Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slate floor - any experience?

Options
  • 22-08-2006 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advice from someone who's been there before. We're thinking of installing a slate floor (with underfloor heating) in our kitchen, and outside on the patio. Someone told me slate is impossible to keep clean, though. Is this so? Would some other stone, such as limestone, be better, or is there any justification for the high price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

We had a slate floor for 5 years in our last house. We didn't find it that hard to keep clean. Kepp it sealed every year or so, and occasionally you need to use a scrubbing brush to clean it, as a mop won't get into all the uneven surface.

Be very careful laying it. You need to grade it as they are different thicknesses, and you need to start one side of the room with the thickest and work to the other side using the next size down you you have a gentle slope, as opposed to a uneven tiles that a child could trip on.

In relation to price, I'd say shop around. I think we got it for only £10 /m2. That was 6 years ago, but I also remember seeing it for £45 back then.

Have to wonder about using slate outside, with frost and wet weather. I don't have experience with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

A friend had had these fitted on a new build less than 6 months ago and already she wants them out because they can't be kept clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

We have a slate floor in the kitchen. As Qwerty says keep it sealed and you'll have no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

We put slate floors in the kitchen of a new build about 9 months ago. They're a nightmare. We've 4 large dogs, with those & the dust, they're impossible to keep clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

We have slate in the house we are currently in, building new house, almost finished and would die before putting a slate floor in.

It depends on who is living in the house, we have a baby, 2 cats and occassional dog visits.

Its a nightmare to keep clean and the baby is the messiest! In all fairness though, I could wash the floor and it will look fab, but go to prepare dinner or anything else and it shows up every bit of dust or crumb! nightmare

• Advertisement
Advertisement