Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Gaming TV Programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It has to be made by gamers, not only aimed at gamers. Sick of shows where the presenters are obviously not interested in games and don't know what the hell they're talking about. If someone on the show is really excited about a game, they should be able to talk about it on the show or have a preview/review of it, so the show doesn't revolve around who is giving you the most free games to review or which company you'd like to keep happy, it should be unbiased, enthusiastic and based on a love of games.

Also, as a girl, I'd ask that you please please please don't hire some pretty blonde who could care less about games and is just there as scenery. If you're going to have a female presenter, she should be someone that is a gamer, not someone who is paid to stand there and look cute. That annoys me. Maybe the guys would feel differently, but I like to think that if I were a guy I wouldn't want people to undermine my intelligence like that, but then again sex sells.

Do include coverage of events or LAN parties. Don't hire rabid fanboys, and don't cover only one console (PS2 isn't the only thing out there...). Don't cover only the popular hype games like the next GTA or more-boring-EA-sports-games. Cover good games, maybe imports too, maybe a small retro section as someone else mentioned.

Competitions/challenges can work, but has to be done carefully. "Gamezville" is a great example of how not to do it. I'd rather scoop out one of my eyeballs with a rusty spoon than watch two 12-year-olds play some lame racing game against eachother.

Oh, and good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Cover some lan-parties around the country - big and small.

The World Cyber Games are coming in September. Winners in the various comps go to Monza, Italy to represent us in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Get Kevo to present it, its bleedin rapih on teh PEA ESS TOO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

gamesmaster.jpg

FTW :D

Back in the day I loved this show, the presenters where excellent and having an astronomer as the gamesmaster made all the nerd boys swoon. Wasn't the blonde presenter with short hair turned into a character in micro machines?

I think competitions should be included. But like was said, shown in a "highlights" fashion after the event. Like best goals in a footy game, or best kills in a FPS. Don't have any gimmicks, just games. You could do specials on how certain games are made, conventions and lans around the world.

Also do a hardware section for PC gamers. Keeping my computer being able to play the latest games and actually playing them go hand in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,361 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

http://www.bravo.co.uk/gamertv/

gamer tv is brilliant show

great to watch

and cybernet is still on these days on rapture tv .......sky number 193

Rapture tv has japaneese animation like full metal
    enjoying to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Koneko wrote:
    It has to be made by gamers, not only aimed at gamers

etc.

I think your ideas are admirable and would definitely slot into the "in a perfect world" scenario. However almost everything you've suggested goes against the way television shows are produced. Someone who is photogenic and good on camera is unlikely to be that into games etc. Most blonde bimbos who Mr. TV Producer would love to see on camera, wouldn't likely have a clue about gaming. Not saying this is true of everyone, but as a general rule it seems to be the case.

I think we have to accept that the "front end" of such a show would be cringeworthy, but good content would make a world of difference. That's why I previously lauded the "no-presenter" approach, as taken by Cybernet.

Incidentally, anyone know if there's a channel on NTL that shows Cybernet? I loved that show. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I wasn't saying it was feasible though ;)
    Just giving my input on what I'd like to see, but the general public (very casual gamers) wouldn't agree because they just want to see footage of crappy sports games and maybe some footage of booth babes spliced in there. Also depends on whether you're making a show that you hope will be popular/successful, or good, the two rarely meet on game shows. And no proper tv channel will want an unsuccessful good game show, it'd have a small audience, and thus low ratings.

No presenter approach is good though. Consolevania is good but you'd just be ripping it off, it'd be hard to do an original show that's similar to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

cover ps2,xbox,pc,360 games, stay from mobile phone games,dont be patronising,stay away from hype up products ,like the so called nokio handheld fiasco.GET at least 1 presenter that actually knows and plays games,without getting too technical,we dont wanna hear about the latest graphics card thats maybe 10percent faster than last weeks model,if you pay 400euro for it.GET at least 1 presenter with a good sense of humour.HAVE UP TO DATE CLIPS OF NEW GAMES, a good idea,wud be 1 week the best ever 5 games on ps2, next week the best ever on pc etc.be critical, ie bf2 is a great game if you have a superpc with broadband,not much use as a single player game.EXAMPLE item, why is ps3 being sold with no hdmi in the basic model.What type of tv do you really need to play ps3 ,xbox360 at full resolution ,1080p.I think violet berlin on bravo was the best ever tv presenter,in the area of electronic games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Deffo cover LANs, with the WCG september, Midlans 400 player in October, Gamecon 10 Novemberish and GHM around December it looks like it'll almost be a monthly thing. Lets hope it continues

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Once we have Dublin Community Television up and running you're all welcome to come and make a games show... by gamers for gamers no matter how ugly you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Consolevania really should be your first port of call. It's a show about games, and full of jokes about obscure import games and whathaveyou, but it doesnt make you cringe when you look at it. It doesnt treat the viewer as an idiot, and it doesnt stray into listing off the unique selling points of a game. The reviews are brutally honest, and that's why it has become, for many, essential viewing.

As has been said, cheats&tips sections and gaming challenges make for absolutely rubbish TV. I'd stick to news, previews/reviews and features (behind the scenes, interviews, retrospectives, that kind of thing). Above all, present it in an intelligent way - look at other non-gaming magazine shows like Top Gear or Film 06 (is that still going?) and take the lead from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

GHM around December it looks like it'll almost be a monthly thing

hah

*BREAKING NEWS* two mice have been stolen.

yeh, no, definelately cover lans.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

L31mr0d wrote:
    Wasn't the blonde presenter with short hair turned into a character in micro machines?

Yeah, that was Violet Berlin. Don't think she was on Games Master though. She was a tv presenter that you could tell was actually into the games \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Factoid: anyone remember, Gaz Top from children's morning TV back in the eighties? He's married to Violet Berlin, and together they have a company that creates her game tv show - (gamepad I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Stephen wrote:
    Yeah, that was Violet Berlin. Don't think she was on Games Master though. She was a tv presenter that you could tell was actually into the games \o/
    Yeah, it was Bad Influance on ITV that she was in originaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

There should be internet humour too, stuff like if you're reviewing ridge racer make fun of Kaz Hirai.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Hi all, just to let you know the gaming programme has been given the go ahead on channel 6. It will begin broadcast on fri 27th of October and it will air at 7pm! Watch this space for more info!!! Any suggestions and comments are taken on board too, thanks everyone!

FT9t9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Theres a channel 6 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Channel what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,361 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

DarthWraak wrote:
    Theres a channel 6 now?
    on NTL

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Awww, but NTL sucks and like 13 people have it :(

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

i have the ntl terrestial thing like the basic one with no digital connected up or noting and i have channel 6 ..dont watch it much now but i will defo watch this programme.. good work fatherted cant wait.. :D

whats the name of the programme by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

As it's been said, a lot of people who would like to see it don't have access to Channel 6.

What would the chances be of making this available online, either as a streaming broadcast or a video podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

how do most people on here not have it..its like a channel you egt with the basic package so ur guranteed to have it if yuo have anything more than just an aerial sticking out of the back of your tele..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I can't get digital tv where I am - i'm renting - so any chance of it being made available online??

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Nobody has ntl!!

I dont know anybody in the south that has it, and its not terrestrial....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    a retro section wouldnt go amiss.

I dont mean to brag about old games. There are alot of genuine entertaining or interesting tales of stupidty/genius/horror from gaming history that could be good to fill up the last five minutes.

When your doing the bit about atari jaguar come back here to give us a heads up :D

Yeah the best way to do this is to cover new releases on Xbox Live Arcade especially the retro one and games on Nintendo's Virtual Console.

Again I vote for not biasing toward any one company. That makes the viewer switch off. Do you want a cheap show or viewers to watch? Also saying this console is the one everyone wants etc... isn't what people want to hear. Present facts not stupid coverage that makes it seem like a company is paying for advertising during the show.

Also I vote for not having idiots playing each other. The LAN party idea might work but don't go into it too much IMO. Overall as a Pc gamer I don't think it is suited to TV really though and I don't think LAN parties (even in pubs) will make for good TV.

Not aimed at kids aswell is crucial as that just makes older gamers switch off and there is a fair few around.

Handhelds exist, cover them.

Most importantly, don't try to make it cool! because that just looks stupid. It should be more like a movie review show than the Cafe on N2.

And yes you won't fit that in half an hour more than likely. :D

Also having it on during the den or something and then again later in the evening (like 12 or 1am) might not be the worst idea so that young people can watch and older gamers can watch when they come back from the pub or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Its hardly only on NTL? Its on sky aswell innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

chrikey, 7PM... that's very prime time for a games show

look forward to it. good luck with it lads, don't make it tacky, we don't need another gamezville :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

brim4brim wrote:
    Yeah the best way to do this is to cover new releases on Xbox Live Arcade especially the retro one and games on Nintendo's Virtual Console.

I think the virtual console and XBL arcade should only get a semi regular slot. A short retro section would be very good were you could highlight some well know or obscure classics such as FFIV or Gunstar Heroes or maybe a series like Sonic or maybe even a system such as NES or Saturn (consolevania does some great top ten games lists that take less than 3 minutes). If you need help sourcing retro games I could give you a hand getting some footage of them. I've every saturn game worth playing as well as some really obscure crazy stuff you can make fun of, a PS1, PS2, GC, xbox and N64 collection to be proud of and also a few of the best Turbo-grafx games and know far too much about 8 and 16 bit console games.

I really would advise NOT covering lans. They are boring affairs for people not playing and the competitive atmosphere would make cringeworthy viewing.They are also full of nerds which isn't the demograph you want to be showing since it is really a small minority of gamesplayers. No matter how much work you do on the editting of these events it will be a group of gamers in a warm sweaty hall playing games like CS that are no fun to watch.

Could you put up some torrents for people stuck with poverty channels 1-8.

Advertisement