Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great metal albums that time forgot

• 22-08-2006 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭

A housemate of mine was listening to Cypress Hill's "Skull and Bones" at the weekend there, and it got me thinking - how many of the younger metal generation have heard this album? It's damn good for sure but I'd be surprised if more than a small minority of people who I know listen to metal have ever even heard it, let alone ever rated it highly. While the Metallicas, Rage Against The Machines and Black Sabbath, some of the better "pretenders to the throne" have fallen by the wayside, despite the quality of their output.

I'm sure people will debate that these albums have been forgotten, but heres a couple of the albums I've listened to of late that I think few listen to these days:
    • Cypress Hill - Skull and Bones
    • Tiamat - Wildhoney
    • Uriah Heep - The Magician's Birthday
    • Queensrÿche - Operation Mindcrime (maybe this one's stretching it)

What do you listen to that you think few people hear these days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Pardon my ignorance but I thought Cypress Hill were a hip hop group? confused:
    As for Operation Mindcrime, I doubt very much that its been forgotten as it appears in nearly every "Greatest..." compliation I've ever seen/read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

That's true - but even still many people never seem to have actually encountered them - like I said, maybe Operation Mindcrime is stretching it. However, another mention that could go in there are the Screaming Trees - you rarely hear any of their stuff any more.

Cypress Hill is mostly hiphop, but take a listen to Skull and Bones and you'll find it's metal for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Skull and bones second disc is savage. Sen Dog from CH has a metal band too. they are pretty good too. done some music for some TV shows etc before so you have probably heard em. they are called SX10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Coronor - Mental Vortex
    Mindfunk - Dropped
    Watchtower - Control And Resistance
    Acid Reign - Obnoxious
    Badlands - Voodoo Highway
    D.A.M. - Human Wreckage
    Fight - War Of Words
    Flotsam & Jetsam - Doo***ay For The Deceiver
    The Obsessed - The Church Within
    Sabbat - Dreamweaver
    Trouble - Trouble
    Voivod - Nothingface
    Xentrix - Shattered Existence

Get them into you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

I only listened to that second disc a few weeks back and I still love it especially the guitar riff intro for the second track and the drumbeat after it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Doctor J wrote:
    Coronor - Mental Vortex
    Mindfunk - Dropped
    Watchtower - Control And Resistance
    Acid Reign - Obnoxious
    Badlands - Voodoo Highway
    D.A.M. - Human Wreckage
    Fight - War Of Words
    Flotsam & Jetsam - Doo***ay For The Deceiver
    The Obsessed - The Church Within
    Sabbat - Dreamweaver
    Trouble - Trouble
    Voivod - Nothingface
    Xentrix - Shattered Existence

Get them into you :D

Good stuff there, have to dig out Shattered Existence havent heard that in years.

To add more to the list:

Sacred Reich- American Way
    Exodus- Bonded by Blood
    Testament- The Legeacy
    Metal Church- Metal Church
    Mercyful Fate- Melissa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Cynic - Focus.

Not the most underlistened album of all time, but certainly not listened to nearly enough. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Lard - Pure Chewing satisfaction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

Doctor J wrote:
    Acid Reign - Obnoxious
    I'm a big Acid Reign fan, but I think that's one album that time can forget! It's woeful. The rest of your list is spot on though. I was only listening to Watchtower yesterday afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

A bit of a mixed bag here.

Suicidal Tendencies - Lights, Camera,Revolution.
    Days of the New - Days of the New
    Corrosion of Conformity - Blind
    Love/ hate - Blackout in the Red Room
    Warrior Soul - Last Decade, Dead Century

That Warrior Soul album was class................off home shortly to seek that out

• Advertisement

I'm a big Acid Reign fan, but I think that's one album that time can forget! It's woeful. The rest of your list is spot on though. I was only listening to Watchtower yesterday afternoon.

Wha? That was their finest hour by a long way, they finally made a classic and put it in the worst cover ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

I'd have to disagree entirely! The Fear was their only decent LP.

I'm liking this thread already - I have actually completely forgotten about Mercyful Fate's Melissa, good album :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

corrosion of conformity - pretty much everything.
    dont believe me?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glYFELzME9o
    savage riff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Dokken - Under Lock And Key
    Accept - Restless And Wild
    Y&T - Black Tiger
    Faith No More - The Real Thing
    Raven - All For One
    Mindfunk - Mindfunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gillan - Mr Universe
    Rainbow - Rising
    Cheap Trick - Any early stuff!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

KISS - Creatures of the night (1982) is a classic in its own right but not well known among the youngsters.

corrosion of conformity - pretty much everything.
    Albums that time forgot, not just bands you think are good. COC are far from forgotten.

Death - Spitirual Healing
    Sanctuary - Refuge Denied
    Overkill - The Years Of Decay
    Kreator - Renewal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Spiritual Healing? Forgotten? Come come dear Doctor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Alien Boys Seeds of Decay

• Advertisement

Spiritual Healing? Forgotten? Come come dear Doctor!

