Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any opinions on Imagine broadband and phone package?

Options
  • 22-08-2006 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Imagine say for a EUR 20 per month charge, they give me for 1mb broadband service, + plus free phone calls in Ireland. Any opinions on the reliability and value of this service? There seems to be little on the board - hence I guess few subscriptions at Imagine so far. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Timeisluck

cckkab wrote:
    Imagine say for a EUR 20 per month charge, they give me for 1mb broadband service, + plus free phone calls in Ireland. Any opinions on the reliability and value of this service? There seems to be little on the board - hence I guess few subscriptions at Imagine so far. Thanks.

I have had imagine for some time now andjust taken this offer, upgraded to it 3 weeks ago. I get 1Mb plus all the local/national calls for 19.98. I also got them to give me low prices to China and portugal, they can give you on the spot prices that beat anyone else, you have to ask them though for this....

The service to be fair will be the same as Eircom as all imagine broadband is wholesale from Eircom so it's the same service, just cheaper....

Anyway, I am happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Anyone else got a review of Imagine? Considering changing to them as it costs me 100 yoyos for line rental, 3mb broadband and unlimited national calls with eircom and it would only cost 65 with imagine. It's the same service afaik cause imagine are reselling eircom stuff so would just like to hear anyones reviews if they have them? Thx!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 KOSS [TGK]

I strongly suggest staying with eircom, its cheaper with other providers, but remember who owns all the lines. The reason you pay more is because if your line fails, breaks etc and you are with eircom it will be fixed, no charge at all. However, if you are with ANY other network in the republic, you will have to pay them just to even look at the line let alone fix it. Also, the service from eircom is 99.9% garenteed problem free, proper Irish service with Irish workers and by choosing eircom you are choosing our own. these other networks feed off eircoms lines, and eircom can only charge them what the regulator states is a fair price. Its a bit dearer but in the long run your 100% garenteed better quality and assurence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

KOSS, you make it sound like everyone should be with eircom.....and if they lived up to what you say, we might be!

If eircom were as good as all that, they wouldn't need any dirty tricks to try to win back customers.
    100 yoyos for line rental, 3mb broadband and unlimited national calls with eircom and it would only cost 65 with imagine
    Same package is €45 with Smart, with an optional +3Mb if your line supports it.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Is Smart not gone!!! I wouldn't go to them anyway.

Thx for the post Koss, any other takers with a point of view?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Is Smart not gone!!!
    No, it's not, and the fact that you asked the question means that eircom's hatchet job has worked. Smart's reported demise ranks alongside Saddam's WMD's - much reported but non-existent.
    I wouldn't go to them anyway.
    Nice logic - not sure what criteria you're judging your provider on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

KOSS [TGK] wrote:
    The reason you pay more is because if your line fails, breaks etc and you are with eircom it will be fixed, no charge at all.

You are some fairy you are , you either work for that shower or have never rung in a fault , especially an intermittent .

eircom never ever ever ever fix or look at lines if they can avoid it, the only reason they eventually fixed mine was because the local engineer knew full well that I owned a chainsaw.....and would happily use it to remove faulty eircom equipment that was affecting my connection speeds .

90% of Irish persons with a genuine fault have been told at some stage or another that thir line was working perfectly. 100% of the time that was an eircom employee who told them that lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

KOSS [TGK] wrote:
    Also, the service from eircom is 99.9% garenteed problem free, proper Irish service
    Last I checked, Imagine was an Irish company, and eircom was a subsidiary of an Australian company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 KOSS [TGK]

Sponge Bob wrote:
    You are some fairy you are , you either work for that shower or have never rung in a fault , especially an intermittent .

eircom never ever ever ever fix or look at lines if they can avoid it, the only reason they eventually fixed mine was because the local engineer knew full well that I owned a chainsaw.....and would happily use it to remove faulty eircom equipment that was affecting my connection speeds

Well no I dont work for them, but I have been on 4 other providers within the last few years, and eircom are by far top notch in terms of service and avalibility in this country. You either live out the country or in some rural area because if you were with any other provider, chances are that your problem would never be fixed. eircom own the lines, so their in charge of repairing them, so in the end its them who have 2 come out and look at it, and if they dont want 2 or are 2 lazy, how is any other provider going 2 do better lol, i do think they are more expencive, BT broadband is a very good choice aswell as eircom

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

KOSS [TGK] wrote:
    Well no I dont work for them, but I have been on 4 other providers within the last few years, and eircom are by far top notch in terms of service and avalibility in this country. You either live out the country or in some rural area because if you were with any other provider, chances are that your problem would never be fixed. eircom own the lines, so their in charge of repairing them, so in the end its them who have 2 come out and look at it, and if they dont want 2 or are 2 lazy, how is any other provider going 2 do better lol, i do think they are more expencive, BT broadband is a very good choice aswell as eircom

BT, Imagine, etc. all resell Eircoms products over Eircoms line (Bitstream), so if it is available from Eircom it is by default also available to all the other operators.

Eircom is not required to fix lines that are not suitable for BB, they are only required to fix lines that voice is not working on.

Eircom do run something called the amber program, if your line is border line and marked as amber in their line test database, then they will come to your house and make minor adjustments to your line to try and get it working for BB. This program is also open to all Eircom resellers, so for instance if you try to order BB from BT and your line is marked as an amber line, then BT will request Eircom to go out and fix your line and you will then be able to get BB from BT.

Finally, while typically not available in rural areas, Smart and Magnet use ADSL2+ in their LLU exchanges. This technology is newer and better then that used by Eircom and frequently lines that fail with Eircom will work on ADSL2+ from Smart or Magnet. Unfortunately this is usually only available in urban areas, but worth noting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jconn

I just signed up with Imagine yesterday and was told my phone line would be transferred over from Eircom within 10 days and I would have broadband within 20 days.

The free broadband option looks like it will suit our needs >20 hours per month and no charge, so for €35 per month I get unlimited local/national calls, line rental and free broadband (up to 20 hrs).

This sounds ok to me, anyone have any recent experience with Imagine?

Advertisement