Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaky Porch

Options
  • 22-08-2006 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any advice to help with a leaky porch? Basically rain is somehow seeping from the porch, coming through the other side of the door and running down the inside of the door. This rarely happens, only with very heavy rain but clearly there's a problem.

Its a typical Dublin Corporation concrete porch in Kilbarrack, typical style of terraced house built in the early 70's. The thin flat porch is supported by two metal poles on either side. There's supposed to be flashing in place but clearly it isn't working. There's no visible cracks on the porch or the wall.

I'm wondering has anyone come across this before, can a Ronseal sealant do the job, or is it time to do a more expensive flashing repair. The attached picture is a typical example of this type of porch. Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Is there a groove under the concrete roof about 50 mm (2") back from the front ?

The groove acts as a drip detail stopping the water running back under the concrete to the door, it's a fairly common problem on houses where people have kept the roof and used glazing on the sides and a new door near the the front.

If it was a flashing problem it would leak more often and you would be able to see cracks in the roof or main wall, that type didn't have a seperate flashing detail the roof was poured during construction and cantilevered out from the main wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Thanks for the tip. After getting soaked a good few times out in the front garden trying to get to the bottom of it, I think I have most of the problem sorted now.
    Basically, the gutters were completely clogged and water was running out of them, down the wall and onto the porch. From there it was leaking through somehow. With some help from my family I cleaned out the gutters and made sure the rain was getting down into the drains. Seems to have fixed it. Will apply som Ronseal as weel just to be sure.

Advertisement