Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Gaming TV Programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

quinnd6 wrote:
    All the games Ive seen on it look no better than the n64.
    Super Smash Bros (N64): th_SSB64.jpg
    Super Smash Bros Melee (GC): th_SSBM.jpg
    Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii): th_SSBB.jpg

Yeah, damn Nintendo never updating the graphics :rolleyes:
    quinnd6 wrote:
    If they make motion sensing compolsory with the ps3 where you have to tilt controller from side to side when youre playing a game itll just ruin it and probably give people wrist injury.
    This is the same Sony which stipulates that games need online functionality of any sort.
    Anyway, I wouldn't worry; I'm sure you'll find some other way to injure your wrist. A lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Im not a clueless gamer projectMayhem.
    Ive been playing games since I was 3 and probably before you were even born.
    Just because I dont like the wii doesn't mean Im clueless.
    I was making an exagerration when I said wii graphics were like n64 but it just isnt very powerful graphically and Nintendo have said it themselves.
    Nintendo said themselves at e3
    "if you're looking for next gen you've come to the wrong place"

Its only just a little more powerful than xbox.
    They should have made it more powerful like the ps3 or 360 and then it would be a lot better cos well when you're paying a good few bob for a new games console you want to see a significant improvement in graphics from your previous machine or there isnt really any point.
    Thats what I think anyway.

Don't slag me off for having an opinion after all its just an opinion.

On another note yes you guys are right about the show.
    Im getting annoyed aswell about the fact ps2 games just arent getting any coverage anymore from these review shows but what can ya do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

at least we can all agree that GameOn is a steaming heap.

quinnd6 you are right in that the leap in graphical power from the gamecube to the Wii is much smaller than xbox to 360 and ps2 to ps3, however, I don't think your description of the wii as a gamecube with a silly motion controller is fair.

anyway - I don't mind you propgating those thoughts, might mean that people who really want one will be able to get one this side of christmas.

Then we'll see in another year if you still think the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    at least we can all agree that GameOn is a steaming heap.

I don't.

Alright it's not the greatest show ever produced, but the people here are being far too hard on it.

Bordering on abusive, in my opinion.

At least give it a few weeks before getting all high and mighty about it.

Or else don't watch it.

Sorry, I should correct myself, all us non-shills can agree that its a steaming heap.

• Advertisement

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a non-shill?

Oh, right.

I assure you I'm no shill, I just don't think it's that bad.

In fact, calling me a shill is a pretty convenient way to write off my point of view, isn't it?

Maybe I might be being naive. You guys seem fairly convinced it's just a big microsoft ad, I didn't think it was that bad. But shill? No.

I was watchin it for the Wii bits, to be honest. Although I do think there could have been more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Must have reviews, previews, news, showing the features and hardware of each console would be nice to see aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

also see projectmayhem and Looking For aka playstation employees

disclaimer: before they defend themselves and call me names this is a joke so take it easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

quinnd6 wrote:
    Im not a clueless gamer projectMayhem.
    Ive been playing games since I was 3 and probably before you were even born.

that's neither here nor there. maybe you did play games before i was born, but i progressed from the spectrum ZX all the way up to the 360 today. i also keep tabs on the games industry.

quinnd6 wrote:
    Just because I dont like the wii doesn't mean Im clueless.
    I was making an exagerration when I said wii graphics were like n64 but it just isnt very powerful graphically and Nintendo have said it themselves.
    Nintendo said themselves at e3
    "if you're looking for next gen you've come to the wrong place"

you're not clueless for not liking the Wii... you're clueless by saying it looks like an N64, has a "silly" motion sensing controller and that the Wii generally is "rubbish". i'm going to go mad here and say you haven't touched one yet, and have come to this assumption without giving it any chance at all. which is less chance then i gave this tv show.
    quinnd6 wrote:
    Its only just a little more powerful than xbox.
    They should have made it more powerful like the ps3 or 360 and then it would be a lot better cos well when you're paying a good few bob for a new games console you want to see a significant improvement in graphics from your previous machine or there isnt really any point.

the xbox now is still more powerful then most PC's out there (from my experience anyway). you say they should make it ps3 or 360-esque graphics power wise like it's nothing. not sure what ATi put into R&D, but i know sony have spent up to a billion dollars in R&D for Cell and RSX alone. to show for it we have a €600 machine. that is not what nintendo wanted.
    quinnd6 wrote:
    but what can ya do?

rant here :D
    Darnell13 wrote:
    Alright it's not the greatest show ever produced, but the people here are being far too hard on it.

Bordering on abusive, in my opinion.

At least give it a few weeks before getting all high and mighty about it.

Or else don't watch it.

i take your point, but the producer came here to ask what people would like in a show, and there's about 5 pages of discussion which, if combined would create the perfect show. what we got was the exact thing people were talking about not having.

it's a magazine show aimed at the masses, not the people who know what the guts of a PC looks like. the kind of show gamezville and it's many failed predecessors went for. if it was a show about farming, they would aim it at farmers, not the masses who might have been on a farm once or twice. the same way a gaming show should be aimed at the "hardcore", not the people who buy the yearly update games like FIFA and Need for Speed exclusively. aim it at the guys they spoke to at the LAN parties. be intelligent. have discussion (a-la the last few posts here about Wii). break the cycle and you'll survive. otherwise people will do as you suggested, stop watching.. and then all that there'll be there to show for it is another failed show, except this time there was 5 pages from the market they wanted about how to make the show work before they turned a camera on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

1.Dont go for the "kids" for a few reasons

1.1 - Most people don’t "grow out of games" sure allot of people lost interest for a while when they first start boozing and hanging out with friends/pubs ect.

1.2 - When I was a kid/teenager i was quite mature as where/are many kids/teenagers (i know there’s is allot of those stupid immature CS players and the like) don’t let them near the show - adults and mature teenagers HATE them and will not watch your show

1.3 - Allot of kids now a days have little or no interest in older games, It would be great to see for example to bring up new mods for older games for the older people who still love there old games

2. Actors

2.1 - This is a tricky one because the 1st idea is always go for "the hot lookin young 1" This does help get u a few extra viewers but it tackys up the show and its not worth it. Get someone who knows what there talking about.

2.2 - Male Or Female Host Or both? This depends if you want a host or not as said above the show would be allot cheaper if u didn’t have a set/studio and just grfx and a narrator - at the same time i would like the show to have the odd visitor, maybe Joe Kucan to talk about CnC 3 and examples like that.

2.3 Given the choices i would have to recommend having presenter(s) I have little input on male/female or both just make sure they are gamers themselves.

3. What To Have On The Show

3.1 - As I said above have the odd guest on the show like an ACE gamer from a popular games but never give them too much screen time just enough to give them there piece to say and some tips

3.2 - Game designers I would be interested in seeing this but I don’t think that many would be so its probably not recommended :(

3.3 - Game competitions, Well this is a hard one. I think you should have competitions with prises ect. The thing is it will be very easy to organise and the net cafes will love it. you see you pick a game and mention the game on the show and then list the locations of the net cafes where the game is being played (all night lans just make every person who goes pay 10 euro for 12 hours gaming competitions) the best 2 get to play a match for a prise with the highlights being on the shoe.
    Games should be everything from team games to 1 v 1
    Strategy must be inc - it would be boring to watch say most people but id like to see 5 mins of highlights from the 2 best CnC players.

3.4 - Set up a website with a fair few adds (extra money) and on the website put up the full versions of the matches - whatever the game and from the hits you will get a better idea of what games are popular.

3.5 - Computers/Consoles - when there is a new console out have it on the show test it out, show it to people, also do pc reviews get 2 pcs and most expensive one from alien ware the most expensive one from Dell (they will both donate free to the show or elce offer you a massive discount since your advertising and then a home built one (home built had a limited budget - the cheapest of either the dell or alien ware) Compare then run test see which one runs better.

3.6 - New Games, clearly have to have rolling demos of new games [**show BOTH! The Game intro and in game footage**]

3.7 - Cheats - you don’t need them who at this stage does not know where to get them or know a friend with the net?

3.8 - Audience? Its a way to get more money but if u do make sure you limit seats into groups or days because i would go but not if i had to listen or sit beside kids screaming/shouting.

3.9 - MAP competitions! This is something that game shows don’t have and the ones on web sites aren’t that interesting. Have competitions on who can make the best map. I bet i can win the CnC competition (probably not the Generals one tho) other games as well like Theme Park - Why not its a classic.

I hate the games but why not see who has the best family in The sims
    CS aswell.

3.10 - Have lists of the best servers for games.

4. Misc

I Have to stop here because brand new job break over don’t want to make bad impression will post Misc when I get home

Vegeta wrote:
    also see projectmayhem and Looking For aka playstation employees

disclaimer: before they defend themselves and call me names this is a joke so take it easy

i'm not a playstation employee......... anymore :p
    User45701 wrote:
    2.2 - Male Or Female Host Or both? This depends if you want a host or not as said above the show would be allot cheaper if u didn’t have a set/studio and just grfx and a narrator - at the same time i would like the show to have the odd visitor, maybe Joe Kucan to talk about CnC 3 and examples like that.

