Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning to Swim

• 22-08-2006 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭

Maybe someone will have a suggestion on how I can conquer my fear of swimming. I am 28 and have taken more swimming lessons than I can remember. I know how to swim, the problem is that as soon as my face goes in the water I panic. I have this fear that I won't be able to breathe and I'll swallow water and it's all I can think about so everything else goes out the window and I forget what I'm doing.
    I think if I could get the hang of breathing properly I would be fine. I started a new set of lessons last night and it was the same old story. I keep lifting my head out of the water which makes my legs drop down so I don't get anywhere. My instructors have all been very clear on what to do and I totally understand how to do it. I just can't!
    Does anyone know any breathing excercises or anything that would stop me from panicking when my face is in the water?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

Can you fully submerge your head in the water even ?
    Say if you were stood up in the water, to your chest height, are you able to just crouch down without panicing too ?

If you can do that much its simply a matter of confidence, just take it one step at a time really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Hypnotherapy perhaps?It's meant to work great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The hardest part of learning to swim for an adult tends to be getting over the fear of drowning. Rather than trying to 'swim' I think you should concentrate on the bit you are uncomfortable with which is 'floating' with your head in the water. Once you have gotten used to floating face down on shallow water and standing back up without getting worried the rest becomes simple practice.

Perhaps go to the pool with a friend who can swim outside of the lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You could try at home in the tub, or is that different? Submerge your head in the tub for as long as you can.

You may want to try using a snorkel set. This way you can breath and also see under water. You can keep your head down and legs up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

I've seen a few people wearing a kind of bouyant belt, a sort of a girdle rather than a life belt, and jogging up and down in the pool. I think it's probably very good for the legs, but it also helps to keep the head above water. Perhaps you could try this and occasionally stick your head into the water, knowing that you're not going to sink and at the same time building up the strength in your legs.

Perhaps trying to do some version of the backstroke might also help build up your confidence in actually being in the water. This also involves breathing while moving your arms and legs in the water so it might be a start getting these various steps coordinated.

Just to remind you that it really is worth trying to get it sorted out. Swimming is something that is very healthy for you. You'll still be able to do it long after your jogging days are over:D

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I keep lifting my head out of the water which makes my legs drop down so I don't get anywhere.
    Here's the problem. No doubt you lift your entire head up, yes? Thats a no-no.

When swimming forward, your head goes to the right (or left) and you take a breath, when that side arm is under the water. Its the "next step" when teaching people to swim, to stop bringing their entire torso up, and instead just put their head to the side.

=-=

Another thing to do is to practise, maybe on your own time, is learn how to thread water*. The advantage of this is, if swimming and you thing you're going to drown, take a breather, thread water for a couple of seconds, and continue on.

*Threading water is when you stay in one spot, and using your arms and legs to stay afloat. Ask your swimming instructor if unsure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

What about lying in a bath ? You could use that to get used to the idea of keeping your head underwater as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

i think the best suggestion is already made, if you wer to stand, and then slowly crouch, ie. you are fully aware you are not going to drown, then when ur satisfied with that, crouch, but let your feet off the ground and float back up, so slowly losing reliance on depth, then you could take the final step:
    1: do same above, but by the edge and push off from the edge while under water,
    2: try swimmin!!
    i hope it al goes well for you, its a great past time, let us know`!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From teaching kids how to swim, I find that once they can touch the ground, they usually overcome the fear of swimming, as such. The pool you sim in: is it deep? Can you touch the bottom with your feet, and still have your head above the water?

Sometimes this lack of control of your surroundings may frighten people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

My sister had the same problem. She had a very good instructor and after some investigating it was found that she didn't even put her face under the shower when she was showering, so they started there and worked up and she has now conquered her fear. Start small and take it one step at a time. Prolong your head under the shower, then try submerging in the batch, shallow end of the pool and keep working up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

You're not alone!

i was like a fish as a kid, lived in the swimming pool, diving, handstands in water! I could swim under the water but not on top?

Now i wont get my face wet! Havent swam in years.

going to the swimming pool with the little fella is a nightmare i just stand there splashing with him holding his hands and telling him not to be afraid!! (he thinks i can swim) i cant thread water and for some reason i dont float when i try!!

I want to get lessons for the little fellas sake but am terrified of putting my head under the water for some reason and i am mortified of the instructors and other learners seeing me panic.

but well done for getting the lessons and making an effort!

sorry no helpful suggestions such some moral support!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Maybe someone will have a suggestion on how I can conquer my fear of swimming. I am 28 and have taken more swimming lessons than I can remember. I know how to swim, the problem is that as soon as my face goes in the water I panic. I have this fear that I won't be able to breathe and I'll swallow water and it's all I can think about so everything else goes out the window and I forget what I'm doing.
    I think if I could get the hang of breathing properly I would be fine. I started a new set of lessons last night and it was the same old story. I keep lifting my head out of the water which makes my legs drop down so I don't get anywhere. My instructors have all been very clear on what to do and I totally understand how to do it. I just can't!
    Does anyone know any breathing excercises or anything that would stop me from panicking when my face is in the water?

