Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to connect new laptop to wireless - PROBLEMS!!

• 22-08-2006 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

All - have a new wireless setup (belkin 125 speed), working fine with my work laptop. However, cant get my new personal laptop to connect. its an advent 7095 with a USB wireless dongle. It is picking up the belkin, and signal strength is excellent but it cannot connect. When I try the repair option, it is just continually renewing IP address.

I have set up a MAC filter on the router, but have added the MAC of the new machine to the filter (and happy that i have got the correct address in there).

the USB dongle was supplied with the laptop and is NOT a belkin, think its a b & g...whereas the router is a g? i think.... Does this matter? Do I need a belkin usb dongle? or what else could it be?

thanks all!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Teamhair

Have you got a WEP key set up on the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭JonnyXXX

the network key password i guess you mean? yes. and that was requested by the new set-up and I entered it. didnt come back to me with a message on that. thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Make sure DHCP is enabled on router, and that the laptop is set to get an ip automatically.

Switch off any encryption (WEP/WPA) and mac filter for now. Get the connection working on vanilla settings first and then add the fancy stuff.

Yep, thats the one. I suggest logging onto the router and removing the MAC filtering, just to rule it out of the equation. Maybe have a quick look at your IP settings also. Firewall?

thanks folks - whats the method to check that the laptop is set to get an ip automatically?

thanks will try these options.

• Advertisement

Start->settings->control panel->Network Connections.

Right click on the wireless connection and click on properties. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on properties button. Should be set to obtain ip and dns automatically.

Might just check that the router is set up for DHCP then as well.

Did I not say that ^ :p

Ha ha! Don't think so!

irlrobins wrote:
    Make sure DHCP is enabled on router, and that the laptop is set to get an ip automatically.
    Ahem, post #4. I'll take apology in any form you wish. :p

• Advertisement

Whoops! I humbly apologise. You are the IT King!

What's my name? Say my name, bitch!
    :p

thanks folks. up and running by turning off MAC filter and network key. but i want these on. i turned them back on again to see but i lost connection again. what could it be? incompatable USB dongle???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

JonnyXXX wrote:
    thanks folks. up and running by turning off MAC filter and network key. but i want these on. i turned them back on again to see but i lost connection again. what could it be? incompatable USB dongle???

Make sure you are entering the MAC address of the wireless interface and not the networkcard which is also attached to your laptop. Had to fix my brothers before and he'd put the network card MAC address rather than the wireless one.

Add mac filter first, see if that breaks it. If not, add the encryption. If that breaks it, turn both off and then just turn encryption on. That way you can pinpoint the culprit.

latest is that both when turned on individually also loose the connection. so i am afraid its not just one being a culprit.

I got the mac address from cmd and then ipconfig all, and used the "physical address". but as i said the problem appears larger than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

For now forget the MAC address filtering, it doesn't add much security wise, when entering the passphrase copy and paste it into a text file and save it to a USB stick to transfer the passphrase to your personal laptop, don't just type it in as that's more than likely where you are going wrong.

MC

ok some progress. MAC filter aint the culprit. works with that on. the WEP set up is causing it. i am not getting the option to key in the network key. (i did once earlier). when i go into network connections, the wireless conection is there, moving between "not connected" and "acquiring network address". when i go to view wireless networks, the list is empty. however, when i go into the usb dongle icon, i can see the router being picked up but not connecting. when i ask it to connect, it asks me do i want to use a previous WPA setting and i say yes. i have also tried choosing no and keying in the pass phrase but no luck

folks i am sorted. i changed security from WPA to 128 bit WEP...thanks to irlrobins, Dingatron, MunsterCycling and i cant forget Teamhair!!

Advertisement