2.3 Given the choices i would have to recommend having presenter(s) I have little input on male/female or both just make sure they are gamers themselves.

as much as gamezville was a miserable failure, it succeeded in having different presenters with different personalities, like the fat guy who liked the PC c&c type games, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

User45701 wrote:
    1.3 - Allot of kids now a days have little or no interest in older games, It would be great to see for example to bring up new mods for older games for the older people who still love there old games

Actually you would get a lot of attention from older gamers with this feature. Everybody where I work told me they had no interest in games. One day I was waiting for them to finish up so we could go to the pub. I stuck on R-type on my laptop and after 2 minutes had a crowd of people around me asking if I had SF2, nemesis etc. There's a lot more people interested in it than you think especially people who used to be gamers.
    User45701 wrote:
    3.3 - Game competitions, Well this is a hard one. I think you should have competitions with prises ect. The thing is it will be very easy to organise and the net cafes will love it. you see you pick a game and mention the game on the show and then list the locations of the net cafes where the game is being played (all night lans just make every person who goes pay 10 euro for 12 hours gaming competitions) the best 2 get to play a match for a prise with the highlights being on the shoe.
    Games should be everything from team games to 1 v 1
    Strategy must be inc - it would be boring to watch say most people but id like to see 5 mins of highlights from the 2 best CnC players.

3.4 - Set up a website with a fair few adds (extra money) and on the website put up the full versions of the matches - whatever the game and from the hits you will get a better idea of what games are popular.

3.5 - Computers/Consoles - when there is a new console out have it on the show test it out, show it to people, also do pc reviews get 2 pcs and most expensive one from alien ware the most expensive one from Dell (they will both donate free to the show or elce offer you a massive discount since your advertising and then a home built one (home built had a limited budget - the cheapest of either the dell or alien ware) Compare then run test see which one runs better.
    3.9 - MAP competitions! This is something that game shows don’t have and the ones on web sites aren’t that interesting. Have competitions on who can make the best map. I bet i can win the CnC competition (probably not the Generals one tho) other games as well like Theme Park - Why not its a classic.
    3.10 - Have lists of the best servers for games.

Yawn. Would find this excructiatingly boring. It would be like Gamesmaster challenges except without Dominik Diamond in the background throwing out amusing comments to actually make it a little interesting.

Some good points but just thought I'd give my two cents on some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

no presenters,theyre not necessary,look at popcorn,humourous text on screen is enough

dont treat the audience like 12 year old billy-no mates,ive been a gamer for 20 years and have plenty of gamer friends

for the love of god dont try to be "down with the kids",it never works and always seems condescending

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Anyone remember an irish video game show called megazone.
    We're talking early 90s on network 2 where they just focused on kids playing games and kids reviewing games.
    Now that was a bad show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

quinnd6 wrote:
    Anyone remember an irish video game show called megazone.
    We're talking early 90s on network 2 where they just focused on kids playing games and kids reviewing games.
    Now that was a bad show.

That was pure cack. I remember they gave biometal on the SNES a great review. Awful game. They even praised the soundtrack which was by 2unlimited no less.

Megazone! That's what it was called. That's been wreckiing my head since i saw this thread!

Barely remember it, but i do remember thinking it was rubbish, even then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 REAPER†

Personally, I don’t see what all the show bashing is for, its Irish (which is one great reason to support it), its in its infancy, and it does what it say's on the tin… Games.

There's a large variety of people to keep pleased and it seems to me their trying to do that. Not much is happing at the moment other than xbox stuff, just bits of news bout the Wii and PS3…, which seems to be addressed. Besides I don’t see many good suggestions, just complaints.
    I recon yas should try and give it some backing co's if it gets canned, then you'll have nuffin to moan about… :eek:

Particularly love the fair and balanced opinions of those that haven't even seen it… hahaha! Please… STFU!:D

Personally, I don’t see what all the show bashing is for, its Irish (which is one great reason to support it), its in its infancy, and it does what it say's on the tin… Games.

Look at me caring. Thats no excuse for being rubbish.
    There's a large variety of people to keep pleased and it seems to me their trying to do that. Not much is happing at the moment other than xbox stuff, just bits of news bout the Wii and PS3…, which seems to be addressed. Besides I don’t see many good suggestions, just complaints.
    I recon yas should try and give it some backing co's if it gets canned, then you'll have nuffin to moan about… :eek:

We are at the eve of the release of the successor of the most successful console of all time and possibly the most interesting console ever released and they can only cover some dull xbox 360 stuff?

They may be trying to please a large group of people but looking at the posts they haven't please anyone.

