Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete bathroom makeover price

• 22-08-2006 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I have bought new bathroom suite, tiles, adhesive, grout etc all materials supplied for a 6ft x 7.5ft bathroom.
    I got one quote for 4k, incl VAT, from plumber/tiler combo to do all labour (strip tiles paper etc) replumb new suite, tile floor and walls floor to ceiling estimate 23 sq yards, refix power shower, shower screen, take all rubbish away.

Is this realistic or off the wall ? I'm not doing it myself, no time, so this suits me in one way as it's an all in one job. I have done some tiling before but want a professional job seeing as I spent good money on the suite and tiles. Seems pricey though. Any advice ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I am a complete diyer and did something similar to my own bathroom.

stripped walls to blocks/partition, new plasterboard, new suite, floor and wall tiles,new shower etc.

It took 3 long days to complete.
    If I got 4K to do that -- :D:D

there will be the usual trades,vat,insuance, etc etc -- but its 4K.

just my pennies worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

4k is way over priced, i have just finished doing my own bathroom, similiar size. granted it took the best part of a week, and i was without the shower for 4 days, but 4 grand, thats mad. I learned to plumb and tile and its easy once you have have mastered the basics. the money aside, there is a great sense of satisfaction in seeing the finished job.

if you are not going to do it yourself get other quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭casey jones

I am getting a few more quotes and hope to peg back that figure. As I say I have done some tiling but it's not as good as tiling I've had done by a professional. There is a convincing argument in my view that spending 3k on tiles/suite etc and then doing an amateur job is a false economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Little Bubbles

How much is it now a days to do up a standard bathroom. New suite and tiles?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tell your plumber/tiler that a polish/lithunian plumber and tiler will do it for 2000 euro.

then see what he says.

4 k is way too much.

P.S- I can recommend a brilliant Lithunian builder,carpenter and tiler,all who are based in Celbridge,but will travel for work

They did an absolutely amazing job in my house and were so cheap that I had to ask them 3 times if they had given me the right price.

Some Irish builders still think we are in the Celtic Tiger era.:rolleyes::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

paddy147 wrote: »
    Tell your plumber/tiler that a polish/lithunian plumber and tiler will do it for 2000 euro.

then see what he says.

4 k is way too much.

P.S- I can recommend a brilliant Lithunian builder,carpenter and tiler,all who are based in Celbridge,but will travel for work

They did an absolutely amazing job in my house and were so cheap that I had to ask them 3 times if they had given me the right price.

Some Irish builders still think we are in the Celtic Tiger era.:rolleyes::mad:

It was 4 years ago paddy !! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

oleras wrote: »
    It was 4 years ago paddy !! ;)

Oh right..........................D,OH.:D

Advertisement