Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland squad vs Holland

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Oh no, we are loosing a friendly to a team with 10x the tallent pool we have, sack stan!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

ahh its just painful to watch

Sure you hardly expected us to win a nothing friendly against Holland with 8 withdrawls?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

no but to compete ...
    they are starting to chase balls etc now ... mcuh better even if they go down a goal at least they are showing a little pace and conviction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

This is great , Hup Holland Hup. 3-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not going well eh?

England 4 0 Greece

;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

A great save from VDS, followed by a stunner from Robin Van Persie, 4-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Have we EVER lost 4 nil at home?? Dont think so :confused:
    Even thick mick didnt lead us into such an embarassing defeat.
    Fcuking USELESS performance, truly awful.Feel sorry for the poor knts that paid into the game tonight. At least they got to see some decent football tho ;)

Fuming here.

Sack stan "im the gaffer" (but know fcuk all) Staunton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Shocking absolutely shocking.
    Most of those Irish players look like they havent played football in about 6 months ,their touch is diabolical.
    If I picked up 11 fit guys off the street they would do better than that Irish team.
    Will have to look up the history books to find the last time Ireland were beaten by 3 or more goals.

Whos the lad Alan O'Brien? Not bad considering all his mates are pure shoite tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Worst home defeat in 40 years. At least we are consistent, rubbish against Chile, and even worse tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭KeithMur

Worst match for Ireland i've seen. One or two good things. McGeady, Alan O'Brien, Doyle and even Douglas and Miller did an awful lot better than original midfield pair.

Sizzler wrote:
    Have we EVER lost 4 nil at home?? Dont think so :confused:
    Even thick mick didnt lead us into such an embarassing defeat.
    Fcuking USELESS performance, truly awful.Feel sorry for the poor knts that paid into the game tonight. At least they got to see some decent football tho ;)

Fuming here.

It's a f*cking friendly with 8 first choice squad members missing and 3 first team players missing, what did you expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Sizzler wrote:

Sack stan ? tell me, what the hell could stan have possibly done to win this game ?

Absolutely nothing, 8 of our best players all withdraw and we were playing against a very strong dutch team. 4-0 tbh, is a bit of an achievement as really they could have won by so much more. Wait till the qualifiers when stan wont have people withdrawen from "mysterious injuries" and other such things

Sizzler wrote:
    Whos the lad Alan O'Brien? Not bad considering all his mates are pure shoite tonight.

plays for newcasle, looks handy.

Seaneh wrote:
    It's a f*cking friendly with 8 first choice squad members missing and 3 first team players missing, what did you expect?

A half decent performance from us, we were sh1te from start to finish except for 2 min flashes here and there and they were sparse.

Would have expected maybe a 3-1 to Dutch.

Dutch werent playing first team either chief :eek:

Seaneh wrote:
    plays for newcasle, looks handy.

Looks very handy. get him in for the next game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I know Ill get savaged for this, BUT, Staunton has been involved in the game for long enough to know that there would be many pull outs from this squad, as players wont want to be getting injured for the start of the league season etc. So why didn't he pick a few eircom League players, namely Jason Byrne and Joe Gamble?

Lets be honest, tonight was only a friendly. If he played the 2 of those, at worst they would have gotten some experience, and I dare say Byrne would have done a far better job than Clinton The Leprechaun, and Gamble would have been a better option than Kavanagh. They would have been more enthusiastic at least.

Never heard of thios O Brien fella. looked alright. How old is he?

McGeady isn't up to international football yet, but this was a good lesson for him tonight. Hopefully he can improve from here.

Elliot and Doyle looked very good up front.

Felt Sorry for Paddy Kenny. He is a decent keeper, only to be made a fool of tonight on his first start (or am I wrong there?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Absolutely nothing, 8 of our best players all withdraw and we were playing against a very strong dutch team. 4-0 tbh, is a bit of an achievement as really they could have won by so much more. Wait till the qualifiers when stan wont have people withdrawen from "mysterious injuries" and other such things

We were not missing 8 'of our best players'. Of the 11 that started tonight 7 of them could have expected to start against Germany. I normally don't pay much heed to friendlies but this is not a good result no matter how you look at it. And the Dutch team was also understrength yet they were toying with us at times. I'd be worried about the Germany game, it's essential that we have all the first 11 fit as we've no real strength in depth.

• Advertisement

Sack stan ? tell me, what the hell could stan have possibly done to win this game ?

As Paul Daniels would say "not a lot"...see previous comment...the reason he could do nothing is cos he knows nothing! We beat a crap swedish team 3 nil and half of that was down to the adrenalin of a new mgr in the camp, we'll be waiting a damn long time to see anything like that again under Stan.

