Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Gaming TV Programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Will it be a thirty minute slot?

I'm sure somebody will cap it if it's not officially made available to download >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭crybaby

whats the show called?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

well if you hasve terrestrial tele like me and live in dublin you should definetly hasve it..its only new doh so some of yas might have to tune it in first..

im guessing if its allowed by the fella who is part of the show on here some one could upload it to web..it would make the show even more populer..

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Unfortunatly it will be only on NTL and Chorus untiull the new year then it will be appearing on the sky platform. The show will be called Game On and is running for 10 weeks to see how it runs at first. It will be 30 min long! If people like it please email channel 6 and tell them so.

also as i said before, give it a chance, we are open to suggestions and comments and we hava a few World exclusive first looks etc at some games so it should be given a chance!

Thanks again guys and gals

FT9t9
    IgsTer wrote:
    well if you hasve terrestrial tele like me and live in dublin you should definetly hasve it..its only new doh so some of yas might have to tune it in first..

im guessing if its allowed by the fella who is part of the show on here some one could upload it to web..it would make the show even more populer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

Deadly news.

I read this thread a while ago, and i'm real glad to hear you got the go ahead. I'm suprised people are saying they don't have the channel, it's ntl around 106 i think. i know plenty of people who have it.

Anyway good work Father Ted. Lookin forward to it. Hope it succeeds.

Just stay away from Gameville nonsense...."Let the games begin!"......nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Great news. I hope it's a success. Lot's of great suggestions here.
    I think your ideas are admirable and would definitely slot into the "in a perfect world" scenario. However almost everything you've suggested goes against the way television shows are produced. Someone who is photogenic and good on camera is unlikely to be that into games etc. Most blonde bimbos who Mr. TV Producer would love to see on camera, wouldn't likely have a clue about gaming. Not saying this is true of everyone, but as a general rule it seems to be the case.

Dominik Diamond wasn't very photogenic but was still one of the best games presenters. Anyway there doesn't have to be a visible presenter. Cybernet was a perfectly good show and probably the longest running game show and that never had a visible presenter. The thing is if you don't get a great presenter then this might be your best option. Any word on how/who the show will be presented?

Anywho I agree with most of the comments made so far. Make it for a mature audience (18+), no naff presenters (they have to be gamers), review ratings as a % or out of 10, no game challenges, lots and lots of previews with plenty of footage and interview footage + event coverage. Cover all platforms but please don't spend a lot of time reviewing crap games like some shows tend to do. Concentrate on the top titles. Don't do a top 10 in the chart section. We all know game charts, like music or movie charts, are contolled by clueless kiddies. Omg fifa 2007 is number 1 six weeks in a row. What a surprise. :rolleyes: A retro section is a good idea also. Bring back some blasts from the past with some footage and memorable moments.

I hope you're on to a winner. Any more details on the show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

I like the idea of uploading the shows on the web, for us non ntl/chorus users, till we get some channel 6 sky <3

Is channel 6 terrestial only in dublin? in laois, no chance of gettin it here then..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Blegh NTL, won't be watching it then, but GL and hope it goes well.

sounds god father ted..if i like it and im sure i will.. ill email them..telling em to keep yas on..cause its so good.. :D

so 27th, 7pm , 30 min show on channel 6 called game on.. :D

i guess its only on once a week ye..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

No:
    Cheat section
    Stupid people who know nothing about gaming
    Waffling presenters (see note above :D)
    Talking to game shops about new games (get talking to the developers)
    Stupid ratings where you get like 2 thumbs or something stupi like that. A simple 9/10 (and make sure the rating is from somebody who knows what they're talking about as people will stop watching if you give ridiculous ratings)

Plenty of:
    Game footage
    Interviews with developers (software & hardware)
    LAN coverage would be worthwhile as it will promote the whole scene (both console & PC lans)
    Non biased ratings (see note in NO section)

A competition every week wouldn't be too bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Kenny 5 wrote:
    No:
    Cheat section
    Stupid people who know nothing about gaming
    Waffling presenters (see note above :D)
    Talking to game shops about new games (get talking to the developers)
    Stupid ratings where you get like 2 thumbs or something stupi like that. A simple 9/10 (and make sure the rating is from somebody who knows what they're talking about as people will stop watching if you give ridiculous ratings)

Plenty of:
    Game footage
    Interviews with developers (software & hardware)
    LAN coverage would be worthwhile as it will promote the whole scene (both console & PC lans)
    Non biased ratings (see note in NO section)

A competition every week wouldn't be too bad either.

to add to that:

talk to irish devs. we don't really have game studios, but ireland pumps out great stuff (havok, anyone?) all the same. a bit of props for those guys would go a long way.

as for LAN stuff, a nice idea would be tournaments between big irish clans on the show. that could be fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i like that tournament thing that projectmayhem is suggesting.

also since the WCG is happening next week and for the first time we have irish contestants would be nice to see a feature on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

So when is this show starting?
    Ive got channel 6 and dont want to miss it.
    I think its a great idea cos there really is only one video game show on any of the channels at the moment and that is gamer tv.
    I dont even class pxg on jetix as a video games show and gave up watching it cos its just rubbish and aimed at kids and the presenter talks an awful lot of garbage.
    I hope this ones good and it should be as long as it focuses on reviewing and previewing and showing games.

