Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Gaming TV Programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Gary Brennan the presenter is an avid gamer. He Not only knows games, but suprise suprise he also studies journalisim. Would you have prefered to see a promo with 2 huys with glasses sitting at a pc with teamspeak on havin a chat about broadband speeds in kerry? If so i apologise. the promo showed the 2 presenters number 1, it said what would be in the programme number 2 and showed the pace at which the programme will move speed wise. the guys write and research their own pieces and Ciara Has also been an avid gamer since she was young. As i said before(and i knew the slapdowns would start b4 the prog starts, as usual with some people on these forums) give it a chance for a bit to get its feet.

Thanks

FT9t9
    The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Perhaps they are avid gamers, but I'd be surprised.

As for "slapdowns", well if there are any, you set yourself up for them, coming on to these forums, looking for suggestions. If those suggestions are widely ignored, then it is to be expected.

However, I'll hold back any further criticism based on the promo. It could be widely misleading. I'll make every effort to catch the show on Friday. In fact I'll put a reminder into my phone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Have a look at the 1up show. All the presenters are out and out gamers. More specifically they are gaming journalists. All you need is someone with a modicum of personality to argue the strong or weak points of certain games, preferably with another person, also with a modicum of personality. If these people know what they are talking about it comes across as informed and interesting, if they don't it comes across as banal and infantile.

Lowest common denominator crap once again.

I've seen shows from a few different online sites. They come across as being done in a basement and seem very amateur. You can't do that a video Podcast for a tv show.

Give it a chance, if they mess it up then go to town on them.

Would like to add that they did in the short trailer, show clips from games on all 3 consoles. Halo, Smash Brothers and can't remember what the one for Playstation was as we suggested they should here. They aren't going to take on all ideas proposed here. They just want a flavour for what people here would like to see. Some of the ideas won't be feasible for a tv show that has to appeal to a wider audience than boards.ie members.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Gary Brennan the presenter is an avid gamer. He Not only knows games, but suprise suprise he also studies journalisim. Would you have prefered to see a promo with 2 huys with glasses sitting at a pc with teamspeak on havin a chat about broadband speeds in kerry? If so i apologise. the promo showed the 2 presenters number 1, it said what would be in the programme number 2 and showed the pace at which the programme will move speed wise. the guys write and research their own pieces and Ciara Has also been an avid gamer since she was young. As i said before(and i knew the slapdowns would start b4 the prog starts, as usual with some people on these forums) give it a chance for a bit to get its feet.

Thanks

FT9t9

Are they the same kind of "avid" gamers like the Congress members in the states who played pong and are out to have game like Doom and GTA banned :rolleyes: Is it some unwritten rule of TV show land that the Barbie and Ken's MUST walk down Grafton St?

That clip sure looks like you paid attention to the comments you asked for FT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Im glad FT9t9 came on here looking for opinions from us to implement into the TV show. Because we are gamers, we should have a say in what the show will be like. After all, we are the audience. I'm not saying anything else about the show till I see it. The ad doesn't represent anything till we seen the final product. Good luck with it FT9t9

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Would you have prefered to see a promo with 2 huys with glasses sitting at a pc with teamspeak on havin a chat about broadband speeds in kerry?

doesn't have to be 2 completely stereotypical nerds, no... but the chances your mate there can do a great, in-depth interview with havok or know who myamoto could be, is fairly unlikely judging by that promo. i'm going to go mad and be a wanker here, and say he's probably an avid gamer in the sense that he's bought every FIFA update since 97 and enjoys nfs

also, broadband is quite a contentious issue in ireland... and affects a lot of gamers out there. why wouldn't that be discussed? or are you ignoring the 5 pages of chat about making an intelligent, relevant show?
    As i said before(and i knew the slapdowns would start b4 the prog starts, as usual with some people on these forums) give it a chance for a bit to get its feet.

don't worry, i'll give it a shot. but you can't seriously think after the discussion here that the promo you've put out reflects the general consensus on what a good, non-insulting show would be to the population of boards.

as for slap-downs... you asked for it by posting here. don't ignore people's suggestions, for the love of god.
    brim4brim wrote:
    I've seen shows from a few different online sites. They come across as being done in a basement and seem very amateur. You can't do that a video Podcast for a tv show.

1up and gamespot's vidcast shows are done very professionally actually. especially the 1up show. gamespot feels less pro, mainly because it's shot live for web streaming, so some mistakes are made (they're not broadcasters, they're gamers... so they make mistakes funny)...
    brim4brim wrote:
    Some of the ideas won't be feasible for a tv show that has to appeal to a wider audience than boards.ie members.

i somewhat agree. you do have to appeal to a wide audience, but a show filled with EA Sports games has been done before, and failed miserably. here, a good lot of actual gamers have said what could have worked on failed shows in the past. basically, something along the lines of what Edge or GamesTM magazines provide, only in TV form.

check out the new eurogamer TV show thing... you can see how that will evolve. it's funny, entertaining and not done by wannabe models thinking they know games, or the industry.
    Venom wrote:
    That clip sure looks like you paid attention to the comments you asked for FT.

this is exactly my point, summed up in one sentence

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

look truthfully Ft9t9 you want a game show to work you have to appeal to gamers if you make some wishy washy program to appeal to everyone it will end up appealing to nobody.
    The non-gamers will quickly realise that they dont care that much about games to watch a show about it(like how the stupid game show on sky1 died out) and gamers will quickly realise that your show is nonsense(like that stupid show on sky1 that died out).

brim4brim wrote:

Specifically watch the 1UP Show or IGN Weekly. There's nothing amateur about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

the guys write and research their own pieces and Ciara Has also been an avid gamer since she was young.

