Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrianise High St.?

• 22-08-2006 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, anyone else think they should pedestrianise High st?
    I mean, why the hell do cars need to go up there anyway? It could be such a great asset to town if they did this instead of talking about it.
    I know they have to do the inner relief road (waterbarracks to the mart site) yet and maybe this is what is delaying the Council from cutting High st off to traffic.

It's such a great street apart from the traffic; definitely one of the best in any other provincial town/city in the country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

One word - TRADERS

I didn't live in Kilkenny at the time but people tell me there was a time when it was all one-way because of some event. Most people thought it was great but the traders kicked up. I agree that they should do something because of the traffic problems

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They should perhaps limit it on certain days and times for a start and see how it goes, don't see how it would really affect traders that much...with exception of Sherwoods for picks ups etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

There are some powerful traders on the Chamber of Commerce that don't want this to happen. I can't understand it though - they should look at Shop St in Galway to see how making a main street a pedestrian street can really pay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

finlma wrote:
    ...they should look at Shop St in Galway to see how making a main street a pedestrian street can really pay off.

Hear, hear, but they don't even have to go that far. The difference to Waterford of having Broad and Barronstrand Streets pedestrianised is obvious.

These used to be part of a regional route (R-something) and there were predictions that traffic chaos would ensue (and the sky would fall down, etc, etc.) if the plans went through.

I'm not too familiar with Kilkenny, but it seems to me as an outsider that it's somewhere that should have done this long ago, considering how it sells itself on its medieval charms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It will be interesting to see how things change once the shopping centres on the edge of town are up and running and the ring road is finally finished (look - a flying pig).

• Advertisement
Advertisement