, which I love, which has a steel lid that fits properly.

I've got a stainless steel wok that was bought cheap and has been lovingly seasoned for years, and for which I bought a lid about a year after I bought the wok. I've got a le creuset casserole which I bought on sale from amazon.co.uk, for about £30 less than the retail price. I've got a set of three bourgeat non-stick frying pans my brother bought me for my birthday two years ago, and they're going strong (the coating lasts and lasts on these if you're careful with it).

I've got a vitreous enamel stock pot I bought for a tenner that holds about five litres.

I've got one small, heavy, stainless steel saucepan, with a glass lid again, that does for boiling milk, making sauces, the small jobs.

What's my point? I wouldn't trade any of that mix and match rag tag bunch of pots and pans. I'm not ecstatic about glass lids on pans, but the ones I have fit the pans properly and aren't designed to disguise light-weight, cheap assed pans (you know when they tape the lid to the pot, and you get it home and realise the weight was all lid...)

I've got something for everything I cook - I never find myself rooting through the cupboards thinking 'Damn, have I got a [insert pot]...' when I'm cooking. I acquired it over time, bought good items when I had the money, or when there were sales on. I've got hobware, ovenware, tableware, hob-to-oven, oven-to-table, hob-to-oven-to-table, and I don't think any two items are the same brand name, other than the three pans I got as a gift.

If you don't have a small fortune to spend on a full set of pans, why don't you shop around and spend money on one or two items that'll form a staple part of your kitchen for years?

[EDIT]Or remortgage and buy a set of Mauviel Cuprinox...[/EDIT]
    [EDIT AGAIN]And then move into a hard water area and spend your entire life cleaning them. :D [/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think that my next purchase will be a 18 or 20 cm Calphalon One pot.
    I have 2 Le Creuset casserole type pots but I chipped the enamel on two of them by using electric rings and heating the pot dry.
    The third pot is a french make that is the same as le creuset but was about 1/2 the price.
    I also have a 28cm Le creuset frypan that has turned black over the years.
    But the pots that I use most are Tefal non stick and I have heard some bad things about non stick over the years and am trying to move away from teflon coated pots.
    Oh I almost forgot, I have a cheap ass wok that I got from the Asian Market and that is awesome, you can't beat a cheap carbon steel wok with no teflon lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Interesting reading! Sounds like my best bet might be to rummage around TK Maxx rather than opting for the super-expensive brands?

coolaboola wrote:
    Interesting reading! Sounds like my best bet might be to rummage around TK Maxx rather than opting for the super-expensive brands?

That's what I'd recommend, you can get a whole set reduced sometimes to 20% of the RRP purely because of the deals that TKMaxx seem to be able to negotiate. The brands are still good brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The guts of my cookware is all Le Pentole, which I'm pretty happy with and don't intend to change. I'd go with Le Creuset for certain things like casserole dishes, and I still haven't found a frying pan that I'll never switch from.

True. Very true. Whle I picked up a lot of my kit for a decent price, its horrifically expensive - a lid will set me back 25 quid sterling. Pots start at about 50 of those english pounds, and go up to 150 or so. Wince.

On the other hand, you should never have to replace good quality pots and pans. Bit like kitchen knives in that sense.

Yup, bonkey, cheap pots and pans are a false economy. If I'd spent what I've spent to date on rubbish pots and pans I could have got me a really good set.

Ditto on the knives. Any recommendations on that front?

coolaboola wrote:
    Yup, bonkey, cheap pots and pans are a false economy. If I'd spent what I've spent to date on rubbish pots and pans I could have got me a really good set.

Have a look around TKMaxx again, it's a veritable wonderland of inexpensive yet good quality kitchen equipment.

I really have a soft spot for Victorinox knives.
    I know that they are not the most glamorous of knives and that they probably don't have a signature of a celebrity chef on them but as far as reasonably priced good quality knives go they are hard to beat.
    I would look for a 19cm cooks knife and possibly a larger 25cm or so version
    The Fibrox handle is good and grippy even after nearly 10 years of hard daily use mine are still going strong.
    I have heard great things about the edge holding ability of global knives but also terrible things about blades breaking when dropped.
    If you do manage to break a Victorinox they aren't that dear to buy again.

edit:One thing with Victorinox is that the steel is quite hard 59-60 rockwell and hey can be difficult to sharpen if you let them get too blunt, I have a Spyderco triangle sharpmaker model 204 and quite honestly it is the best sharpener that I have ever used on any knife, considering that I have tried almost every type of sharpener available including diamond,DMT etc that is high praise from me.

just my 0.02c

coolaboola wrote:
    There was a thread about knives a while back...think it was titled something about sharpening them.

Victorinox are a great "value" buy - they're not Rolls Royce, but they're what pretty-much every trainee chef in Switzerland is told to buy starting off, and they will last a lifetime. You can get wooden-handled ones if you want, but most people prefer the man-made grips.

Global are also very popular and good...if you like that type of thing. I don't find the metal handles good to work with, so they're not for me.

My preferences generally run to any of the good Solingen makes - Dreizach, Henckels/Zwilling, etc.

In the kitchen at home, we've a set of Zwilling 4-star at the moment. I hate the grips on them, but they were cheap at the time and will do as a backup to the set I'm slowly acquiring...which are Goldhamster First-Class Edition (by Schaaf). The Kingswood handles just suit me down to the ground, and the blades themselves are as good as they get, really.
    edit:One thing with Victorinox is that the steel is quite hard 59-60 rockwell and hey can be difficult to sharpen if you let them get too blunt,
    I think you might be a touch high on the Rockwell there, but in general what you're saying is true of any good knife.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

bonkey wrote:
    I still haven't found a frying pan that I'll never switch from.

