Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers and drugs

Options
  • 22-08-2006 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi

Anyone recommend a good book that deals with Teenagers and drugs
    from a parenting point of view ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Not drugs specifically, but a very good book is "Life Strategies for Teens" by Jay McGraw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Wex1

Here's some online stuff that may be useful

www.clubscene.ie
    Information on drugs for young people and the club scene in Dublin

www.dap.ie
    Providing information on drug-related issues for young people and families, as well as an online support service

www.drugsinfo.ie
    Health Promotion Unit website with information on Ireland's National Drug Strategy

www.dwec.ie/walktall/index.htm
    Information on the Walk Tall substance misuse programme for primary schools

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

As a father of a 7 month old girl I know I have a while before I enter this area but I must admit this is the one area that probably scares the sh*t out of me when I look into the future..I keep thinking I will approach this in a liberal & open manner but in theory this sounds fine but how would I really react if I found drugs on her??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Wex1

No one really knows til we get there do we?

All we can do is be there for them to talk to and make sure that problems like this can be talked about and that they know it

Its catch 22 ain't it - too liberal and they might think we're ok with it and not liberal and they'll do it behind your back

Anyway enjoy the years between 7 months and whenever they start leaving the nest on their own,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

As far as I know Allen Carr (of "Easyway to Stop Smoking" fame!) wrote a book about how to stop your children taking drugs... he definately has one on stopping your children smoking.

I can personally recommend his methods as a manic smoker for 18 years who stopped 3 years ago and found it easy-peasy! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement