Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia makes firmware upgrades available (OTA or download via PC) for a few S60 models

• 22-08-2006 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭

linky

Only available for the following models -

N70
    N72

Download requires USB connection, OTA requires GPRS fees.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

No E61!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

No n90 :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭lynchie

Just what I needed. Have two 6630 that are annoying the f**k out of me with them rebooting all the time, losing the singnal when changing between 3g/2g connections. Phones are over a year old, so no free firmware updates from service centres. So hopefully this update will work. Now to find my usb cable!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

lynchie wrote:
    Just what I needed. Have two 6630 that are annoying the f**k out of me with them rebooting all the time, losing the singnal when changing between 3g/2g connections. Phones are over a year old, so no free firmware updates from service centres. So hopefully this update will work. Now to find my usb cable!!

Nokia phones have a two year warranty?

Also remember if you have a branded version of firmware, the Nokia software will only upgrade to the latest version for that brand.

Vodafone Ireland's latest firmware for 6630 is 4.03.38, however latest generic is 6.03.08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭lynchie

skearon wrote:
    Nokia phones have a two year warranty?

Also remember if you have a branded version of firmware, the Nokia software will only upgrade to the latest version for that brand.

Vodafone Ireland's latest firmware for 6630 is 4.03.38, however latest generic is 6.03.08

You sure its two years skearon? So I can still bring it to a service center for a firmware upgrade for free?

Anyway, ran the upgrade last night.. Damn, their software is so slow at updating.. took about 40 mins to do it. But you were right it put the voda branded 4.03.38 on it.. Was hoping to get the 6.x one on it. Although its better than the 2.x firmware that was on it!!

• Advertisement

lynchie wrote:
    You sure its two years skearon? So I can still bring it to a service center for a firmware upgrade for free?

Anyway, ran the upgrade last night.. Damn, their software is so slow at updating.. took about 40 mins to do it. But you were right it put the voda branded 4.03.38 on it.. Was hoping to get the 6.x one on it. Although its better than the 2.x firmware that was on it!!

See http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,77086,00.html

If you want generic on it, I can flash it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pkeno

I bought a vodafone branded 6630 but it was giving me problems so i got it flashed to generic nokia firmware 3.45.113.
    If i use the update tool will it put vodafone software back on it or stick to generic?
    I certainly don't want the vodafone logo flashing at me every time i start the phone!

pkeno wrote:
    I bought a vodafone branded 6630 but it was giving me problems so i got it flashed to generic nokia firmware 3.45.113.
    If i use the update tool will it put vodafone software back on it or stick to generic?
    I certainly don't want the vodafone logo flashing at me every time i start the phone!
    You should get generic, which will mean the latest version

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Anyone try updating a Vodafone N70?

I'd like to try generic firmware on my 6680 but only if I was sure I could change it back to the Vodafone one if need be. Basically, I don't want to potentially lose the Vodafone Live features by debranding it.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote:
    I'd like to try generic firmware on my 6680 but only if I was sure I could change it back to the Vodafone one if need be. Basically, I don't want to potentially lose the Vodafone Live features by debranding it.

You won't lose Vodafone Live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

great news!!

Right, my brother tried using the updater to flash his 6630 and it went fine, got the latest Vodafone branded firmware (4.03.38). He got a lot of features he hadn't before, such as the unread SMS icon on the standby screen and the mode selection (Dual/GSM).

But me... I tried to use Phoenix to install generic 5.03.08. It got to 5% and failed. Now my phone is toast and I have to send it to a friend in Mullingar to be flashed with a JAF box. It's stuck in the ADL loader and won't go any further or be detected by Phoenix or the Nokia updater. That'll teach me. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Mossy

irish1 wrote:
    No E61!!
    ned78 wrote:
    No n90 :-(

The upgrades are only available for S60 2nd Edition phones so far. The E61 and N90 models are both 3rd Edition.

According to N93 WOM World people with N93 phones (an S60 3rd Edition model) will be able to upgrade their firmware from 1st September. This implies that the upgrade will be available for 3rd Edition models at that time (or some of them anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

n90 is 2nd edition,the n70 and n90 were the 1st wave of n series phones which were 2nd edition (8.1a)

Another update. My brother's 6630 always had a major problem, its battery only lasted about 18-20 hours even with 3G off (or in offline mode). But since the update his phone has now gone 28 hours without even losing one bar of battery, and that's with 3G on and after receiving a call.

I suspect there was a thread hogging the cpu and the reflash fixed it. Even a hard format didn't work. So he's chuffed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

LoGiE wrote:
    Anyone try updating a Vodafone N70?
    Did me N70 last night - had to go to an internet cafe cos it doesn't work with VPC on my Mac. Takes a while though - half an hour or so. Upgraded from Vodafone v2 xxx to V 5.0609.2.0.1. Cant see a whole lot of difference, think the default theme is different. There's probably a list of improvements somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭#Smokey#

Tried it on my o2 N70 and said no available updates.Even though the newest is v5 and my phone is only v2 :(

Weird thing is that it found an update before but failed to download now its not finding any updates.

Got the phone unlocked and all and now same old crappy firmware

#Smokey# wrote:
    Tried it on my o2 N70 and said no available updates.Even though the newest is v5 and my phone is only v2 :(

Weird thing is that it found an update before but failed to download now its not finding any updates.

Got the phone unlocked and all and now same old crappy firmware

Latest O2 IE firmware is 3.0546.2.3, latest generic is 5.0616.2.0.3, you should have been upgraded to 3.0546.2.3, however if you get it reflashed with generic you should then be able to use Nokia's service to get the latest from then on.

ok but can someone tell me how to flash it to generic 5.0616.2.0.3

I got the 5.0616.2.0.3.EURO firmware but how do i flash it?

• Advertisement

#Smokey# wrote:

I'm saying nothing, I killed my phone this way...

its not the Phoenix way is it?

and would a Nokia Service Centre flash it to generic for me?

#Smokey# wrote:
    its not the Phoenix way is it?
    Yes, if you do it yourself.
    #Smokey# wrote:
    and would a Nokia Service Centre flash it to generic for me?
    Depends on who you're dealing with and how helpful they want to be.

ok i actually got the phone updated to v3 after about 10 tries. But since the phone is unlocked to all networks shouldnt the NSC flash generic if i asked them to and do you know of any NSC's that have done it before, flash to generic i mean

I don't know, never dealt with them personally.

Nokia phones have a code under the battery beside the IMEI and this determines what branding the phone has, so I'm wondering, unless this code is changed by the person who debrands it, would the Nokia updater put the branded firmware back on?

well thanks for the help. Maybe a local NSC would stick on generic firmware if a good customer asked them to.

see ya later anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 col1

Cheers for that,

When I tired it on my n70,it said installation failed but when I checked
    it had worked v 3.0546,2.3 18-11-05 to v5.0616.2.0.3 24-04-06

#Smokey# wrote:

If you google there are sites with details about a hacked version of Phoenix software, however it would be safer to bring it to someone with the correct hardware and software to do it for you.

oh i know all about the hacked phoenix( dongle crack ) but it is a bit risky as you say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

#Smokey# wrote:
    ok i actually got the phone updated to v3 after about 10 tries. But since the phone is unlocked to all networks shouldnt the NSC flash generic if i asked them to and do you know of any NSC's that have done it before, flash to generic i mean

I'd like to know how u get on. I have an unlocked 6680 with Voda branding but I use on O2 now, so I'd really like a generic.

Advertisement