Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia makes firmware upgrades available (OTA or download via PC) for a few S60 models

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

amby666 wrote:
    I'd like to know how u get on. I have an unlocked 6680 with Voda branding but I use on O2 now, so I'd really like a generic.

I have the equipment to flash them, I live in Co Wicklow, where are you located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

skearon wrote:
    I have the equipment to flash them, I live in Co Wicklow, where are you located?

Near Co. Wicklow. Loughlinstown. I'll PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

cool just upgraded a factory sim free N70...

sw ver before flash
    v3.0546.2.3
    18-11-05
    rm84

sw ver after flashing
    v 5.0616.2.0.3
    24-04-06
    rm 84

seems a fancier version.,.... also signal meter is showing stronger signal
    took 6 mins worked a dream,,, yipee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Bah! It wont update my phone (6680). It says that there is no update available. I have: 3.04.37 (01-06-05), it is the generic unbranded firmware.

I suspect it wont upgrade because it sees the SIM card is 3 and it cannot find a newer version of the 3 branded software to stick onto it.

Bah! It wont update my phone (6680). It says that there is no update available. I have: 3.04.37 (01-06-05), it is the generic unbranded firmware.

I suspect it wont upgrade because it sees the SIM card is 3 and it cannot find a newer version of the 3 branded software to stick onto it.
    Was your phone originally 3 branded?

• Advertisement

Try this:

Remove SIM, start phone enter *#7370#, this is full factory reset and will wipe every setting, then try firmware upgrade without SIM

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭#Smokey#

any luck on finding time to come up skearon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Whens the firmware for the E61 coming out ?

I just got one at the weekend and it definitly needs an upgrade. According to the clock software on it Ireland is GMT+1 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭#Smokey#

that could be right you know since the clock goes forward and hour then back etc etc.

KTRIC wrote:
    Whens the firmware for the E61 coming out ?

I just got one at the weekend and it definitly needs an upgrade. According to the clock software on it Ireland is GMT+1 :confused:

The current E61 firmware is V1.0610.04.04, this hasn't changed since April, however I found reflashing a Vodafone E61 with generic firmware improved its stability.

Perhaps the +1 indicates Summer time?

There is a 2.0618.06.05 test firmware around, however it hasn't been formally released yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

How do I find out what version I have?

Pataman wrote:
    How do I find out what version I have?

*#0000#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Karsini wrote:
    Was your phone originally 3 branded?
    Aye, it was. The local NSC flashed it for me with the latest generic version. I was hoping they may be able to unlock it as well so that I could then be able to sell it for any network when I upgrade.

I will try it again, but when I upgrade, I will just get the NSC to flash it to the latest if I cannot do it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

skearon wrote:
    The current E61 firmware is V1.0610.04.04, this hasn't changed since April, however I found reflashing a Vodafone E61 with generic firmware improved its stability.

There is a 2.0618.06.05 test firmware around, however it hasn't been formally released yet

Have you got a generic firmware I can try ?

Aye, it was. The local NSC flashed it for me with the latest generic version. I was hoping they may be able to unlock it as well so that I could then be able to sell it for any network when I upgrade.

I will try it again, but when I upgrade, I will just get the NSC to flash it to the latest if I cannot do it myself.
    Yeah, like I said earlier, each Nokia has a product ID that refers to the branding which is on it (I didn't know this until last week). When the service centre flashed it they probably didn't change the ID so the updater is looking for 3 branded firmware to put on it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It says on the site that it will delete all data, is this totally true? How do I back up everything so I don't loose any data?

Zascar wrote:
    It says on the site that it will delete all data, is this totally true? How do I back up everything so I don't loose any data?

Nokia Data Suite can sync contacts, calender, notes to Outlook and will allow you copy off any ring tones, pictures, videos etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks, I'll do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Great, it works on the n70. Prefer the new software but it does delete everything first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 spread_the_love

Hi,
    thanks for all the good advice here. I managed to upgrade my Vodafone 6630 but only to version 4.03.38 25-04-05, which is an improvement, but disappointed that it's not the latest.

My real problem is that I upgraded to remove bizarre "out of memory" warnings I was getting, but they're still there. My understanding was that the phone's "RAM" was polluted at startup by various applications (even after I uninstalled them), so I thought a firmware upgrade would clean that up. Does an upgrade not clean up the memory? Do I need to do a Deep Reset to resolve this issue?

