Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When someone locks their bike to yours...

Options
  • 22-08-2006 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

... what do you do?

It happened to me last week. Came out of a shop to find someone's lock through my brake cable. I considered locking mine to theirs and leaving a note to contact me so we could both release our bikes at the same time. Then I wondered if the owner might be a member of the Triads so I didn't bother.

Luckily, the real owner returned after about 15 minutes. I politely informed her of misdemeanour. She was pretty apologetic. I wouldn't say she was in the Triads. I wanted to get angry but didn't have the heart.

Very annoying, though...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Happened to me a few years back, parked in the city centre on the way to work. I was furious - had to get the Dart to Fairview and back. I left a note saying to contact me after they'd unlocked my bike - they were apologetic too of course and I had calmed down by that statge.

You could have disconnected your brake cable if you were in a hurry...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Correction: it was the gear cable. I would have been able to snip it but they're such a bugger to replace...

Morgan wrote:
    Happened to me a few years back, parked in the city centre on the way to work. I was furious - had to get the Dart to Fairview and back. I left a note saying to contact me after they'd unlocked my bike - they were apologetic too of course and I had calmed down by that statge.

You could have disconnected your brake cable if you were in a hurry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

happened to my friend in Montreal, the person just locked their bike to my friends crossbar I was like FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It was just locked to his bike? Maybe it was meant to be a gift :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

I have to admit here that i locked my bike to someone elses. I was talking to my friend as i was locking my bike and just wasn't concentrating. I felt really guilty about it, but am now extra careful when locking my bike!

I'll apologise to anyone here who has had this happen to them!!!

Keeping my head hung in shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I guess it's an easy enough thing to do, especially during the Summer months, when you rarely find a bike post without a bike already locked to it.

Lambsbread wrote:
    I have to admit here that i locked my bike to someone elses. I was talking to my friend as i was locking my bike and just wasn't concentrating. I felt really guilty about it, but am now extra careful when locking my bike!

I'll apologise to anyone here who has had this happen to them!!!

Keeping my head hung in shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Morgan wrote:
    It was just locked to his bike? Maybe it was meant to be a gift :confused:

we were just gonna go off with it but the we would have had to get the metro home which equals hassle with a bike.

We went for a walk (it was Grand Prix weekend so plenty to do/see) and came back like 30 mins later and the bike had been unlocked...wasn't too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭wwhyte

I locked up someone else's cable about two years ago on South Great George's St. When I came back there was a very cross note saying they'd had to cut through it. There were no contact details, so I didn't get the chance to apologise. The only good thing is I'm a lot more careful these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Why not just loosen the cable, no need to actually cut it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wwhyte wrote:
    I locked up someone else's cable about two years ago on South Great George's St. When I came back there was a very cross note saying they'd had to cut through it. There were no contact details, so I didn't get the chance to apologise. The only good thing is I'm a lot more careful these days...

I'd imagine the reason for no contact details so, one they were pissed off and two thery don't want some nutter coming after them looking for compensation for cutting their lock...even if it was their fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

I've accidentely locked someone else also, then been locked myself a few days later so I reckon it was karma acting.

But next time I get done I'm off to the local Sam Hire to get a big-ass consaw with a nice new metal disc... Hey presto, foldy uppy bike

Advertisement