Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to repeat LC after I have graduated with a degree?

Options
  • 22-08-2006 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Hi,

I did my Leaving Cert a few years ago, I have since gone on to obtain 2 HND'S (via PLC route) and a BA HONS Degree - HOWEVER - I failed LC maths, and I didn't do as well in my LC as I would have liked.

Now that I am totally finished college, I was wondering, would it be possible for me to repeat my Leaving Cert, on a part time basis.

I don't need it for anything at this stage, but I would like to prove to myself that I can do it, and do it well.

Is it possible to repeat the leaving cert when you have already graduated from college?

Has anyone here ever done it, or do you know someone who has, or is going to do it?

I would really appreciate your feedback on this,

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

You can repeat the LC at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I would like to do it part time, or through home schooling, if thats possible.

I know 2 girls who sat their leaving certs in a school hall, but studied for the exams with a home tutor, but I am not sure how to go about arranging this. Any ideas?

All you have to do is let the local school know that you are repeating. Ask them to facilitate you in the exams, and if possible register through them. If they cant/wont register you through them, just contact the Examinations Commission, and register with them.

Also, you can simply repeat Maths if you like? You don't have to do the full whack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

You can find a lot of useful information here.

You could use Kilroy's College but they are completely useless. You could go to a grinds school. Most VEC do leaving cert courses for repeats and mature students. You can also look at irish-grinds.com.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for all your replies. I am really excited about this.
    For years I have been a bit ashamed of my Leaving Cert results.
    I am doing this for me, and I really want to do well this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Procrastinator

If I were you, I'd contact the institute of education in leeson street, or some other private leaving sert cramming place, to find out about special tuition for LC maths.
    That's what a lot of the students that get the big Univesity places are doing, so why shouldn't you.

If you want private lessons at home, 'grinds', they should know people who are available, perhaps some of those same teachers working privately.

I would say though, you should be looking for someone who's familiar with the LC sylabus. This, perhaps, doesn't apply to maths so much as its an either right ot wrong subject, with no interpretative leeway, but other subjects have some kind of formula and slant, or way of writing that the examiners are looking for. The institutes of education or the private LC colleges know these methods, tricks, ways of looking at the subject and they're as important as the academic material for the subject itself.

People who give grinds are sometiomes people with degrees who've never taught in secondary school...this, i believe, puts their pupils at a disadvantage

Good luck...was a mature student myself...so kind of know how it feels.

If I were you, I'd contact the institute of education in leeson street, or some other private leaving sert cramming place, to find out about special tuition for LC maths.
    That's what a lot of the students that get the big Univesity places are doing, so why shouldn't you.

If you want private lessons at home, 'grinds', they should know people who are available, perhaps some of those same teachers working privately.

I would say though, you should be looking for someone who's familiar with the LC sylabus. This, perhaps, doesn't apply to maths so much as its an either right ot wrong subject, with no interpretative leeway, but other subjects have some kind of formula and slant, or way of writing that the examiners are looking for. The institutes of education or the private LC colleges know these methods, tricks, ways of looking at the subject and they're as important as the academic material for the subject itself.

People who give grinds are sometiomes people with degrees who've never taught in secondary school...this, i believe, puts their pupils at a disadvantage

Good luck...was a mature student myself...so kind of know how it feels.

Thanks for the advice. My sister just did her Leaving Cert last year.
    I actually know someone who is willing to tutor me, she helped me with my Junior and Leaving full time around - I got 9 honours in my Junior, but by the time my Leaving came around I was away with the fairies, thought I knew it all, and no amount of help would have seen me get a better result.

This time around, I really want to do well, for me, so I am really going to knuckle down and give it my best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

there is the story of a guy in sligo who did commerce, repeated the leaving and is now doing med. so i'm guessing it'll be fine

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. My sister just did her Leaving Cert last year.
    I actually know someone who is willing to tutor me, she helped me with my Junior and Leaving full time around - I got 9 honours in my Junior, but by the time my Leaving came around I was away with the fairies, thought I knew it all, and no amount of help would have seen me get a better result.

This time around, I really want to do well, for me, so I am really going to knuckle down and give it my best.

If you don't mind me asking what points did you get the first time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭j2u

hi im currently doing the exact same thing,i wish to get as many points as possibleto go to college but i still dont now exactly what yet,you see when i was doing my leaving cert i was planning on doing an apprentice but i then found out nearer to the end of the year that im colourblind which leaves me screwed for pretty much all apprenticeships ,i also cant join the army or the gaurds so feel as though maybe something else that may require college would be better ,i have decided to do all three science subjects,even though i only did chemistry in the leaving when i did it in 2005 so im getting grinds in physics and biology for an hour and a half of each and then chemistry for an hour a week,the guy eho gives the biology and physics comes to my door twice a week which is handy for me.

How do you only find out you were colour blind when you went for an apprenticeship. No insult meant just wondering how you only found out then.

Advertisement