In the grand scheme of things, yes. It is better than the minor footnote it has been allocated. Focus has hardly been forgotten either ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Pestilence - Consuming Impulse (1989)

...just saw this today
    FLOTSAM AND JETSAM's debut Doo***ay For The Deceiver, is being reissued as a Special Edition by Metal Blade Records on October 31st. Originally released in July, 1986, it was the band's only release to feature the soon-to-be legendary bassist Jason Newsted (VOIVOD) who replaced the late Cliff Burton in METALLICA. The original album was produced by Metal Blade CEO Brian Slagel and Flotsam And Jetsam. Aside from a remixed version of the original album, it will include the following bonus material:

Iron Tears demo: 'Iron Tears', 'I Live You Die'.
    Metal Shock" demo: 'Hammerhead', 'Evil Shiek', 'I Live You Die', 'The Beast Within'.

The DVD will include the following: The Early Years; High School Interview Take 1 - 1983-84; 'Iron Tears' - Live at Palace West, New Year's 1984; High School Interview Take 2 - 1983-84; 'Hammerhead' - Live in Jason's Apartment - 1985; 'She Took An Axe' - Live - 1985.

Live at Bootleggers 1985: 'Iron Tears', 'Fade To Black', 'Metal Shock', 'She Took An Axe', 'Children of the Night' (unreleased), 'The Executioner' (unreleased), 'Those Who Defy' (unreleased), 'On The Attack' (unreleased), 'I Live You Die', 'Hammerhead', 'The Beast Within'.

Seriously, aside from the whole Newsted association, this is a true classic Metal album, I can't speak highly enough of it. Definitely going to pick this up (even though I bought it on vinyl initially, then the tape and finally found the cd a couple of years back :p ) again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Millionaire

Venom - Black Metal

Venom - Welcome to Hell (very raw but a classic)

Thin Lizzy Johnny The Fox

Sabbat History of a Time to Come

AC/DC Flick of the Switch

Metallica Master of Puppets (this is the real metallica, they started to get boring after this... this is the album I think of when i think of Metallica)

Violence (bay area thrash band.. anyone got a free download..cannot find this anywhere, plus i live in thailand)

Mamma Boys (bogger irish culchie metal....yeah man!!!!!)

Circus of Power 1st + 2nd album....

Carnivore - Retalliation.... (pete steel type o old man) what an album... so politically incorrect its funny... and the 1 minute of vomiting at the start! LOL!

and for fun...

Faster Pussycat 1st album...ppppuuuuuussssssssyyyyy ccccaaatttt!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

This is a good thread, jogging for the memory! I'm newish to boards and don't think I've posted in this forum before... so I may be repeating a discussion already had here but hmmmmmm I'm not sure I'd classify a lot of this stuff as metal, some is more Rock, some is more Thrash (Xentrix forgot all about 'em!)... but I may be showing my age there and maybe these destinctions that we used to make when I was younger are dead and gone... anyway
    The Wildhearts - first album... was it Earth v's the Wildhearts? Some kickin tunes on that one...
    I have to disagree with a previous poster and say the the ultimate Metallica album has to be Ride the Lightning... for Creeping Death and For Whom the Bell Tolls alone.
    What was the name of that Bay area all Asian band, totally forgotten! Remember them having a few good uns.
    If something not really metal is allowed here (Screaming Trees for example) well Alice in Chains can't go without mention, Facelift was/still is fantasic... I remember importing it on cassette (:D !) from Tommy in Sound Cellar!
    Someone already mentioned Testament - The Legacy... great stuff.
    Looking forward to futher posts here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Millionaire

Death Angel was the Bay Area asian band. Filipino Americans they were.

Yeah Ride the Lightening rocks too!

Tommy in the sounder cellar! LOL!!! would try to sell you anything!
    one day he was harranging me to buy something, and i said if you have Thunder & Lightening by Lizzy I ll buy (knowing well that it was out of print in 1989, as I had been looking for it for years)... he disappears off, and 5 min later he shows up with it, special addition with live 12". 25 punt! deal done, sale mad! Gas man he was!

Xentrix... saw them in mcgongles... I got chucked out for stage diving!

AC/DC Flick of the Switch

Metallica Master of Puppets (this is the real metallica, they started to get boring after this... this is the album I think of when i think of Metallica)

Erm - I think neither of these albums qualify as forgotten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

OK here goes,
    Suicidal Tendencies: Join the army
    Pantera: Cowboys from hell
    Deicide: Legion
    Obituary: Slowly we rot
    Brutal Truth: Extreme conditions...
    Death: Leprosy
    Terrorizer: World downfall
    Slayer: South of heaven
    Machine Head: Burn my eyes
    DRI: Crossover
    Paradise Lost: Icon
    AC/DC: Dirty deeds...

Waddya think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Master of Puppets is the album most quoted when metal bands talk about their influences. The 20th anniversary was a major fuss in Metal magazines, so how you consider this forgotten is beyond me.

I'd have to say GnR's Use Your Illusion albums. Everyone always talks about AFD, but the only hardcore GnR fans seem to still listen to UYI these days. Critics usually ignore them altogether when discussing GnR's music. Coma, Estranged, Civil War, Don't Damn Me, Double Talkin Jive, amazing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Any Tesla album.

Advertisement