Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eve Offline 13 hour downtime = load of bollox

Options
  • 22-08-2006 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

/rant

So any other eve users totally pissed off that a 28 meg patch keeps the server down for 13 + hours or is it just me? Never mind the many sever crash's and lag issues lately. I mean how incompetent can you be to only discovery a "crital bug" in a patch you have been testing for over a month on the similar test server? and it happens every time a patch comes out ! its never up in a timely fashion and when it does come up its all but unusable >_< .

Got to give them credit though ccp are smart that they keep in touch with the community they remind me of egosoft banging out buggy games and patches but escaping most backlash because of the army of kiss ass forum user's that leap to their defensive

SORT IT OUT CCP !

/end rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Yes! :mad:

I need my eve fix! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Down for another hour total joke eve tribune is right :

"What is regression testing, you ask? Put into terms so simple even my editor can understand: regression testing is the process in which you apply a patch, and then look for things it broke that worked fine before. When you discover something broken, you figure out what broke it, correct it, and apply the next version of the patch, and double check it there, while still on internal servers. If all is well, then you release it for a public test. If, after all that, things still work, you then, and only then release it to the public usage server.

The problem with regression testing, at least for people like CCP and Blizzard, is that you have to pay your programmers to do it. This costs money, at least insofar as you’re already paying them to write stuff, and it delays new snippets of code, so they developed an ingenious method to do the testing- they’d do an initial alpha-test of the code, and if nothing appeared broken with their cursory glance, they’ll deploy the patch and let the players, who pay to play, test it for them and find all the bugs. What this means at its most basic level is that you are paying to beta-test their code for them. It’s a far cry from the days when game companies paid you to test their stuff. You did just read that properly, back in the day, we got paid to test a company’s stuff, either actual cash money, or a free copy of the product, or both."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

It won't be done until tomorrow morning at least. It was fairly obvious from any of the other patches they've done tbh, asides from the fact that this one changes alot of things with the databases.

Hope you set a long skill to train. Just wait for Kali :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Down until 00:00 GMT (Game Time) :mad:

This is insane I need my god damn fix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Apparently that Runecraft game is quite popular to tide you over :P

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Never tell an addict to try another drug.. especially when it doesnt really have as good and effect.. he might turn on you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

cry babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

WoW was down for about 14+ hours yesterday and some servers even down for as long as 18 hours...
    Come to think of it, I think some servers are even down until saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

This would be the point when you should take a seriously large step back and gain some perspective, bizmark.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

This small downtime wasnt so bad, I cant think of a single game that does not have a few hiccups during patching.

Its a damn sight better than it used to be, when I joined the game there had recently been a rollback ..... i.e. they set the game back to where it had been 1 month previously. All training, money earned, everything put back ..... also in some of the early patch days (notice days, not day) we got days credited to our accounts because it was down for so long.

Now I set at least 5 day skills training any patch day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Methinks the worst thing of the lot of it (didn't mind the downtime too much, had to go and do my RL things), is the utterly stupid queues for various things.

Moriarty wrote:
    This would be the point when you should take a seriously large step back and gain some perspective, bizmark.

:)

Screw that crap ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Bastards decided to do it when I started my 14 day trial.. Bloody addictive game!!

Advertisement