Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builders V Sub-Contracting V Employing a 'Foreman'

• 22-08-2006 9:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭

Did a search and Surprised this hasn't come up before.

I'm about to build a decent sized house in the North West, and am still undecided what way to go about building, as I've been advised so many different things.

'Builders' are incredibly difficult to get hold of, might have to wait up to 1 year in some cases ..... but if there's one available tomorrow morning, you have top ask yourself ...why?
    Builders tend to be far more expensive, especially if they are good.

Sub-Contracting myself .... not really an option, as I don't know enough about the construction business, and I would be a cowboys dream customer:(

Employing a 'Foreman' ..... leaning towards this at the moment, have been given the name of a couple of people... they hire in the required tradesmen (as per sub-contracting option) and are basically paid a 'project management' fee. I'm told this option could save up to 40% of building costs if you employ the 'right man'.

Opinions welcome?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

a foreman is really a competent builder but without the truck and the cashflow to pay for materials until you pay him .

no reason the theory will not work, at least get him to do all of

1. Site preparation
    2. Raft
    3. Walls and insulation
    4. Windows
    5. Roofing it
    6. First fix carpentry
    7. First fix plumbing and septic tank
    8. First fix electrics

9. Plaster inside and outside

you could supervise (sub out) the rest yourself .

second fixes, tiling flooring and painting and soffits and fascias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Alternatively you could also employ an architect to supervise the project and make sure everything is built to regulation. It would cost more, but they have PI which should give you come-back should anything go wrong.

For more opinions there is an architects discussion forum at
    http://www.irish-architecture.com/

Let us know what you decide and how you get on.

Cheers

Fintan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YAPP

When are you starting works?
    Where is your build?

May be able to help i nthe matter.

Is it a TF or Trad block build house?

YAPP:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

YAPP wrote:
    When are you starting works?
    Where is your build?

May be able to help i nthe matter.

Is it a TF or Trad block build house?

YAPP:D
    I hope you mean voluntary help/advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Builder will be a lot more expensive.

Self build is possible for those without knowledge. You have to ask lots of questions and learn as you go along.

Employ an engineer (most likely needed for finance anyway) and have them oversee the project. They should be able to point out problems.

Builders sub out a lot of work anyway so if you can get some
    recommendations for trades you can make a lot of the calls yourself. They then charge you a profit on top of what the trades are charging you and they also make a profit on the materials.

A foreman will refer back to you anyway (for decisions relating to products and services you want used in the house) and will probably be looking for year's salary out (if block build) out of your job. So bear that in mind.

A foreman will also not be bothered looking for value on materials whereas if you are spending your money you will shop around and can save thousands on materials by doing so.

If you do go and employ a foreman you want to make sure he is a type of handyman type guy too who is prepared to much in and clean up after the various trades, get ready for next phase and haul materials around the site in preparation for next guy coming along and clean up before you move in etc. Otherwise you will end up doing this yourself or paying additional labour to do this. If you are subbing out a lot of work to the trades, no-one cleans up after themselves so someone has to do it. You can do it at weekends and save money that way too.

If you do most of the supervision and sourcing and arranging materials, labour etc it will take a lot of you time but save you a lot of money.

Go for it....do self build....lots of us here have and have survived.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Aido c

If you are leaning towards a foreman - that's a good point raised by the gent talking about making the foreman do some work- thats a balance, because how do you make him, if you push him too much you will find he will go sit on the builders side of the table and if he does very little, then you will be paying a man for a year to do nothing.

If you are going to pay somebody to do nothing (ie. no onsite labour) go find a good Quantity Surveyor www.scs.ie, they have a focus, knowledge and a pride in keeping costs down. They will give you greater cost guarantees and make sure that no subcontractor gets over paid. If you can find a QS, who works in a practice, preferably commuting near or past your house to work in a large practice, you would be amazed what he/she can do for you for minimal money managing this job as a nixer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Demps

Culchie,

Interested did You progres with a foreman or project manager - I am waiting on planning to come through (hopefully!) and am considering this option as well.

Thanks

Advertisement