Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Gaming TV Programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

IgsTer wrote:
    and for anyone who misssed it think theres a repeat on tomorrow as well..

good stuff, i missed it due to being a social butterfly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

It was decent enough. Far better than any sky offering anyway.

Is the show part funded by Microsoft? An extreme lack of Nintendo (bar the nes) and Sony and judging by next weeks preview it'll be 360 heavy again.

I know the show has little time to cover so many subjects and it's only the first show, but I hope that the show doesn't focus on just one of the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

i cant get channel 6 so does anyone know if it will be on youtube or the like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Stoichkov wrote:
    Is the show part funded by Microsoft?QUOTE]

Now thats not good. Thats not good at all. No wonder they had clips of Halo 3 and Halo Wars in the ad. I didn't see the show (I have Sky), but if it's funded my Microsoft, prepare to have the 360 shoved into your face...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Again, no channel 6 so won't get to see it, I have sky, rather than cable. Disappointing. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

it was alright , not sure if i'll be running my ntl cable over to the tv every week for it though.

and that was some ad for fifa 2007 ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

how was the PC coverd in it? what time is it repeated?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's on now.

koyaanisqatsi were shown (my clan) but i didn't see myself :( only walked in and saw dustaz, the interview with Richard was very good and the inclusion of the WCG event itself was enough for me to show that this show is different than others.

love par's cheesy grin too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A few quibbles:
    • Don't don't DON'T ever again repeat that "Charts" thing. 1. because I can damn well read, and 2. because no one gives a flying fvck about the charts. What a waste of 1min.
    • The scores for FIFA & Lego SW2 were self-defeating.
      FIFA was abhorred for having questionable goalie AI which veered between atrocious & godly; and striker AI which missed from up-close (also, I can't believe EA still haven't addressed that...). It got 8.2.
      LSW2 was described as "fun". Like really fun. It got a 7.
      ... stop taking BJ's off EA, please.
    • If you're going to shout out a number to call (the one for the SC compo) -- put it on-screen for at least 30secs.
    • Oh, and more Nintendo/Sony please. If that's possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Gaming psychic?! **** off! And the web section (most of which had nothing to do with games) is a waste of time too.

Otherwise it was fairly average for a gaming show. A lot more interviews with developers and the like (along the lines of the World Cyber Games guy - that was probably the most interesting part of the show) along with less filler and it could be great. The scores of the reviews were a bit arbitrary too, and I got the impression from the footage shown that Scarface had only been played for about half an hour.

On the plus side, I like the way the reviews were only voice-overs and just showed gameplay without showing the reviewer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The only thing they could cover for Nintendo is DS seeing as the Gamecube is practically dead and the Wii is about to be launched.

If Sony were undercovered then they should get more coverage. It is the majority of the market afterall at the moment.

Should try to balance it out a bit more overall if it is as bad as people here say.

I agree with ditching overall review scores becuase they never properly represent the games. Give the review and let the reviewer say the pros and cons. I'm capable of a final judgement from that myself. Arbitrary numbers are for idiots IMO and if scored wrong then can make the show look bad so its not worth having them IMO.

Be harsher on scores if your keeping them. No Fifa game ever deserved 8.2, least of all the whatever iteration this is in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Saw the repeat. Won't be watching it again, it was the kind of chewing gum tv, that is devoid of any substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I saw the show on Friday, I thought it was OK... not a bad start at all... I thought that the presenters both sounded a bit awkward, but hopefully their narration will become smoother as the show grows.

also the tarot reading thing was nonsense... its that kind of stuff that would annoy a lot of people i imagine. I`m going to persevere with and hope that it improves...

Does anybody watch Gamer TV on Bravo? I think that is quite a good games show... It`s funny sometimes and although sometimes they have quirky stories, they cover everything very well imo

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

actually yeah that tarrot thing was the worst thing about the show...it was aload of crap and not needed..apart from that i cant say anything bad about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

TBH the best game review show I've seen was on Motors TV (except for the narrators annoying voice). They give no nonsense reviews of games that involve motors so cars and airplane simulators etc..

Anyway all they did was have gameplay running the whole time with a voice over. I think they had an interview with someone about the game too. Thats really all viewers want IMO. The rest is padding and is mostly just annoying.

Personally I'd rather a 15 minute good show than a 30 minute show where half of it annoys me into turning over.

Cybernet isnt too bad. They do PC games, and other consoles of course. The only problem is that it does a stupid cheats section (no one cares about cheats, if you want cheats, search the net in this day and age tbh).

I haven't seen the show, but after reading ye'er posts, Im glad I haven't. Didn't father ted say boards.ie was supposed to get a mention? Did this happen?