Try Bourgeat. I'm a sworn convert. I've got three sizes of these: http://www.bourgeat.fr/us/produit/batterie_4coalu.htm and they're the best non-stick pan I've ever owned. Not normally a huge non-stick fan, I've had these three almost a year and the non-stick coating isn't batting an eyelid. Their heat distribution is great as well - no disproportionate hotspots. If their other ranges are half as good as these, they're well worth the money. Plus - shop around on the net - you can little knock £20-30 off your asking price if you do a bit of hunting.
    coolaboola wrote:

On knives, I'm a cheerleader for Global - the G series, rather than the drop-forged GF series. I find them light and well-balanced. But you have got to buy the sharpener with the little ceramic wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I the Billy cookhouse we use a set of Judge pots that I'd swear by.

Pretty much the only knife I use is a chinese cleaver - even for small fiddly jobs.

One thing that I still haven't found in all my years of cooking is a decent frying pan. No matter what I buy they "belly" after a while. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My mother gave me a set of knives years ago that she got through an offer in Super Valu. And they're still going strong. I use a steel to sharpen them, switching to a soapstone when they're a little too dull.

I probably will replace them eventually, but I'm in no hurry to do so, as they're showing no sign of wear and they hold their edges pretty well. For some bizarre reason, the chef's knife in the set fits my hand perfectly and it's weight distribution suits me brilliantly.

It's so hard to buy knives, as you really do have to try them out to see if they fit and suit.

Thanks for all those tips. Will have to take a printout of this post with me when I hit TK Maxx!

Hill Billy, interesting that you use only a Chinese cleaver. According to http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article.php?id=39&title=Kitchen+Knives its consistently rated as the single most essential in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I bought it years ago in the Asian Market on Drury Street in Dublin. Cost maybe £15 then. It took me a while to get used to it - family & friends have unknowingly eaten more than their fair share of my fingertips! :o

I find it great for scooping up whatever I've prepared to transfer to pot or pan, or peelings to the compost bin. Nice & wide too for bashing garlic, peppercorns, etc.

Would highly recommend using one, but they are not for the faint-hearted or clumsy. Also not great if "little darlings" are hanging around the kitchen!

• Advertisement

I use one of those chinese cleavers now and again as well, they have them in the Oriental Emporium on Jervis Street, they're still about 15 euros for the large ones.

I also got a lovely large sized mortar and pestle there, really good for making pesto and it's made of soapstone and really has some weight, great for making pesto or curry powders, there's no messing about with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

The basics when buying saucepans:

18-10 stainless steel
    Handle attached to body with rivets, not welded.
    Good heavy base, turn it over and knock on it with your knuckle, Copper bonded sandwich base is the business.

For that step beyond you can go for non stick interior etc.

The basics when buying a chefs knife:
    You shouldn't be able to bend the blade.
    The handle should be attached to the blade with rivets.
    Forged knives are better quality.
    Make sure it feels good in your hand.

As I said it's just the basics. I could crap on for a few paragraphs about types of lids makes brands models etc etc. Regarding knives, I find that 1 Chefs knife does just about everything for me, a proper filleting knife is useful too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Gone threw a few of those thermo spot pans from that company I can't remember the name of, but I picked up a really heavy frying pan from TK Maxx and its the business. Can't remember the brand but TK Maxx is great at picking up quality kitchen utensils at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi all

i use stellar pots, cast iron pans, and carbon steel woks (as mentioned)
    i bought some jamie frypans in the homestore sale

check out nisbets.ie
    (cork based, will post for e10)
    they sell the professional kitchen stuff to the public

they do all the proper equipment at good prices
    they do the bourgeot stuff mentioned earlier

I am also a global fan and built up a collection of 8
    they are superb, buy the watersharpener recommended by them
    and a ceramic steel (the global one is a rip off) try get a cheaper one

rgds

four

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

We got some newbridge silverware pots for a wedding present and I must say they are superb , good heavy base but be warned they are not non-stick.

http://195.218.114.18/newbridge-2005/global/productDetail.asp?supertype=78&type=99&page=1&id=1000

M

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

Are there any of the culinery types on this board who have
    an opinion on using magnetic induction hob.
    I ask because I know that a limitation is that the vessels must
    have ferromagnetic properties and I noticed this is a discussion
    on the best pots/pans.

Our Creuset stuff is fine but we would have to replace pots
    which are stainless steel (but at this stage nearing 12 yrs of
    age.. wedding present...). Will we be seriously limited on
    account of the magnetism restriction ? Is it possible (for
    example) to get a wok which has a magnetic base.
    Our TEFAL one definitely isn't magnetic.

From what I read on the DIY forum and on AAM house/diy forums
    a lot of folks seem to think they come close to gas in terms
    of responsivity. My wife isn't keen on putting in a gas supplied
    oven (we won't be living in an area supplied by natural gas).

iplogger1 wrote:
    but we would have to replace pots
    which are stainless steel (but at this stage nearing 12 yrs of
    age.. wedding present...).

Why? I thought steel was fine on induction cookers?

A quick check with google seems to support this. Any page I've seen describing the requirements clarifies ferrous or ferromagnetic by saying something like "typcally cast iron or stainless steel".

AFAIK most pots and pans are made from 300 series stainless, (316 etc)which is non magnetic.
    As you go higher in the stainless chart 440 etc stainless becomes magnetic but too brittle for use in pots.
    There are some pots that have a trilaminate base with stainless sandwiching a carbon steel core that allow use on an induction hob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

We got EUR200 of One 4 All vouchers as a gift and we want to buy some decent pots and pans for a change.

Anyone got any good recomendations, we dont need a whole lot of stuff, just a two of us but something good to start off and obviously the stockist has to accept One 4 All vouchers.

Thanks

Advertisement