When i started to swim i would just grip the side and slowly submerge til i got used to the feeling of it.
    it may be yu have a phobia? someone earlier suggested hypnotherapy
    I was looking and found something on progressive exposure:
    http://www.anxietycoach.com/pan8.htm

Hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Snap, same age, similar problem.
    Fair play to you, I went on my holidays this year and swam for the first time in my life. I made everyone take videos of it! :D

any how, my solution, swim without putting your face in the water.
    Breast stoke I think its called, it keeps your head up and out of the water.
    If you dont believe me try it in shallow water in the sea where you can put your feet on the ground (and hands if neccessary), to catch yourself, then ease yourself out a little deeper as you get better at it.

Now I'll never be a fish but at least I proved I can move in water, and I've had a fear of it since I was a child.
    Keep trying, and keep going to the pool the more familiar you get with the water the more comfortable you get in it.
    again fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Maybe try the bath thing, I guess its easier for some people as they might have learned in school at a young age or that (at least I did).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

In the winter I sometimes surf with a vest to say warm. It's quarter inch foam and will add to your buoyancy, but will not pose a problem when swimming (made for surfing, snorkling, and diving). Be sure to specify female when getting fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

scuba could also be good to try, as you can breath under the water.try the bath thing tho, seems like an idea, and best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

When I was learning to swim at swimming lessons, as a child, we learned to duck our heads under the surface and "blow bubbles". You're consciously exhaling, so you learn not to inhale while under water, and it's fun to blow bubbles and see the light catch them.

Also they tossed hockey pucks to the floor of the pool and we had to fetch them, I guess to get us more comfortable with the water.

I hope you learn to be more comfortable in the water! I did a lot of swimming as a child and it was fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When I was learning to swim at swimming lessons, as a child, we learned to duck our heads under the surface and "blow bubbles". You're consciously exhaling, so you learn not to inhale while under water, and it's fun to blow bubbles and see the light catch them.

Also they tossed hockey pucks to the floor of the pool and we had to fetch them, I guess to get us more comfortable with the water.

I've been learning to swim recently and working on dealing with exactly the same phobia, and the above techniques are what my bf suggested to get me used to having my head under the water. They really did work for me.

Now I must learn to synchronise my head turns and arm strokes that I can breathe. Not easy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

jester77 wrote:
    My sister had the same problem. She had a very good instructor and after some investigating it was found that she didn't even put her face under the shower when she was showering, so they started there and worked up and she has now conquered her fear. Start small and take it one step at a time. Prolong your head under the shower, then try submerging in the batch, shallow end of the pool and keep working up!

That's bizarre - I just realised that I never put my face under the shower either - just the back of my head!

Guys thank you all for your suggestions. I'll give them all a go. I'm sick of being on holidays and not being able to take part in different activites because of this problem. I'm going back to Australia next year and I'm determined that I'll be able to swim by then (it may take that long!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

as the OP says, the problem is putting her head / face into the water. This is a big step in swimming. You cannot swim well / easily if you cannot put your head down. But do not fear. As with all things, there is a solution. You just have to find what works for you.

What I have done with my kids (and very sim to prev posters), is we stand at the side of the pool, and hold the bar / wall and duck straight down, then we blow bubbles at each other, or shout. Everyone wearing goggles is good idea. Having feet on ground and hand on something solid is very re-assuring. But the excersise here is just to get used to face in the water.

A prev suggestion also hold water (pun intended!) in my opinion. Hold onto side of pool and put face in water and blow out, then lift head to breathe in, and repeat.

I am sure these excersises are easier to suggest than to do! Afterall, the problem is putting face in water, and the solution is to put face in the water more often! So, I really feel for you, as I know this will be very hard for you to do. But......... try try again and you will succeed! Take small steps (shower, bath, etc. anythjing that give you more experience) and please please keep with it! Swimming is one of the best sports / hobbies / activities you can engage in. the benefits are proven and time honoured.

feel free to pm me anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭NedNew2

If you could visit the pool a couple of times a week on your own, stay at the wall and practice putting your face into the water. Start with face only and as you feel more comfortable with it, put more of your head in the water. If you feel water going up your noise then blow bubbles.

Of course this only gets you so far...

I'm a qualified swimming teacher and just like in school, college, uni or whatever its not how a good a swimming teacher is, its how they communicate with those learning. Many times I have heard swimming teachers giving obscure, incorrect or conflicting corrections. For example one correction I over heard once was 'stop splashing' !! Useless.

Often private swimming lessons can be of great benefit, if you like you can pm me about same.

Advertisement