Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Dashboard revealed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Very underwhelming

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

WHY do IGN have music in the background?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

chump wrote:
    Very underwhelming
    But is's so simple! :p

Such a boring video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

for 600euros i'd be expecting a little more than a psp UI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Cremo wrote:

did you pay for the UI on any console? come on, it's the best UI out there. easy to use, as functional as any UI and looks nice. 360 dashboard is all of these things but looks a bit bulky when brought up in a game, but this UI looks teh sex when brough up in a game

also, it's worth checking out the "shaky cam" stuff from e3 because the debug code IGN got was not the full thing we'll be getting... there's more sections (like photo/video etc.) in the full version

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

So where does Linux fit in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

did you pay for the UI on any console? come on, it's the best UI out there. easy to use, as functional as any UI and looks nice. 360 dashboard is all of these things but looks a bit bulky when brought up in a game, but this UI looks teh sex when brough up in a game

also, it's worth checking out the "shaky cam" stuff from e3 because the debug code IGN got was not the full thing we'll be getting... there's more sections (like photo/video etc.) in the full version

well i can't say that i have paid for one, that being said - and i know it's still unfinished - i'm still a little disapointed that it doesn't look special. sure the interface on the psp is great and it's a great interface i just don't know, i was expecting something a little different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Cremo wrote:
    Its a PSX UI actually ;)

250pxdvdxmbimg02popjy9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

I had a similar experience watching paint dry:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

steviec wrote:
    So where does Linux fit in?

it'll be on the HDD as a linux port to Cell. most likely a custom distro. it'll include a debug system and developer kit so we can go and create little games and apps of our very own (probably the reason microsoft are realeasing a mini-version of XNA for the public)

that's pretty much all i know :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Linux will fit in as the underlying OS. The UI is just a graphical system that the user sees but this will all be controlled through Linux. Think of it as using your web browser on your windows operating system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

iregk wrote:
    Linux will fit in as the underlying OS. The UI is just a graphical system that the user sees but this will all be controlled through Linux. Think of it as using your web browser on your windows operating system.
    I doubt it, i'd say it's more likely to be a dual boot or some such. Sony have said that they want a full distro of linux, so you're gonna need far more than what they have shown in the UI.

Having all of the game code on top of a full distro would also be dangerous on Sony's part, as it would make it far more likely that the DRM will be overcome earlier on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

This is just the current dev kit UI. A more complete version was actually already shown at E3, including the web browser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDqlNQf_nNo

Not all the functionality was active there, but it gives a better idea than the dev kit one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

LookingFor wrote:
    This is just the current dev kit UI. A more complete version was actually already shown at E3, including the web browser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDqlNQf_nNo

Not all the functionality was active there, but it gives a better idea than the dev kit one.

I like it, the browser looks cool

Advertisement