Lets be honest, he was a bad choice and I fully expect us to underachieve again in this next qualifying campaign :( FAI are muppets.

gimmick wrote:

Elliot and Doyle looked very good up front.

Elliot played a stormer ...for Holland...great assist for their 2nd ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Under achieve? Ireland are no world beaters and we have no real world class players anymore. FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

jank wrote:
    Under achieve? Ireland are no world beaters and we have no real world class players anymore. FACT!

People seem to forget that the Irish national team punched well above their weight for a number of years. The fact that the FAI prefer to farm players out to other countries in the hopes of them nurturing our talent is coming back to bite us now.

Irish football needs to be shaken up from grass roots level, and take a leaf or two out of the Swedish FAs book. If they dont, and prefer to plod along as we are right now, Irish football will die and we will be back to pre Eoin Hand days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

gimmick wrote:
    People seem to forget that the Irish national team punched well above their weight for a number of years. The fact that the FAI prefer to farm players out to other countries in the hopes of them nurturing our talent is coming back to bite us now.

Irish football needs to be shaken up from grass roots level, and take a leaf or two out of the Swedish FAs book. If they dont, and prefer to plod along as we are right now, Irish football will die and we will be back to pre Eoin Hand days.

I agree with that.

English football is being over ridden with "Forgien Imports" from Africa and else where. Irish players are finding it much harder to get a look in there.
    The irish league needs invesment NOW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just got back from the farce and the really worrying thing for me is the defence.

Only Dunne was missing there, would his inclusion turn it from 4-0 into a competitive match? I hope so.(Given was out as well but I can't blame Kenny for the goals)

I think the only way Staunton can go is to attack attack attack. He doesn't know enough about management or have a solid enough defence to play cagey tactical games. We are going to conceed a lot of goals in this qualifiers so we need to score more.

I think the fromation needs to be:

Keane/Doyle
    Duff/McGeedy and 2 from Reid/Kavanagh/Miller

Kilbane is not an productive attacking player so we can't use him on the wing any more. Harte MUST come in!!

As far as I can see this is the only way we have a hope. Even the Bellamy/Hartson combination seems really dangerous to Ireland now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

It's all Jason Byrne's fault. His non-presense in the squad was to blame for our defeat tonight and as you see from tonight, a shit player like him wouldn't be fit to lace the boots of any of the ''I couldn't give a fuckin toss about wearing the green shirt'' brigade...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

English football is being over ridden with "Forgien Imports" from Africa and else where. Irish players are finding it much harder to get a look in there.

Eh? The Irish are Foreign Imports.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

mike65 wrote:
    Eh? The Irish are Foreign Imports.

Mike.

Lol so true but often overlooked.....

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

If Stan was attacked by your man with the plastic uzi tonight, the headlines tomorrow would be "Imitation manager attacked with imitation firearm."

Stan will have his apologists but wtf. Where was the tactical masterplan?

Where was the leadership? Both on and off the field? I mean when was the last time you ever saw an Irish captain taken off the field at half time for playing badly?

Who organised the defence? Stan used to be a defender, so you'd think he'd be able to tell the defenders who to mark?

Only straws to clutch at tonight were McGeady, Doyle and Douglas's cameo.

This doesn't bode well. I'll look back at this after the first three matches and see where we are (looking up the table if this performance is anything to go by).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

did anyone see the aftermatch interview?
    Staunton is talking through his arse, he did not admit that we played ****e.
    Fcukin muppet.

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote:
    A half decent performance from us, we were sh1te from start to finish except for 2 min flashes here and there and they were sparse.

Would have expected maybe a 3-1 to Dutch.

Dutch werent playing first team either chief :eek:

dutch starting 11 for the game was
    Van der Sar, Heitinga, Ooijer, Mathijsen, De Cler, Landzaat, Van der Vaart, Schaars, Van Persie, Huntelaar, Robben.

Lets break it down!

Van Der Sar (starter) - World Class Goal Keeper, would be in the Squad atleast for any country!

Jonny Heitinga(starter) - Very good right and Centre back, 21 years old, great reader of the game, will be world class in the next few years, would be in our first team as an automatic choice if he was irish!

Ooijer (starter)- Very very good defender, equally as good right back as centre back, good in the air, good in the ground reads the game well, would be starting for a lot of teams!

Danny Mathijsen(starter) - Great left funn, very solid centre back, would make a squad player atlkeast for any premiershiup team.

De Clar (starter)- Never rated him much but in the last two years he has been insanely consistant in the dutch league, very good right full!

Danny Landzaat (maybe a starter)- Fantastic centre midfeilder! would start for most premiership teams and will be a starter for the dutch from now on!

