Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cartron area/Rathbraughan Park - rough?

Options
  • 22-08-2006 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Evening, currently lookin into rental accom. for next college year. Wondering if the above places are dodge?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I'm just startin in Sligo IT this year and i was looking for accomodation. My sister who had already studyed in Sligo specificaly said to avoid those 2 places. I'm not sure why. One reason was that they were too far from the town even though they were close to the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

students have been going to Cartron for years without much problems , If i was to pick a place to live i suppose Glencarraig would be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

gustavo wrote:
    students have been going to Cartron for years without much problems , If i was to pick a place to live i suppose Glencarraig would be ideal

Gelancarraig would be ideal. I refuse to pay Yeats village again, they are XXXXXXXXX

Edit by muffler: Tut tut JohnCleary. You're around long enough now to know that you cant say things like that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Of the 2 cartron would probably be better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Yeah I'm frm Sligo and know people who live/rent in Rathbraughan and I know some of the people living there are very dodgy indeed, stay away!

Can't say I know much about Cartron life though - I don't think it's that bad, a lot of families etc living there.....I wouldn't live there myself if I was paid though! (not a snob - I've just ALWAYS disliked the general area for some reason....)

Gencarraig is nice alright......if I was student though I'd probably try to get a place in town, but then, I drive...

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote:
    Gelancarraig would be ideal. I refuse to pay Yeats village again, they are XXXXXXXXX

Edit by muffler: Tut tut JohnCleary. You're around long enough now to know that you cant say things like that

OK, well ill tell you of my experience then! They took about 1/3 of my deposit, when I phoned AND wrote to them they would not state why I only got back 2/3 of my deposit

So basicly 100eur vanished into thin air without explanation :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Not a nice thing to happen JC and if I were you I wouldn't let it rest until I got the balance of the deposit refunded. Dont get me wrong here but would there have been any cause for them to have witheld the money?

In any event I wish you luck with it.

Im not trying to stifle fair comment here but in light of recent events we have to be very very careful as to what is acceptable in a post

muffler wrote:
    Not a nice thing to happen JC and if I were you I wouldn't let it rest until I got the balance of the deposit refunded. Dont get me wrong here but would there have been any cause for them to have witheld the money?

In any event I wish you luck with it.

Im not trying to stifle fair comment here but in light of recent events we have to be very very careful as to what is acceptable in a post

Basicly...
    I was in apartment A before Christmas. After christmas I was moved to apartment B (Not my choice I was happy with where I was)

When I arrived in apartment B the place was a kip. Stuff missing, stains on the walls, burns in the carpet etc. I wrote a written letter to Yeats stating that I would not accept liability for this when it came to getting my deposit refunded, and got it stamped by the Students Union

I was told that this 'would not be a problem' and that my deposit would not be affected by apartment B as the damage was caused before I moved in

Yeah right :rolleyes: It's not the 100eur that bothers me, its the fact that the management were to sly as to take my money after saying they wouldn't. I still have a copy of the letter somewhere! It's the morals of it that kick me in the stones. If I weren't to busy i'd persue it but meh... maybe another time

BTW I have a car so I don't mind living a bit away from the IT (Might be a good thing)

I'm looking at a few nice places in the town. The only thing that worries me is the traffic in the mornings! I think this year ill put up with the traffic/lack of parking for the sake of a nice, comfortable house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

There's loads of new houses on the Calry road past Mulberry Park. You'd avoid all traffic up there. Not sure if they're renting to students, but it'd be worth a try. If I were you, I'd avoid going across town. It's just not worth being stuck in traffic for half an hour every morning and evening. The bridge is an absolute misery and the middle of town is almost a no go area. Cartron isn't as bad as all that. I wouldn't live there, but I'm picky :D I think Rathbraughan has gone downhill. I passed it a few days ago and it's not as nice as it was a few years ago.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that gatto, its a pitty because ive spotted a really nice house on the other side of the town :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Resistance

My car was stolen in Cartron about 3 years ago...

Advertisement