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Saw the repeat. Won't be watching it again, it was the kind of chewing gum tv, that is devoid of any substance.

qft.

i will watch it, because if the producers and channel6 have any sense, they'll mould the show as it goes on.

i just wish they'd mould it into a tv version of edge or gamesTM magazines... filled with substance and knowledge. also, those presenters do my nut in. they're about as industry-savvy as a seagul

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

DarthWraak wrote:
    Didn't father ted say boards.ie was supposed to get a mention? Did this happen?

it did indeed. basically saying that boards is the place to be for everything and anything especially halloween threads (i think they were focusing on halloween type websites)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

ok, lots of good points there, if you want a good gaming show, look at that one violet berlins show(cant remember what it was called) and bits that was on channel 4 in the middle of the night, if possible get a hot chick thats actually into games to present it (gonna be hard to find) but they always go down a treat!!

don't tell us a game is good if it isnt, we will hunt you down. and dont tell us a game is good because a company tells you to.

dont aim it at kids.

you should have 15 seconds of panda madness every 10 minutes throughout the show,

lots of reviews, lots of footage, don't worry about cheats or tips there are hundreds of magazines/gameguides out for that sort of thing, and it takes up valuable review time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

if possible get a hot chick thats actually into games to present it (gonna be hard to find) but they always go down a treat!!

I would watch it just for the hot chick because lets be honest here anybody watching this program already has a huge pron collection for 1 reason only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

krazy_8s wrote:
    I would watch it just for the hot chick because lets be honest here anybody watching this program already has a huge pron collection for 1 reason only.

Hee hee hee:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

So how much does a 30 minute ad on channel 6 cost?

The program is nothing more than an effort to push the 360. Last week was bad, this was week was awful. Even the prize is a disgrace, 3 hours of gaming in the xbox live shop, with the question being 'in what city is the shop?'

Next weeks preview was of an xbox360 game again. The biggest gaming devices in Ireland are the ps2, psp, ds and pc, yet they are pretty much ignored.

I won't be watching this show/xbox360 advertisment again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Did they mention Wii? Any up-to-date program HAS to mention Wii, since the launch is only 5 weeks away...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

krazy_8s wrote:

I suppose you're right. There isn't much else I can do with pictures of ur ma! :D;)

Stoichkov wrote:
    So how much does a 30 minute ad on channel 6 cost?

The program is nothing more than an effort to push the 360. Last week was bad, this was week was awful. Even the prize is a disgrace, 3 hours of gaming in the xbox live shop, with the question being 'in what city is the shop?'

Next weeks preview was of an xbox360 game again. The biggest gaming devices in Ireland are the ps2, psp, ds and pc, yet they are pretty much ignored.

I won't be watching this show/xbox360 advertisment again.

i didn't get to see it today, but a mate of mine rang me to tell me the show (which i told him to check out) was exactly as you put it - a microsoft advertisement.

which is shocking given this is the biggest week PSP has ever had (killzone & GTA exclusives along with need for speed). ps2 still out-sells the 360 by a margin of 5:1, DS is too big to even contemplate (and there's loads of games for that to check out), and there's flight sim X, bf2142 and previews to the likes of hl2:ep2 and what not to look at on PC.

the show just got worse, somehow...

So much for father_ted looking for ideas from the boardsies. Did anyone suggest to him to whore the fuk out of the 360. This is really sad, even though I dont watch it. I kinda got the impression from the ad on you tube that Microsoft was going to have a huge part in the show.

ANd a prize of playing games in a shop. WTF?!

And has the Wii been even mentioned yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I think you guys are going a bit hard on the show.
    Its not just a microsoft advertisement.
    They showed the red steel game on the wii.
    They talked about bully and asked people what they thought of it though I do think they should have actually reviewed it instead.
    Their reviews were mainly for the 360 so far but thats because its the big next gen machine at the moment and a lot of good games were coming out for it.

Its only on 2 weeks so I think we should give it a chance before totally writing it off.

Also I think the wii is rubbish .all it is, is a gamecube with a silly looking motion sensor controller and has the graphical power of a gamecube.
    All the games Ive seen on it look no better than the n64.

If they make motion sensing compolsory with the ps3 where you have to tilt controller from side to side when youre playing a game itll just ruin it and probably give people wrist injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Also I think the wii is rubbish .all it is, is a gamecube with a silly looking motion sensor controller and has the graphical power of a gamecube.

You may think its sh*t, but its filled its preorder quota with gamestop so that means there are enough people in ireland to warrant a bit of timespace on the show.

I havnt had a chance to catch it (not in ireland at the moment.) but I assume a large chunk of the show's previews and reviews should be going to upcoming PS2 titles because that would be the largest market in ireland. I doubt the 360 is getting enough exclusive titles out on a weekly basis to fill up the entire show. But I would expect the more aggressive marketing by both nintendo and Microsoft (over Sony) would naturally give them more news time.

quinnd6 wrote:
    Its not just a microsoft advertisement.
    They showed the red steel game on the wii.
    They talked about bully and asked people what they thought of it though I do think they should have actually reviewed it instead.
    Their reviews were mainly for the 360 so far but thats because its the big next gen machine at the moment and a lot of good games were coming out for it.

the Wii is launching with more then 1 game... and the bully segment reeked of hack journalism. "lets milk the whole controversy thing"...

and the 360 does not warrant that much airtime. yeah, it's the big "next gen" console, but the market in ireland is very much based around the PS2, even today.
    quinnd6 wrote:

and you are clearly the type of gamer this show is aiming for: a clueless one.

• Advertisement

and you are clearly the type of gamer this show is aiming for: a clueless one.

As in the words of Kelso, BURN!!!

The show sounds so awful. Im glad I have Sky instead of NTL...

Advertisement