Van der Vaart(will play a LOT) - amazing visionl, bit slow but his control and brain make up for that, passing rage matches almost anyone in the world, on he day he is world class and he is still young!

Schaars (**** knows)- streight up, no clue who he is!

Van Persie(will play a LOT) - going to be wrold class, will be in the dutch squad for the next ten years and will start a fair bit.

Robben (first name on team sheet)- World class and nobody with half a brain can say other wise.

Jan Klaus Huntelaar (starter) - He will be thier new first choice striker, he is world class, he will probably break scoring records and he is a goal machine.

All in all they hardly played thier B team, did they?

Fcukin muppet.

Because no manager should ever say his players have played ****e in a friendly that ment nothing, espically when there was that many changes, a few players under 21 playing and so many squad players missing, he will give them a bollocking in private, whats the point of demoralising them in public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well we wont beat the Germans, might get a draw at home. Beating the czech's away is also going to be hard. Will beat Wales at home,away and the the rest we will win.
    Still though i will be extremely happy if we scrape second. First is already out of the question if we couldnt do it in the last qualifying group, what makes you think we can do it with an even tougher one and no real new stars ?
    Sad but true...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

i wish that uzi had been real. he's some gob****e that stan.

mark fanny's words: he'll lead the republic to below northern ireland in world standings. we're doomed i tell's ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

gimmick wrote:
    So why didn't he pick a few eircom League players, namely Jason Byrne and Joe Gamble?

Been over this in three threads now, Byrne was picked but refused the call-up due to injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

i wish that uzi had been real. he's some gob****e that stan.

how very insightful.

we got absolutely mauled by a far superior dutch team who deserved it totally. pointless match? yup. senior important figures missing, terrible time of year,general lack of irish depth anyway = 4 - 0. however in the long term this means nothing and it was never going to make or break stauntons reign. we can qualify, it's always going to be tough, but its very possible.i'm more worried by the general lack of organisation then by losing, but we'll see i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

No shame to lose to a better team like Holland but the performance itself was pathetic.

Anyway, here's to Irelands biggest loss for 24 years (and biggest home loss for 40 years). Also I wouldn't just write this match off as "sure it was Ireland reserves, what ya expect?" The team look like they were sent out there without a plan or without orders to at least get the basics right. Many out there were just plain were gutless, lethargic, disinterested and headless.

It also concerns me to see the number of "injuries" in the lead up to the match and the fact that most of them seemed to be our star players (Duff, Given, Keane, Dunne). If I was cyncial (which of course I'm not) I'd have guessed the guys who knew they were definite starters for Stuttgart just couldn't be bothered turning up (many who were there didn't seem to 'be there' either on the night). Not a healthy vibe eminating from the squad imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Seaneh wrote:
    Because no manager should ever say his players have played ****e in a friendly that ment nothing, espically when there was that many changes, a few players under 21 playing and so many squad players missing, he will give them a bollocking in private, whats the point of demoralising them in public?

Well to be honest i think he should at least say 'we werent good enough', he didnt even say that. It seemed like he failed to realise that we have a major problem on our hand here. He was avoiding every question left right and centre.

This doesnt look good if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Pigman II wrote:
    Also I wouldn't just write this match off as "sure it was Ireland reserves, what ya expect?" The team look like they were sent out there without a plan or without orders to at least get the basics right.
    Agreed. Yes it was a very good Holland side, yes we had many withdrawals, but the performance was still awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

admittedly i didn't see the live match, but highlights displayed the tactical ineptness that was accentuated by the scoreline.

i've never been too keen on stans apointment. i always though of it as merely getting in a reconisable face form the halcyon (arguable?) days of irish football. this preformance, and i mean stans tatical choices, really did nothing to allay the scruples i have about his suitability. i don't mean to be negative, but i fear for the game against germany and, in the wider sense, our qualification prospects.

"uzi 9mm"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Way to go with all the Chicken Licken impressions. :rolleyes:

It was a friendly just before the start of the new season.

Also, you have to remember that out of the players that were in the squad tonight how many players would've been warned by their club managers that they better report back to club duties fit? A sad truth, but that's the modern game.

Manager's live and die by the results of their competitive matches, ask Messrs Kerr and McCarthy. I'm not gonna get too worked up over the result in much the same way that I didn't get too worked up over the Sweden result. I'll wait until we've played a few competitive games before I judge Stan.

With regards to our Qualifying Group other Friendlies tonight saw the Czechs get beaten 1-3 by S&M at home, the Germans won 3- 0 at home against Sweden and Wales fail to get better than a 0-0 at home against Bulgaria. So it just shows that you can't really read too much into Friendly games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

RasTa wrote:
    Well we wont beat the Germans, might get a draw at home. Beating the czech's away is also going to be hard. Will beat Wales at home,away and the the rest we will win.

I wouldnt be confident of this Irish team beating any half decent team away from home.
    Slovakia and Wales will be very tough away assignments.
    As for Germany and the Czech Republic the last time Ireland beat a high ranking team away from home was nearly 20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I wouldnt be confident of this Irish team beating any half decent team away from home.
    Slovakia and Wales will be very tough away assignments.
    As for Germany and the Czech Republic the last time Ireland beat a high ranking team away from home was nearly 20 years ago.
    I wouldn't worry about that. The last time Ireland were beaten by such a high margin was 24 years ago and it was the biggest home loss in 40 years.....so already after 3 non competitive matches Stan is breaking records left right and centre....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

BaZmO* wrote:

Also, you have to remember that out of the players that were in the squad tonight how many players would've been warned by their club managers that they better report back to club duties fit? A sad truth, but that's the modern game.
    Presumably then the Dutch players managers would have said the same thing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I stopped readin the replies here in this thread when I copped on that England lsot 5-0 to Denmark not so long ago. If Ireland got as far as them in te WC or EC, we'd all be still passed out drunk by now.

the team tonight was not a valid reflection on our proper team, regardless of how much fannyin u recall about stats and crap.

in reality, we have no basis of judgement of the current regeim (how the f**k do u spell that?).

give him the one competitive match, then see. though look, would you ever say to a manager "you have 1 game to prove yourslef!"? dont think so. fact is, we havent properly started any sorta league/qualifiers/anything. we've just done friendlies which any cabbage postin on here knows, can suffer from "injuries" and the like. even the players can be like "ah sure its only a friendly, couldnt be arsed, plus i cant get injured for me payheck club". give it a ****in proper meaningful match before u have a feckin whinge, alright?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I haven't even bothered to look through the thread, but I guess there's all sorts of arguments regarding tonights match.

What I'd like to say is that we better get used to these hidings, because it will be a regular occurence.

As long as our 'potentially good' young players are being farmed out to English clubs, then the situation isn't going to improve.

'Ingerland' has been shown up excactly for what it's worth in recent major international competitions ... players are of a poor technical ability compared to European counterparts.

Why oh Why don't our best young players go to Holland, Italy, Spain etc.... and learn their trade, learn some tactics, learn how to eat properly, train properly, take penalties !!....instead of joining the farce that is English Football, and English coaching.

That young Holland teamed 'pissed' on that young Irish team there tonight .... why?

Fcukin muppet.

Only caught a bit of it but he said something about Van Der Sar being their "13th man" ?! What the fcuk are you on about?! Its not as if we rained in shots on goal, in fact the only save I can remember him making was that O'Brien header.

Hes totally out of his depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Sizzler wrote:
    Only caught a bit of it but he said something about Van Der Sar being their "13th man" ?! What the fcuk are you on about?!

No he's right. Elliot and Morrison were their 11th and 12th men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Alot of people who call for Stans head already, probably called for Kerr's head and McCarthy's before him. There are several problems with Irish football as I see it, but the main one is we are still comparing ourselves to the team jack built and the fact that we did so well back in the late 80's early 90's.

Now we have turned into a "premiership team" where 2/3 losses and the manager is gone, if you compare teams of say 88 to now, its not even comparable, McGrath vs Andy O'Brien, Whelan vs McGeedy, John Aldridge vs Kevin Doyle (Maybe doyler can sing :confused: )

Having said all that even if I pulled on a green jersey I would show more enthusiasm for the match then some of them lads out there last night, there was no chasing, closing down, passion but most all there was no organisation of the back 4, I wouldn't be surprised if Stan was tempted to pull on a pair of boots himself at half time last night.

On thing I was pleased with last night and some people disagree with me on this is....how animated and passionate Stan was on the touch line, we weren't happy with what was going on but nor was he.....I have managed teams and I always try to make sure teams now where they are going wrong and when I am not happy, what really annoys me is a manager sitting on his backside in the posh seat while his team get annihilated.

There will be those who will disagree and that's fine, just my opinion, no 2 managers think the same.

• Advertisement

dbnavan wrote:

On thing I was pleased with last night and some people disagree with me on this is....how animated and passionate Stan was on the touch line, we weren't happy with what was going on but nor was he.....I have managed teams and I always try to make sure teams now where they are going wrong and when I am not happy, what really annoys me is a manager sitting on his backside in the posh seat while his team get annihilated.

Look at the passion ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement