Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women can't teach men

• 22-08-2006 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

Woman fired as a Sunday school teacher because ... well she's a woman.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/21/menonly.sundayschool.ap/

1 Timothy 2 (New International Version)
    11A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. 13For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

So that's quite clear then.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

pH wrote:
    Woman fired as a Sunday school teacher because ... well she's a woman.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/21/menonly.sundayschool.ap/

11A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. 13For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

So that's quite clear then.

The church has now come out and said that they always had a list of other reasons to dismiss her, but because of "christian courtesy" they did not mention them to the public, or apparently to Ms. Lambert.

Sounds like a lot of back tracking. "Oh we had other better reasons for dismissing her but, umm ... er ... we can't tell you what they were"

Basically it looks like the board wanted her gone because she was causing trouble but knew that any reason given would not stand up so they used a obscure quote from the Bible and are now backtracking saying they don't plan to let all other female workers in the church go

I've said it before and I'll say it again .. organised religion sucks donkey balls.

http://www.newswatch50.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=BE944216-2AA3-477E-8C67-601C1F638673

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Wicknight wrote:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again .. organised religion sucks donkey balls.
    Yea - but I bet you can't prove it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

pH wrote:
    11A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. 13For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety..

And my reply to that load of hogwash is, "bite my shiney metal ass" :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

An interesting example of religion not being the problem, per se, but the excuse?

As in reading the interpretation you want (disingenuously) to get the desired results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

As in all the churches of the saints, the wives should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a wife to speak in church. What! Did the word of God originate with you, or are you the only ones it has reached? (1 Cor. 11:33b-36).
    This stuff is great. You couldn’t make it up. Actually, you could.

A lazy wife is worse than a lame camel. A noisy wife, worse that the cry of hungry children when the harvest has not come in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

pH wrote:
    Wicknight wrote:
    Yea - but I bet you can't prove it.

Please - no pictures.

worried,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement