Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bash logging from multiple terminals

• 22-08-2006 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

This is for my own benefit...I sometimes come up with genius commands that I completely forget later (I'm very inventive, but very forgetful :D)....what I'd like to do is have every command from every bash shell appended to the .bash_history (or any file in fact). ATM, it's a bit hit and miss if I have more than one terminal open....some go in....some don't.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Check if the 'histappend' shell option is enabled:
    shopt histappend

If not you can set it as follows:
    shopt -s histappend

This shell option controls whether the history file is overwiritten or appended to when a shell exits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Nice one. Cheers. It was off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

You can also have bash append the command to the HISTFILE after the command was entered, as opposed to when you log out.

This is an interesting power-bash guide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

ROFL
    Target audience: people who type things in Linux

Thanks syth.

Advertisement