Now here's why you shouldnt lie about things on the Web.

I'm on the 1st show, remember me :) Part of the WCG irish team, Now my memory is quite good, and im damn sure i remember Ciara saying she had no clue what so ever about Gaming, In saying this she was nice and plesent during the interview, and we did have a good laff, as for this other lad well he wasnt there on the day so i wont comment, perhaps he is an avid gamer.

From what i gathered the only person on the Team who was an avid gamer was the producer... nice bloke, i can only assume thats ure self :)

P.S if it's u we got to play GOW @ the WCG sweet mercy it's just damn good, no halo 3 though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Dr4gul4 wrote:
    Now here's why you shouldnt lie about things on the Web.

I'm on the 1st show, remember me :) Part of the WCG irish team, Now my memory is quite good, and im damn sure i remember Ciara saying she had no clue what so ever about Gaming, In saying this she was nice and plesent during the interview, and we did have a good laff, as for this other lad well he wasnt there on the day so i wont comment, perhaps he is an avid gamer.

Haha busted.

It does puzzle me why you came on here and asked for people's opinions, when you obviously have a negative view of us (blah blah "as usual with some people on these forums"), and are going to ignore the feedback anyway?

I was hoping for a good Irish gaming show, and maybe it will be, but if you've got presenters that aren't gamers then IMO it won't be a good show. Perhaps a group of boardsies should get together and do their own show ;)

I'll try reserving judgement until I see the show, but that'll have to be when someone uploads it (I have Sky).

I'd just like to add, im no there to stir the sh1t, i think it's great that some one is trying to get a new show on Irish Tv, considering the rubbish we have on at the moment.

Even though the presenters "may" not have any real gaming experience, i can vouch for the producer, he's a nice bloke and really knows his stuff when it comes to gaming.

Personally i hope they do well with the show, and really think people here should give them "sum" support, instead of being negative.

i'm pretty sure i'll regred saying all this now on friday after i c what a fool i look like on the show, but ohh well feck it.

P.S maybe u should have offered me that job :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

Don't wish to incur the wrath of the "boardsies", but i really think ye're going a bit hard on it. Nobody's even seen it yet.

They came on here for some suggestions. That's all. Did they promise to make the perfect show for you guys?

I'm lookin forward to it.

I think they makers of this show are suffering cos of the damage done by Gamezville.

My two cents

Is someone planning to record and upload it?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Ok Lads and lassies. Firstly i have taken all of the comments and suggestions on here on board, and thank you for them. We have stayed away from the usual people challenges, tips/cheats etc. From the point of view of reviews we are showing 3, 4 min reviews per week as requested also rather than a load of 30second reviews. we have to include the EA Games as they are big title games but they will get true reviews rather than hammed up ones.

As for the presenters not knowing about games, well im sorry but as i said already gary is well up on his games and just because he doesnt look like it does not mean anything. Ciara Played a lot of games when younger and has younger brothers who are still gamers. Aswell as this she has a team of people who know stuff about games there to help her also.

We also have a minute 30 News section and web section which will vary each week. And a retro section each week looking back at consoles and games from yesteryear. Again dont get me wrong people, i do appreciate suggestions on here, but as you can understand we have to do some things by the book or it would not be a commercial venture either.

Over the coming weeks also we have a GOW Special with interviews with games journos and game footage and we also have a Halo 3 special in the 2nd prog from Bungie in seattle. Give us a chance anyway and if you dont like it, sorry, we cant appeal to everyone.

Thanks

Ft9t9

PS We even give boards a mention in the first prog!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Just saw this thread - fantastic stuff !!

Good luck with the new show.

I don't know if it would be appropriate, but maybe a brief "Bargain of the week" where give out some great deals that are currently happening - e.g a great deal currently on play.com or cdwow.ie etc... although I'm not sure about the legalaties of doing this sort of thing.

I'd also talk to boards about setting up a related discussion forum specially for the show, and that way you could address issues/questions that viewers have. You could also do a "post of the week" slot on the show maybe....

Finally, it would be nice to see on odd article on Retro gaming.....

Dont painic dude, we'll all let u know how it turns out after friday nite.

