Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help connecting my laptop to wireless Dongle please!

• 22-08-2006 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Right,

My dad has a wifi enabled laptop and we want to get it working on the net. The only problem is that we don't have wireless broadband. I bought a wireless usb dongle to hopefully connect it to that. I set up a wireless network on my pc and said that other things connect that it via the pc and set one up on the laptop saying that it connects via another pc.

What do I do next? Do I have to get a MAC code and enter it as allow on the dongle? If so, How do I find the lappy's MAC code.

Thanks,

Timans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to the wireless forum. I also suggest you read over your post and edit it. It's very hard to work out what you've done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

irlrobins wrote:
    Moving to the wireless forum. I also suggest you read over your post and edit it. It's very hard to work out what you've done.

Well, I don't really know what I've done wrong.

Umm,

1) I want to connect the laptop to the internet.
    2) I haven't got wireless broadband
    3) I bought USb Wi-fi Dongle
    4) I've set up wireless network on my pc
    5) I've set up wireless network on laptop
    6) On pc, I have set it to the option which states "this pc connect straight to the internet and other devices connect via this pc"
    7) On the laptop I have set it to the option which states "this pc connects to the internet via another device"

What do i do next? Do I need to get a MAC code for the laptop and input the code into the wireless dongle settings to "allow" the laptop or what? If so, Where do I find the laptops MAC code.

Ok make's more sense now.

I presume you have broadband of some sort yes?

You need to make an ad hoc wireless connection. This allows the two pcs to communicate to each other. Once this is set up, you can share the internet connection of one PC with the other PC.

This page will prob give you all the info you need.

For future reference, it always helps to give as much detail as possible, and to make sure what you're saying is clear. Avoids people having to ask for details you should have given or people taking you up wrong.

Hope this helps!

Should I be doing all that on the laptop or the main pc?

On whatever PC has the internet connection.

• Advertisement

right, i've done it. To the best of my knowledge :P

What do I do on the laptop now?

Follow the instructions in that page step by step. At the end your internet connection should be working on the laptop. If it's not, report back with any problems, error message, etc.

On my host pc, it says there are no available networks. But, on my laptop, it says there is an available network. Will I just carry on through to ICS section or should I try and sort this out first?

Where is this "connect" button?

When I click on wireless networks on the laptop it comes up.

Choose a Wireless Network

"WLAN_AP" (Automatic)
    stuff here...

then down
    > Connect

Am I supposed to set up a ad hoc network on the 2nd pc aswell with the same name? Or do I not touch the 2nd pc at all?

Sorry for this, I'm such a n00b and I'm probably so annoying

EDIT - That tutorial is goin on about a 802.11b adaptor, Mine is a 802.11g if that makes any difference.

• Advertisement

Well if you've set the network up on the host PC (the one with the internet connection), then it should come up on the list of available networkson the second pc.

Edit: no steps are same for b and g.

I've removed the network on the host and doing it again.

I just created it. It goes on to say "install the card on 2nd pc" the 2nd pc in this case is wifi so, i dont need to install another card.

When I set up the network on the host pc, How do I set the laptop to be in that network, do I just enter the same name or what? Do I have to set the laptop to ad hoc aswell.

Ok not to be rude, but just go through the article carefully. It tells you exactly what to do. I'm not going to reinvent the wheel here.

Advertisement