Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap & Tasty Non-alcoholic options?

• 22-08-2006 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭

I'm temporarily joining the ranks of the teetotal and I'm finding it difficult to find something to drink when I'm out at a pub that isn't a) booooring, b) expensive, or c) both.

I don't want to drink coke or anything else containing loads of caffeine.

So far I've stuck with orange juice, or an apple juice spritzer (apple juice and sparkling mineral water)

I'm sure I'm not the ONLY person in the whole of Ireland that doesn't drink, so can anyone suggest anything else I can try?

I never realised before (never cared maybe LOL), how little selection there is in pubs, for people who don't drink.:(

Thanks in advance.

(This might belong more in the Beer/Wine/Spirits section, but as it's not actually about alcohol I didn't think so. If a mod wants to move it, feel free)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

My girlfriend was driving on a night out and she said that she had a few bottles of a non alcholic beer and said it was very drinkable (will find the name), there is also in some places nonalcholic cocktails which I believe are very nice (and shouldnt be too expensive).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Non-alcoholic Becks is useful for getting people off your back if you're drinking in an Irish pub and are coming under pressure to drink - nobody tends to peer closely enough at the label to see the red 'no alcohol' writing.

Other options:
    Soda water and lime.
    Cranberry and soda.
    Mud (coca cola and orange juice mixed).
    Virgin Mary (a bloody mary without the vodka, so a tomato juice with worcester, tabasco, pepper n salt).
    Plain tomato juice.
    Pineapple juice and soda.
    Any range of diet soft drinks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Pineapple and rasa is my usual when im drivin, or a pint of tanora, or cidona.

coconut syrup and pineapple juice is a nice alternative to pineapple and malibu.

when you go some place that normally serves cocktails you can get non-alco ones, or use the syrups and juices to make something similar to your fav short and mixr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

...if you're drinking in an Irish pub and are coming under pressure to drink

Do people still do that to non-drinkers? How backward! :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is a non alcoholic erdinger too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Moonbeam wrote:

Lovely stuff, bought it by mistake once, had to guard the label with my life in case anybody saw it, would've faced a night of ridicule!

It is disgraceful the selection of all drinks in pubs, I wouldnt mind the crazy prices if what I was getting was decent. All the juices are substandard crap, no freshly squeezed or even tetra packed pressed (not from concentrate) juices in any pubs I have seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Geordie_Girl

Thanks Guys

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Some cocktail bars will make you a fresh fruit smoothie if you play your cards right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I think cocktail bars are the least of your worries when you're having a teetotal night in Ireland. Since splash guns still haven't arrived en masse you seem to end up spending more on a soft drink than on beer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I think cocktail bars are the least of your worries when you're having a teetotal night in Ireland. Since splash guns still haven't arrived en masse you seem to end up spending more on a soft drink than on beer...

Yep that's the truth. There is never pressure on the OP to drink when we go out from anyone, we wouldn't go out drinking with that type of person to be honest (she's my fiancee). The main problem is that all the drinks are ridiculously priced, I shudder to think what a cocktail bar would charge for a smoothie, even if they could be persuaded to make it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

Had this myself it is very nice in a pint glass with ice and nobody will bother about drinking.
    The only place I've seen it though is the Bank Bar on Dame Street.

Advertisement