We have given them enough suggestions already and they didn't follow them and guess what, they churned out a dud. They deserve the criticism, so far they have showed that they don't listen to suggestions.
    Particularly love the fair and balanced opinions of those that haven't even seen it… hahaha! Please… STFU!:D

Maybe not I haven't seen it either but from peoples discriptions I know that they have gone about it completely the wrong way just like so many others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

There's a large variety of people to keep pleased and it seems to me their trying to do that. Not much is happing at the moment other than xbox stuff, just bits of news bout the Wii and PS3

Not much happening other than xbox stuff?! Even ignoring the ps3 and wii there is still the ps2, a machine that continues to out sell the 360. On the handheld front there's the ds which is selling by the absolute millions. You could fill an hour on either of these alone, yet they are ignored in favour of a console with miniscule penetration in comparison to them.

After the first episode I said I felt it was an ad for the 360, the second was even worse in its 360 pushing. I won't be watching a third episode on why channel 6 thinks I should buy a 360.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Those people are going on the word of regulars here. There’s a certain amount of trust. That is compared to users with one post.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

monument wrote:
    Those people are going on the word of regulars here. There’s a certain amount of trust. That is compared to users with one post.
    So?
    Just because your post-count is in the thousands, it does *not* mean your opinion is better than anyone else's -- it's not like every single one of your posts is in Games->Games.

Oh and, of course, plenty of "regulars" don't like the damn show, either. (look at Retr0gamer*, his post-count is about 1600 higher than yours ;)

*sorry dude

I'm with you on this, dude.

I ask myself which do I prefer, this Irish show about games or no Irish show about games. Answer: this one. If you prefer no Irish show about games, change the channel. Problem solved. Now we should all be happy.

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Oh and, of course, plenty of "regulars" don't like the damn show, either. (look at Retr0gamer*, his post-count is about 1600 higher than yours ;)

My post was in reply to ‘REAPER†’ btw. It looks like you think I’m having a dig at Retr0gamer and Stoichkov.

And indeed its not just “plenty” of regulars, most of them have said the show has an Xbox slant.

“So?”… Well, my post was stating that when the vast majority of not all of the regular posters here state X about Y there’s a good chance its true, and, because they have been around here for a while, a certain amount of trust has amounted.

On the completely separate topic of why my “opinion is better is better than anyone else's”, it’s because I know it is, and I have edited this text so it’s in bold, italics, and I’ve underlined it.

Because everyone knows these make your posts like *facts* that nobody can argue with.

read the pages of suggestions prior to the show being produced, asked for by the producer himself. now look at the show.

...that's why there's bashing.

and supporting something because it's Irish is inane. fair city is irish, but the hell am i going to watch that...
    Not much is happing at the moment other than xbox stuff, just bits of news bout the Wii and PS3…, which seems to be addressed.

today the PS2 sees the release of guitar hero 2, one of the biggest titles of the year. in a few weeks time the Wii hits store shelves. there is absolutely no excuse (other then some awful deal with microsoft) to have any slant on the 360 whatsoever.
    Darnell13 wrote:
    I ask myself which do I prefer, this Irish show about games or no Irish show about games. Answer: this one. If you prefer no Irish show about games, change the channel. Problem solved. Now we should all be happy.

the arguments aren't a case of either 1) it being irish, or 2) having a show on irish tv about games.

it's the fact that 5 pages or so of great idea's were thrown out there at the request of the producer. it was built up by the people on this very forum, and i think a lot of us looked forward to it. then we got a bog standard magazine type show that caters to the braindead crowd who buy 3 games a year.

instead of asking if we prefer a show about games in ireland, why not ask if we prefer a show like that, or a show like 1up or on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PJX2007

http://www.gamestoaster.com/games_toaster/2006/11/channel_6_game_.html haha!

Seen it last night, it actually looked alright. Not much Irish stuff in it but i will still watch it!

Also projectmahem, in the suggestions people said they didnt want any child like challenges, stupid charts etc and they got that, whats your problem? Maybe if you tell them exactly what YOU want changed(as long as its do'able im sure) They might look at it, but as far as i can see from reading the suggestions here they are doing alright!

PJX2007 wrote:

Hmm...

Err...
    Hello John and Mark,

As the two of you have the same IP address, can I take it that the two of you are using the same internet connection, and maybe even the same computer?

ADDED: Just to let you know, the email address left with the comment under the name 'Mark Law' has bounced back (it's not a real email account)

monument wrote:
    Hmm...

Err...

haha
    nice. i notice our producer friend hasn't re-visited us since.... or has he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I missed the 3rd episode. What games were reviewed?

Advertisement