Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lan Cable

Options
  • 22-08-2006 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

im in need of a lot lan cable, im in louth, does anyone know were i might get it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

how much is alot? Are we talking a mile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

trade/building supply store is probably your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

http://www.conlonquinn.com/main_a.html

In Dundalk. Bought a 305m cat5 cable in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

How much Petes?

Just trying to find that out. Don't think it was too expensive.

They have no prices on the website but this is about right if I can remember correctly.

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=1864&type=6&path=11x155x514

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

about 150 metres,is what i need, but it will be good to have spare, i'll tip into dundalk tomorrow and check it out. where is that shop?

The address on the website is "Mullholland Avenue, Dundalk, Co. Louth, Ireland".

Not sure how well you know Dundalk. I'd be crap at giving directions to it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

moved to net/ coms.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wild_eyed wrote:
    about 150 metres,is what i need, but it will be good to have spare, i'll tip into dundalk tomorrow and check it out. where is that shop?
    Buy a 305m box , it's probably cheaper and you can run pairs of cables in the same amount of time, you don't need to terminate the yet

www.connectix.ie are fairly good on price if you know anyone down in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

why would i want to run pairs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wild_eyed wrote:
    why would i want to run pairs?
    Because the main labour cost/time/effort is in getting one cable along a route, running a second cable takes very little extra effort.

advantages
    if you want to run a phone line or send video or audio over the cable
    you could even run 4 phone lines over one cat 5 cable
    if the original cable gets damaged
    you can bond network cards together to get twice the bandwidth
    or run power over it to a remote access point
    or
    maybe you might need a second network cable there later, as before you don't need to terminate it - just have a spare cable sitting there ready - like power sockets and wardrobes you usually need more later on

point is a 305m box won't be much more than 150m and you could sell on the extra if you don't use it

if you can go the extra tenner get low halon cable, less toxic gas if there is a fire

Advertisement