Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMFG play.com

Options
  • 22-08-2006 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

Am I missing something here? or have play.com always had a "we cant send electrical goods to europe" policy??

Just got an email saying they cant sent my ds lite because of this, and will refund my card :confused: :mad:

Can anyone recommend another online retailer, that will actually ship a dslite to Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

tis the WEE charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hmm Amazon done that a while ago but haven't noticed it at Play as I have no orders from there for a while. Boo-urns to that.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

:( Anyone got any other sites I can buy a ds lite from?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

RuggieBear wrote:
    tis the WEE charge

No, they've had that policy since before WEEE came in - since they began selling electronics they've only sold them to customers in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

:( Anyone got any other sites I can buy a ds lite from?

..go to high-street shop and buy one? You won't save much if anything buying one online.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote:
    ..go to high-street shop and buy one? You won't save much if anything buying one online.

Who said anything about saving money? Just wanna buy one online!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

an now way:( I was just about or order a Creative Zen Vision M from play.com, its over €60 cheaper on play.com than Irish highstreet stores.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

You're better off just buying one in a shop GrumPy.

Then I can own you on Metroid sooner. |800M| H34d5H0T|

I am the L33T35T :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

EXACT same happened me and it cost me 6 euro cos of the exchange rate difference and cred card charges. Assholes.

I just went and bought it on the high street - not much to be saved and it means you'll have it in your paws then and there.

Also - and this is important - if you have dead pixels it will be MILES easier to get it replaced and you'll be able to check and confirm a new one before leaving if you do need to exchange one.

Seriously though, can someone recommend an online retailer? I was gonna go for ebay, but Id rther buy in a proper online shop.

• Advertisement

http://www.blahdvd.com/blah/Games_Product.aspx?productid=GAMES-NIN345-IN&platform=DS

I think these still post to Ireland - whats with your determination to get it online when you'll lose time and save feck all.

Because I might not get a chance to goto a shop, and online is quicker.

How is online quicker than picking one up in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

As people said, if you end up with stuck/dead pixels on the screen it'd be far easier to return it to a shop in town rather than to Play.

I'd always buy online too but for the sake of a few euros it wouldn't be worth it.

The stuck pixels really annoyed me.

Timans wrote:
    How is online quicker than picking one up in town?

Quicker cause I might not get a chance to go to the shop!! And its easier

Get a friend/relative to pick one up for you.

Can't emphasise the dead pixel thing enough. I imported a pink one for the girlfriend from play-asia - she has a dead pixel right in the middle of the touch screen - annoying as hell. I'm ****ed if i'm going to RMA it to hong kong.

I'll pick one up in argos tomorrow, gonna buy a few games online though.

I know what ya mean, if I get a ****ed one, it will be an uber ass pain to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

http://www.shopireland.ie/amazonshipping/ <---- damn you weee!

I really do believe Ebay may be your best bet online... good luck with that.

tba wrote:
    http://www.shopireland.ie/amazonshipping/ <---- damn you weee!

I really do believe Ebay may be your best bet online... good luck with that.

Well got one in argos today (white)

The feckers charged me 150 (catalogue price) even though the IRISH argos website has the white one at €135, and the black one at €150. :rolleyes:

I just gave in and bought it though, I spent time getting to the shop, so I wasn't leaving without one. I shoulda printed the ****ing website price out...

Oh well, I am happy with it though :D (perfect, no dead pixels) Stupid play.com can suck my anus!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Belle Ende

Can video games be purchased from Play.com without this regional delivery embargo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

cdwow would be a good bet Id say

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Belle Ende wrote:
    Can video games be purchased from Play.com without this regional delivery embargo?
    Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Belle Ende

Slurms wrote:
    Yup.
    Thanks for the direct answer.

I got the Black one GrumPy and I am regretting getting it over it's white counterpart. The fingerprints :eek:

Timans wrote:
    I got the Black one GrumPy and I am regretting getting it over it's white counterpart. The fingerprints :eek:

The fingerprintage is brutal - makes you realise how sweaty.dirty your hands really are.

I'd have loved if it came in a sort of rough matted plastic rather than smooth stuff - wouldn't get as dirty. Still though - its a machine - not a fashion statement. ;)

Yeah, but..

I'm scared to touch.. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I know it's not helpful from a consumers point of view (us), but I can completely understand why online retailers have stopped shipping certain electrical goods to Europe, Ireland in particular, lets face it, they were probably dealing with the 'lost parce' syndrome that is synonmous with An Post. Before Amazon stopped shipping to Ireland (electrical goods), I had ordered a router, a camera and a DVD player that were all successfully tracked through the postal system to Ireland and then *poof!*, shazzam, they disappeared. These online companies have probably had enough of our national disgrace of a postal system, oh, that an the WEE/PRF charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 OptimusMime

Bit late I know, but why didn't you get the DSLite from PlayAsia or LikSang?

Laguna wrote:
    These online companies have probably had enough of our national disgrace of a postal system, oh, that an the WEE/PRF charge.

Let me tell you - An Post is an express courier compared to the Royal Mail.
    My girlfriend worked for play.com and their worst destination for lost/stolen packages was southern England. Ireland had a pretty good record. I've ordered about 3000 quids worth of stuff off play.com, half of which when I lived in Cambridge and I've not had one package go missing since I've been home here in Ireland in over 2 years. When I was in england I had about 11 missing packages.

The reason they continue to ship electronics to england and not ireland is purely because in england its their larger market obviously and because they can prosecute for gross fraud. They also have a compensation scheme with Royal Mail and so can recoup some of the cost of lost/stolen packages.
    Bit late I know, but why didn't you get the DSLite from PlayAsia or LikSang?

Wouldn't advise getting something so expensive from the far east unless you can't get it here. I bought a pink DS lite for the girlfriend and I got raped by customs for VAT and if that wasn't a big enough kick in the spuds for me - UPS charged me 16 euro for paying customs on my behalf - customs charge was 45. Overall the DS lite cost me about 230 euro to import. Now i'm not too bothered because the GF loves the whole pink thing - but if that had been a white one that I could have gotten in half the time, with half the grief I'd have refused the package and gone down the shops - I'd have been off work anyways to receive the bloody package!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 OptimusMime

Wouldn't advise getting something so expensive from the far east unless you can't get it here. I bought a pink DS lite for the girlfriend and I got raped by customs for VAT and if that wasn't a big enough kick in the spuds for me - UPS charged me 16 euro for paying customs on my behalf - customs charge was 45. Overall the DS lite cost me about 230 euro to import. Now i'm not too bothered because the GF loves the whole pink thing - but if that had been a white one that I could have gotten in half the time, with half the grief I'd have refused the package and gone down the shops - I'd have been off work anyways to receive the bloody package!

Sorry to hear you were one of the unfortunate ones who got stung, in fairness, it's a bit of a lottery whether you'll have to pay up or not.

I got my first PSP and DSLite and tons of other packages from those sites and paid nothing, PA will mark it down for you too if you ask(I didn't, and accepted the risk, because then your parcel is only insured for the lesser amount. And I know loads of others who have too, only a couple got stung.

PA and LS have for years been the two best online games shops around, almost always the cheapest for import games and controlers, plus they give you sweets with your package :D

Advertisement