As an idea for something they could do with some games they review they could show how the different versions of a game differ for example if they were reviewing call of duty 3 they could show clips from the xbox 360 version and then a quick clip from the ps2 version.
    That would be a good idea cos no show does that and lets face it call of duty 3 on the xbox 360 would look a lot different and better than call of duty 3 on the ps2.
    and a lot of people still have ps2

quinnd6 wrote:
    So when is this show starting?
    It will begin broadcast on fri 27th of October and it will air at 7pm!

;)

cant wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the 1up Show is an entertaining format.

perhaps its already been highlighted, but if not go here http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3145462 and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I agree, haven't seen too many episodes yet, but what I have seen was alright. Will be checking that one out more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The one up show is class. One of the main guys involved left to work on Forza 2 though so it was lagging a bit after his departure .Think his name was Che Chong

Vegeta wrote:
    The one up show is class. One of the main guys involved left to work on Forza 2 though so it was lagging a bit after his departure .Think his name was Che Chong

luke smith is the star tbh :p

Howya lads,

Workin away on the programme here and i have just uploaded the promo from c6 to youtube if you want to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fY5e7JHL7o

Cheers

FT9t9

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

looks very good and i look forward to watching it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Looks reasonable. If ye upload the actual show, please post a link. Don't get that channel where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Looks alright, I'll tune in anyways.

Glad to see you picked some true gamers to host the show instead of the usual bubbly, eye-candy, trendy Irish tv presenter. Can't wait.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Glad to see you picked some true gamers to host the show instead of the usual bubbly, eye-candy, trendy Irish tv presenter. Can't wait.

love how the chick turns to the side a bit to pose while introducing a show aimed at gamers.

this will not be the show 5 pages of suggestions would like, given the presenters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well you can't have gamers present the show. They have no background in the area of television presenting generally.

They only need gamers to write the script then the muppets can act it out.

Showing the clips for Halo Wars and Halo 3 will defo get the people tuned in :D

You one said something about reporting Irish Gaming features from all over the country. If Mid-lans (or any other large scale lan) doesn't get a feature, then I will have lost all faith in it.

Unfortunatly by looking at the clips it seems console orientated. I expected this, although hope the PC gets a decent part in the show just as any other console would. I just hope I wont see a "console kitchen" and "pc lounge" scenerio as seen in the horrible gamezville.

Gamesmaster FTW

brim4brim wrote:
    Well you can't have gamers present the show. They have no background in the area of television presenting generally.

Have a look at the 1up show. All the presenters are out and out gamers. More specifically they are gaming journalists. All you need is someone with a modicum of personality to argue the strong or weak points of certain games, preferably with another person, also with a modicum of personality. If these people know what they are talking about it comes across as informed and interesting, if they don't it comes across as banal and infantile.

Lowest common denominator crap once again.

brim4brim wrote:

as RE*AC*TOR said, there's the 1up show, there's also gamespots "on the spot". there's also an australian show called "good game" which is getting good press too.

good tv presenters = anyone with a decent personality and ability to speak. they don't have to been models who know nothing about what they're talking about, because (as you can see from the clip on youtube) they come across quite clearly as people who are reading from a script rather then going with the flow and knowing what they're on about.

• Advertisement

as RE*AC*TOR said, there's the 1up show, there's also gamespots "on the spot". there's also an australian show called "good game" which is getting good press too.

good tv presenters = anyone with a decent personality and ability to speak. they don't have to been models who know nothing about what they're talking about, because (as you can see from the clip on youtube) they come across quite clearly as people who are reading from a script rather then going with the flow and knowing what they're on about.

Gary Brennan the presenter is an avid gamer. He Not only knows games, but suprise suprise he also studies journalisim. Would you have prefered to see a promo with 2 huys with glasses sitting at a pc with teamspeak on havin a chat about broadband speeds in kerry? If so i apologise. the promo showed the 2 presenters number 1, it said what would be in the programme number 2 and showed the pace at which the programme will move speed wise. the guys write and research their own pieces and Ciara Has also been an avid gamer since she was young. As i said before(and i knew the slapdowns would start b4 the prog starts, as usual with some people on these forums) give it a chance for a bit to get its feet.

Thanks

FT9t9

Advertisement