Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to record to DVD recorder by high speed sync with pc??

Options
  • 22-08-2006 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

I've loads of mpegs ,divx avi files that I want to get onto disc.
    I've not got the time for encoding it all ,theres about 30 hours real time of documentaries and stuff I can't get anywhere.
    Is there anyway of playing at high speed and recording at high speed and avoiding the whole encoding scenario ????
    All the programs are about 45 minutes ,I want to get it done but if theres any other way ,the bus speed of my machine is miserable takes for ever to encode.

My dvd recorder has firewire ,but it will take me forever to play and stop.

Any ideas ????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

No is the short answer.

A few extra points;
    For videos to be playable on a DVD they must be converted into MPEG-2, no way of stepping around this.

30hrs of material will require multiple DVDs to be written to no way it will fit on one or two. The more you cram on a DVD the more it will sacrifice quality to accommodate all the files.

Your idea of side stepping the performance limitation of your PC with a DVD recorder while in theory may work will result in very poor image quality & look very messy with the computer desktop visible etc. not to mention the starting/stopping.

If you do not wish to convert the videos I highly recommend you invest in a DivX capable DVD player, that way you can simply burn the videos to disc with out re-encoding and play them back on the DVD player. You will also be able to fit many of the videos to a single disc size permitting course.

I also suggest you try ConvertXToDVD which is about the best converter program for turning videos into DVDs, try the demo version and see how long it takes with a single file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Much appreciated ,I've actually gotten video from my pc to video a few years back without any major quality issue ,just used a composite to scart adapter.
    Its actually possible to get video on the tv only without any graphics ,through using the overlay settings in the detonator drivers.

Thanks for the links and recommending a DiVX player ,I might buy a DixX player just to make copying from DiVX to Vob easier.

Cheers
    Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

On the DVD player with DivX capability idea, you could also consider one of these: http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/175017/art/advance/bx-nmp101-divx-external-e.html

It is an external hard drive enclosure that can also be plugged into your TV. It will play whatever AVIs and DVDs (as well as mp3s and jpegs) that happen to be stored on the hard drive. You just supply the HDD. It comes with a remote control too. The remote isn't great but overall I think it's a great pice of kit - especially if you were looking for an external HDD box anyway.

I don't recommend Pixmania themselves though, I find their customer service very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

What I do is use a program called
    http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/
    This converts any video file to DVD format, and burns the final image.
    Its great for copying downloaded Divx format movies to DVD format.
    I can fit up to 8 hours of divx movies onto a single blank DVD.
    It also converts MPEG, BIN/CUE and Real Player formats to DVD.

Thanks for the replies irish rover and maniacs !!
    I'd knocked this idea on the head ,theres already 4 dvd players in the house and I'd have to eat one in order to get another one.

I'll give that program a bash maniacs ,if it's too slow I'll look into that machine irish rover.

Cheers
    Brian.

• Advertisement

10000maniacs that program is sweet ,I didn't think I could get a program that would convert so quickly .
    All I need now is to purchase the program !

Cheers for the help .

Brian.

Advertisement