Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hotspots in Dublin/Bray?

• 22-08-2006 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭

Am due to be back in Ireland for a bit, on and off between now and Christmas. The folks don't have internet access at home, and I could do with it for work. I'll have my laptop with me, and a net cafe isn't that much use to me unless I can connect my laptop to it.

For my job, I need to use Smart FTP to access various servers hosted by companies I contract to, with different username and password settings, to download files of up to 120mb. Hence I don't want to use a net cafe PC - I've got my laptop configured for easy access to all the things I need and I really don't want to be trying to download stuff, moving it about on USB sticks (if they'll let me!) so on and so forth.

Anyone know of any wireless hotspots in or around Bray (yeah, unlikely I know), or in the city centre of Dublin? The sort you get at airports, you know - you boot up your laptop, select an available network, open a web browser and you can use your credit card to buy time online in installments between half an hour and 24 hours.

Failing that, can I use my laptop at a net cafe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Teamhair

There's a place on the Main Street in Bray where you can bring your laptop in. Failing that, there's a nice unsecured network down in the Maltings! Couple along the beach as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You could try heading out for a bit of a war-drive? Not the most practical, but i'd say your guaranteed to find something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Where along the beach? As for roaming in the gloaming, I don't doubt that sitting in my back garden may produce some results from my neighbours, but I don't want to commit to work before I travel on the vague chance that I might be able to get internet access...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Teamhair

Down the end, around the amusements. McDonalds had a free hot spot, if you can stomach their coffee... Not 100% if its still there or not though. Glen of The Downs hotel has a hotspot also, but it's not free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cool - thanks all. I don't mind paying for access, espeically if it's once-off for a day's flat rate - I can write that off for tax.

I'd seen the jiwire info, I just end up hoping beyond hope I'll find something like "You know that comfy pub that's 5 mins walk from your house and does great guinness? They've a hotspot."

Advertisement