Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Substitute Presenters

• 22-08-2006 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

They really have to do better.

Moncrieff on holidays again and they have Theresa Lowe. Flat presentation, humourless and boring, boring boring. I don't want to know about her family, or the way she used to cycle to get to UCD, or about how much her marriage cost. Her soporific presenting style will do for the nightshift, but for Gods sake get someone decent to replace Moncrieff!

Hook on holidays and who do they have? Brenda Power. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel. I tuned into newstalk to get away from the likes of her. mad: Newstalk gave us some new voices when they started. Now they are recycling the same old crap ex RTE presenters.

I hope they up their game before they go national, otherwise they are going to lose listeners in Dublin and are not going to hold onto new listeners who will tune in just out of curiousity.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

They really have to do better.

Moncrieff on holidays again and they have Theresa Lowe. Flat presentation, humourless and boring, boring boring. I don't want to know about her family, or the way she used to cycle to get to UCD, or about how much her marriage cost. Her soporific presenting style will do for the nightshift, but for Gods sake get someone decent to replace Moncrieff!

Hook on holidays and who do they have? Brenda Power. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel. I tuned into newstalk to get away from the likes of her. mad: Newstalk gave us some new voices when they started. Now they are recycling the same old crap ex RTE presenters.

I hope they up their game before they go national, otherwise they are going to lose listeners in Dublin and are not going to hold onto new listeners who will tune in just out of curiousity.
    I totally agree. They had some clueless bint, something Kennedy, interview Gay Mitchell and Angus O'Snodaigh a couple of days ago and I was nearly kicking the radio out of the dashboard at her total inability to conduct an interview. Totally in love with her own voice and not taking on board the points being debated.

It will be interesting to see how Newstalk survive when they go nationwide. Personally I think it will be too much of a stretch and they'll lose their audience. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

But if they start adopting RTE's corporate strategy of going into hibernation during the summer, they'll be totally screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Sorry if I am going a little off topic ..but... appropo Teresa Lowe...If you want lifeless presentation listen to Aoife Kavanagh on Morning Ireland..

There was an interview with Gay Mitchell mentioned... I presume about his Ml Davitt speech....Tubridy interviewed him On RTE this morning(Thur) and made a total B****x of the interview... hadn't a clue what it was about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Workin' in Dublin myself at the moment....and I've been partaking in Newstalk at certain times of the day the last week or so....unfortunately I find myself switching over a lot when whoever she is that's on between 9 and 11am is on and the same witn some other twittering female in the late afternoon....inane crap I didn't care about enough to listen to, and after all the good things I'd read about Newstalk here on this forum, I'm pretty disappointed with a good bit of what I've heard so far.
    Maybe I'm just catching it at a bad time of year....but not my cup of tea so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

I was surprised to hear Theresa Lowe on Newstalk today. I didn't think she was that bad, tbh - although probably not best suited to the Moncrief show. David Norris was much better, I thought. When they go national, they really should find room from him. And maybe people like Kevin Myres and Brendan O'Connor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭portach king

David Norris? Really? Don't you find that he's far too opinionated to give any kind of editorial credibility in radio presenting? I mean, he's a great character and always lively but he should be kept away from the breakfast show anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

David Norris? Really? Don't you find that he's far too opinionated to give any kind of editorial credibility in radio presenting? I mean, he's a great character and always lively but he should be kept away from the breakfast show anyway.
    I agree. David is like three big, squashy fresh Superquinn Chocolate Eclairs when all you want is a single Chocolate Digestive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

i have found myself doing the same thing throughout the summer, switching back to the Ipod. The subs were a bit bland and boring alright. They should have used this time to find some stars for the launch into national airwaves. It stinks of ("previous national broadcast experience required") and not their usual ("sure give it a go and we'll see how you get on"). They are really draggin their heals on replacing Dunphy. A character is definetly required first thing. Eamo's figures might not have been what they were expecting but he prsence was enough for me to switch him on in the morning. He had no agenda. For me they need someone who can relate to the younger generation ( and i mean under 35's) someone like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Shows the complete lack of talent out there when a very average show hosted by an average presenter is so difficult to fill...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

When gerry o'sullivan filled in for moncrief i thought he was good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

When gerry o'sullivan filled in for moncrief i thought he was good!

I can't stand they way he talks. His accent does my nut in. After every line, it's like he's slurping back in the spit that has been dribbling out during the sentence!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

I can't stand they way he talks. His accent does my nut in. After every line, it's like he's slurping back in the spit that has been dribbling out during the sentence!
    Yeah he has braces at present. Must be getting them off soon cos he has sounded like that since he started on the station!

Just listening to replay of the morning show and that louise williams one does my head in, she constantly interrupts and her interview style isnt appealing, she sounds in love with her own voice as somone said earlier. No wonder she was let go by bbc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Teresa Lowe, as in the one that used to host that cheap ass game show on RTE "where in the world?"....crikey I can only imagine the "quality" of that show :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

bbability wrote:
    He had no agenda.

Dunphy may have been entertaining, but to say he had no agenda is to ignore almost every word he said on his morning show.

The stand in presenters can be interesting, but they seem to go on, and on, and on. It's fine when it's just one person missing for a day or two, but when the whole station goes on holidays for weeks on end it's a bit of a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

All I know is they HAVE to get rid of Ger Gilroy. I don't listen to them anymore because of that amateur, have switched back to Morning Ireland but I can't take much more of their pro-Government line.

Advertisement