Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best SatNav program from PocketPC with 100% Ireland coverage

• 22-08-2006 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Am looking to update to 100% Irish coverage. Currently running Mapopolis.

What’s the best that's out there. I can get the AA Navigator package for 120ish euro, in bricks and mortar store.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

route 66 navigator 7 or anything else with navteq mapping
    although i drove from donegal town to shannon airport and back yesterday and was disappointed by the lack of side roads cos in donegal and leitrim all the back roads i've been on so far seem to be on it
    dont know of that helps at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Mapopolis have the 100% Irish coverage maps too. There's a fairly recent thread about it kicking about. They're less than 100 euro for the whole of Western Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Destinator 6.0 has 100% coverage but check their supported devices first to make sure yours is on the list. Navigon 6.0 out later this year will also have full coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Thanks Guys,

I've used mapopolis for a bout a year, and I'm not impressed with the program. can be often hard to find the destination, I travel long distances, and often I rely on tryng to remember road junctions rather than just enter the town I want to go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

BigMoose wrote:
    Mapopolis have the 100% Irish coverage maps too. There's a fairly recent thread about it kicking about. They're less than 100 euro for the whole of Western Europe.
    Dont think Mapopolis is available anymore. When you go to the site you get the following "Mapopolis has discontinued all consumer sales.". Its a shame really especially when i was going to buy it today. More info can be found here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76767.
    Any ideas where i can purchase GPS software with navtec maps that i'll be able to download rather than them posting. The reason i ask is that i am off to the UK on friday and i need it setup by then. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Try smart2go ( www.smart2go.com) from Nokia. The map quality is good but I'm not 100% happy with the routing (see my blog). You can download the software and maps for free (using your Pc or device - it cna be slow) but pay for actual voice guided routing as in "turn left in 100 metres, turn left in 50 metres, I said turn left !" but the free service includes route planning (an electronic version like the AA with turns etc).

The maps seem to be hybrid Navteq and TeleAtlas.

parsi wrote:
    Try smart2go ( www.smart2go.com) from Nokia. The map quality is good but I'm not 100% happy with the routing (see my blog). You can download the software and maps for free (using your Pc or device - it cna be slow) but pay for actual voice guided routing as in "turn left in 100 metres, turn left in 50 metres, I said turn left !" but the free service includes route planning (an electronic version like the AA with turns etc).

Thanks for the info. Looks good but the only problem i have is i want to use my Ipaq and not a phone :(. May just have to go to Halfords this evening and purchase an off the shelf system.

It works on Windows Mobile 5 as well and doesn't really need connectivity (if you use Mapoloader to download maps via the PC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

parsi wrote:

Having used it on the N95 a fair bit now I don't actually trust it. E.g going through newry it insisted I turn off the main road and go through two villiages only to arrive a short distance back up the road. Also as I posted on another thread it has the Castleblaney bypass when they've only just started building it. In Dublin it has taken me through some rare directions in some places although coverage is generally fairly good there. I'll only be using it when I'm really stuck.

Hmm. So the map quality is good but the directions aren't ? Bit like having herself doing navigator /ducks.

• Advertisement

gafarrell wrote:
    Dont think Mapopolis is available anymore. When you go to the site you get the following "Mapopolis has discontinued all consumer sales.". Its a shame really especially when i was going to buy it today. More info can be found here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76767.
    Any ideas where i can purchase GPS software with navtec maps that i'll be able to download rather than them posting. The reason i ask is that i am off to the UK on friday and i need it setup by then. Cheers

Just an update on this. I bought Navigon MobileNavigator 6 before the weekend as it was available for download,(2GB). It uses navteq maps so its fairly up to date. I used it in the UK and it worked a charm aswell. It has coverge for most of europe which might come in handy. One thing is that you need a 2GB SD card. I had one already so it was not such a big issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

If you are having problems with SatNav did you see this news report?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0502/6news_av.html?2244368,null,230

This gives an inkling as to why TeleAtlas maps aren't quite as good as Navteq http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.10/mapquest.html

Foggy43 wrote:
    If you are having problems with SatNav did you see this news report?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0502/6news_av.html?2244368,null,230
    love to know what software and maps he was using

Advertisement