Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting phone line though pipe

Options
  • 22-08-2006 11:48am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Guys,
    We have the phone line pipe run from house to front of site.
    But we did not get the rope through it so that we can pull the cable through, what alternative do we have?

Thanks

Comments

How thick is the pipe for a start?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

if you can see the pipe - i.e. it's uncovered....

Fishing line + metal + Magnet on outside of pipe. = success

if you can't see the pipe get some cable that won't bend too easy and push it through.

finally - if it's short enough - chimney rods.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

Tie a cork to a string, put it in the pipe, pump water into it.

Voila. String in pipe. Although it is now a wet pipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 later

Yop

I had similar problem on the electricty ducting to a shed and used fencing wire from my local Coop shop - fairly rigid - about 2 to 3 mm thick - pushed it through and attached rope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

You can hire a 100/150m long fibreglass rod on a roll, the same as the one eircom uses to push/pull the rope through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No the best way is to tie a piece of plastic bag to a nylon fishing line.
    Inside the house put the vacuum cleaner on to the pipe and start sucking, the line will be inside the house in about 3 seconds!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

CJhaughey wrote:
    No the best way is to tie a piece of plastic bag to a nylon fishing line.
    Inside the house put the vacuum cleaner on to the pipe and start sucking, the line will be inside the house in about 3 seconds!!

This is excellent. I tried lots of different push rods/wires with no success but this idea worked brilliantly.

I used a small ball of polystyrene instead of the plastic bag but the its the same principle.

This wouldn't be such a good plan if there's water in the duct though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It is a water pipe, 1/2" I think!

One end is already in the telcom box in the gable, the other is just left on the ground outside the site.
    The lenght is about 70ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

OK 70ft will take you approximately 2.5secs ;)
    Seriously once you have the nylon line inside you can tie a heavier twine on and use that to pull the cable through.
    make sure that you use a piece of tape to tie the twine to the cable so your dodgy knots won't slip off.
    edit:
    Is the pipe level on your site?
    I only ask because I had a fall of about 3m between the pole and the house, I broke the pipe outside the house with a radon sump access point.
    It is purely to stop water from filling the pipe and entering the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

If the site is still being built, see can you get a loan of a compressor.
    Same idea as before, plastic bag on a light string, feed into one end of the pipe. Turn compressor on and put one end of compressor hose to the end of the pipe and watch it blow through.
    Just make sure the person on the far end waiting for the string has safety goggles as small pieces of stone etc will blow out, also make sure its not aimed at cars/windows etc.
    Failing that, as also mentioned hire a 100m set of rods, usually come on a roll from most hire companies.

Chef

• Advertisement
Advertisement