If I do a Deep Reset and restore a backup will the restoration of the backup also restore any application issues (or does it purely restore content)?

many thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭lynchie

Hi,
    thanks for all the good advice here. I managed to upgrade my Vodafone 6630 but only to version 4.03.38 25-04-05, which is an improvement, but disappointed that it's not the latest.

My real problem is that I upgraded to remove bizarre "out of memory" warnings I was getting, but they're still there. My understanding was that the phone's "RAM" was polluted at startup by various applications (even after I uninstalled them), so I thought a firmware upgrade would clean that up. Does an upgrade not clean up the memory? Do I need to do a Deep Reset to resolve this issue?

If I do a Deep Reset and restore a backup will the restoration of the backup also restore any application issues (or does it purely restore content)?

many thanks for any advice.

I feel ur pain. I always get memory is full errors, or the phone deciding to restart it self for no apparent reason. I upgraded to the latest voda firmaware too.. seems to have solved some of my other issues, but i can live with the memory errors for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I upgraded my Nokia 6680, it was one of the first batch of Vodafone ready-to-go upgrades and it's SIM-free. The firmware on it was 3.something.

Upgrade completed successfully, firmware on it is now v5.04.07 15-02-06 RM-36, however the application menu button stopped working!!!

It's the bottom left button, that brings up the symbian menu that drives the whole thing! So now all I have are the apps that are in the default active screensaver or whatever that symbian thing is called that shows you 5 apps on the home page. Basically contacts, text message, calendar, camera and image print. No way to get to my apps, no way to change settings!

I tried resetting it with *#7780# and *#7370#, both appear to work, they ask for the phone to be reset, and still I can't use the application menu!

Like I said, no errors were reported, and I ran the update as instructed.
    Any suggestions? I don't know what else to try.

Is there a way to revert back to the original firmware?

netman wrote:
    Is there a way to revert back to the original firmware?
    I don't think BB5 allows you to backflash. When I updated my Vodafone 6680 I was given 4.04.07 (I think... it was in the 4s), is yours generic? I'm surprised you got 5.04.07.

I think my battery's lasting longer with the new firmware, just got 6 days out of it with 3G on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

For those with E61s' - firmware updates are now available online on the Nokia software update. Just updated mine to the latest and all went well. Only does non -branded firmware at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Thanks for your help, I re-flashed the phone with the same update and this time didn't restore the backup - everything's working fine...

Well, apart from losing all the apps, messages, photos, contacts etc. No biggie, I got the contacts synced with outlook so most of them are there...

I believe the problem showed up when I used a newer PC Sync software to restore an older version backup, but I was forced into an upgrade because my existing PC Sync wouldn't connect to the phone after the firmware upgrade... werid stuff...

Anyway, the vodafone stuff... Phone is now completely unbranded, thank god, not that it was heavily branded in the first place. I got rid of the vodafone theme, so it was just the startup logo, and now that's gone too.

I'm hoping that the backup/restore is going to work better in the future. I might just upgrade PC Sync first, backup, and then do the firmware and restore.

Now to find where I put all that Nokia software I had on it.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

I have the same problem for the 6680

V4.04.07
    22-08-05
    RM-36

Im on O2, my firmware is O2 branded

Brianb8802 wrote:
    I have the same problem for the 6680

V4.04.07
    22-08-05
    RM-36

Im on O2, my firmware is O2 branded

Latest generic firmware for your phone is V5.04.07, if yours is a branded firmware then you will need to bring it to someone how has the tools to reflash with generic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

skearon wrote:

i have an unbranded e61 code: 0538289 uk sim free model bought from expansys. current firmware 1.0XXXXX when i try using nokia online update
    it says that no firmware update available... but i know that ver 2 is available.

does anyone know what the story is with this an why my phone wont update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

The latest firmware version is 2.0618.06.05

However (I believe) some expansys units were gray market imports from the far east - the model number you gave below determines whether the update matches the phone.

What may be happening is that the latest firmware is not yet tested on the geo model you have.

what_car wrote:
    i have an unbranded e61 code: 0538289 uk sim free model bought from expansys. current firmware 1.0XXXXX when i try using nokia online update
    it says that no firmware update available... but i know that ver 2 is available.

does anyone know what the story is with this an why my phone wont update?

Advertisement