And i know the team is great after all :p i was chattn to ye ;)

I guess maybe it's a pet peeve of mine, probably because I'm a girl, I just can't stand shows that hire some girl that doesn't play games and doesn't care less to present it. Puts me right off watching it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well you seem to be going about it in the right way. I hopesomebody can record and upload it. I'm interested in what it will be like. Don't be afraid to throw a bit of comedy in there, although it's probably best not to if it really isn't going to work. The best way to do that is to completely go to town on the bad games. EA should be more than capable of providing a few stinkers :)

Haha yeah, there's nothing like a funny review of a really bad game, where they just have no mercy and rip it to shreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

koneko wrote:
    Haha yeah, there's nothing like a funny review of a really bad game, where they just have no mercy and rip it to shreds.

I agree with this 100%. Take the p*ss out of crap lazy games.

Especially rubbish movie games.

Everybody wins!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For reference take a look at the consolevania Overblood 1 and 2 reviews. They took the piss out of Oblivion as well but still managed to make it sound like a great game.

• Advertisement

koneko wrote:
    Perhaps a group of boardsies should get together and do their own show ;)

i like it. koneko, you can be the one who steals a nice HD camera :D
    Dr4gul4 wrote:
    Personally i hope they do well with the show, and really think people here should give them "sum" support, instead of being negative.

a tv show is considered a failure or success based on ratings, and so far no one has said they won't watch the show. they'll get plenty of ratings from us anyway...
    As for the presenters not knowing about games, well im sorry but as i said already gary is well up on his games and just because he doesnt look like it does not mean anything. Ciara Played a lot of games when younger and has younger brothers who are still gamers. Aswell as this she has a team of people who know stuff about games there to help her also.

that's different to them both being "avid gamers". what you're saying here is basically what i said. the bloke plays FIFA every year, and the girl hasn't touched a game in years. her younger brothers probably play FIFA too.

and a team of people writing what she has to say comes across very clearly on screen. this is why there's all this chatter about the promo, it's very clear from there that these two presenters couldn't tell you the next thing about the industry.
    We also have a minute 30 News section and web section which will vary each week. And a retro section each week looking back at consoles and games from yesteryear. Again dont get me wrong people, i do appreciate suggestions on here, but as you can understand we have to do some things by the book or it would not be a commercial venture either.

i like this paragraph, a lot. retro gaming is always interesting. that's why edge and gamesTM have 'em ;)

while i appreciate you are running a commercial venture here, you have to consider what's gone before. name one "commercial" entertainment show based around gaming that actually survived? those shows don't appeal to anyone because the dumb gamers who only buy EA's early-updated games don't care about anything else, or the industry, and the "proper" gamers don't want to hear about FIFA for 30mins. but those in-depth internet-based shows are highly successful... 1up, on the spot, etc. etc. this works, and you have the opportunity to bring it to terrestrial tv.
    Over the coming weeks also we have a GOW Special with interviews with games journos and game footage and we also have a Halo 3 special in the 2nd prog from Bungie in seattle. Give us a chance anyway and if you dont like it, sorry, we cant appeal to everyone.

any chance of letting me go to seattle :p
    PS We even give boards a mention in the first prog!

throw that into the "boards in the media" thread :D
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    EA should be more than capable of providing a few stinkers :)

i playtested need for speed: carbon.

...it's awful.

i playtested need for speed: carbon.

...it's awful.

Yes they had it @ the WCG finals also, looks a bit cartoonish, but i do like the fact u can super mod the cars, im sure it will keep me interested for @ least 5 more mins

Dr4gul4 wrote:
    Yes they had it @ the WCG finals also, looks a bit cartoonish, but i do like the fact u can super mod the cars, im sure it will keep me interested for @ least 5 more mins

super modding looks kind of funky alright, but it is by no means going to make me spend €50...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Deadly-Buzz

This should be interesting! Just hope theres a good pc section. you should do a bit on mods!

oh and just get these lads to present it rofl : http://youtube.com/watch?v=STmF3BL0wx0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭BigWilly

Howya lads,

Workin away on the programme here and i have just uploaded the promo from c6 to youtube if you want to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fY5e7JHL7o

Cheers

FT9t9

no offence or anything, but it looks like a gaming show designed specifically for ****. You should've gotten those guys from gamesville to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Best of luck with the show fatherted and all.
    and Ill definitely be watching it every week.
    As long as it has games in it Ill watch it.
    I hope its a massive success and want to see it stay on air cos we need more video games shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

oh and just get these lads to present it rofl : http://youtube.com/watch?v=STmF3BL0wx0

haha, brilliant

HERE WE ARE NOW, ELITE FORCE TWO, LOOK AT THE GRAPHICS AND HOW SMOOTH IT IS , OOOHHHHHHH!!!! etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Now THAT I would deffo watch every friday rofl!!

LOL @ the G-team bit at the end :D

Only caught the last 10 minutes, hopefully will catch a repeat to see the rest. Anyway on what I saw - Lego Star Wars 2 is a bit old to be reviewed, but ok, the review was fine. At times I felt the Gary was over explaining certain things (like the camera angle issue he had with the game). The retro section lacked any kind of depth. It was irrelevant to the point of ridiculousness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

so what yas think of game on..

i tought it was pretty good..loads of good reviews ..and boards and all got mentioned in it :D

good stuff fatherted..definetly watching it next week..

and for anyone who misssed it think theres a repeat on tomorrow as well..

Advertisement