Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touring the west of Ireland

Options
  • 22-08-2006 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

My holiday plans this year are a little closer to home, rather than loaded touring the Loire Valley I'll be doing some "credit card touring" (no tents) in the west of Ireland.

I'll have a Wednesday-Sunday week, not quite 2 weeks, but not bad length, and starting from Newport, Co. Mayo, I need to be in Rooskey, Roscommon on the first Saturday, and after that head to Galway, and possibly the Aran Islands. Depending on schedule, I might head as far south as Clare.

I'm currently evaluating possible routes, hoping to use canal tow-paths as much as possible, and staying in the least expensive B&Bs or hostels I can find.

I am not familiar with the state of touring in my own country (ironically), so if anyone has any advice on route planning (especially related to road choice - I know what country drivers are like on their own backroads), then please share!

Thanks,
    Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I did a 4-day tour of the west last year with a couple of other lads. It was superb. We got a train to Sligo and headed out along the Sligo and Mayo coasts and then went inland, heading south through Connemara. For the most part we stuck to the regional (R) roads that went between the mountains (not being that into the climbing side of things) although we had to hit the national (N) roads from time to time. The regional roads were phenomenally quiet.

The only hairy bit on the whole trip was the road from Spiddal to Galway city, which was pretty nightmarish.

Beautiful cycling country out there though. You'll have a great time.

Trojan wrote:
    My holiday plans this year are a little closer to home, rather than loaded touring the Loire Valley I'll be doing some "credit card touring" (no tents) in the west of Ireland.

I'll have a Wednesday-Sunday week, not quite 2 weeks, but not bad length, and starting from Newport, Co. Mayo, I need to be in Rooskey, Roscommon on the first Saturday, and after that head to Galway, and possibly the Aran Islands. Depending on schedule, I might head as far south as Clare.

I'm currently evaluating possible routes, hoping to use canal tow-paths as much as possible, and staying in the least expensive B&Bs or hostels I can find.

I am not familiar with the state of touring in my own country (ironically), so if anyone has any advice on route planning (especially related to road choice - I know what country drivers are like on their own backroads), then please share!

Thanks,
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

The only hairy bit on the whole trip was the road from Spiddal to Galway city, which was pretty nightmarish.

Beautiful cycling country out there though. You'll have a great time.
    I agree, the main coast road from Spiddal > Galway can be scary, very narrow and heavy traffic. There are some great back roads, get hold of a detailed OS map and you can follow the back roads and enjoy (almost) traffic-free cycling, might take a bit longer as the routes are less direct and more hilly; well worth it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I'm thinking of getting the train to Sligo in mid-September and heading to Donegal. Anyone got any experience of touring in the northwest? Are there any particularly nice cycling routes, preferably ones that aren't too hilly...?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Anyone know of any current websites with info on touring in Ireland? I can't find any.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Well, survived the trip. Nothing crazy hectic, but a fun trip. I especially loved the canal towpath sections - intend to do a Dublin - Roscommon trip on them before xmas. Some singletrack, bog and even foot-high grass sections.

Cycle route:

Newport to Charlestown - 42 miles, main roads
    Charlestown to Rooskey - 38 miles on backroads - got lift for last part cos we were late for party
    Rooskey to Ballymahon - not sure mileage, went via canal tow-paths - superb
    Ballymahon to Athlone - short trip but worst road for cycling I've ever been on (got train to Galway then ferry to Inishmor)

Spent some time cycling around the island (not many pics, but that's where they're from)

Rossaveel (ferry port in Galway) to about 5 miles north of Leenane (Mayo side) - 42 miles, beautiful Connemara roads

Few pics, I didn't take many!

241830134_37922c9c21_m.jpg
    241830414_2f35e6416b_m.jpg
    241830312_b5fe49ce33_m.jpg
    241830224_86617e5ad6_m.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement