Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating...

Options
  • 22-08-2006 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

My parents are forcing me to repeat. :(

Didn't get what I needed, AND failed maths... Has anyone ever repeated in Coláiste Phádraig before? I'm really really not kean on doing this. But I guess it might be the right way... God I don't want to do this. A whole YEAR... Ugh.

Anyone know what Coláiste Phádraig is like? Whats the story, do you have to go back wearing a uniform and being a "Pupil"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

How can they force you? What did you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Ring the helpline. Let them speak to your parents. It is possibly the right thing to do but if you dont want to they shudn't force you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Well there isn't many options when you fail maths.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

sucks for you... having to sit all those exams... do all that study... listen to all those teachers nag and nag... have your parents nag and nag

poor you :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

I was thinking what I would have to do if I had to repeat, I shudder at the thought of going through it all again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

mang87 wrote:
    My parents are forcing me to repeat. :(

Didn't get what I needed, AND failed maths... Has anyone ever repeated in Coláiste Phádraig before? I'm really really not kean on doing this. But I guess it might be the right way... God I don't want to do this. A whole YEAR... Ugh.

Anyone know what Coláiste Phádraig is like? Whats the story, do you have to go back wearing a uniform and being a "Pupil"?

First, what the hell, forcing you? That's just stupid, you should do what you want to, not what they want.

I repeated there, wasn't too bad, alright place and nice teachers. You're pretty much 'outside' the regular school system, no uniform, not really a pupil; you're not going to get given out to like, and get loads of time off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Holsten wrote:
    First, what the hell, forcing you? That's just stupid, you should do what you want to, not what they want.

I repeated there, wasn't too bad, alright place and nice teachers. You're pretty much 'outside' the regular school system, no uniform, not really a pupil; you're not going to get given out to like, and get loads of time off.

Yeah, they're insistant about it, and I don't want to fall out with them over it. When my father gets an idea in his head which he thinks is correct, he doesn't drop it.

But I'm glad it will be outside the regular school system. Might make it easier if I'm treated as a grown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Particle-Boy

Tak3n wrote:
    sucks for you... having to sit all those exams... do all that study... listen to all those teachers nag and nag... have your parents nag and nag

poor you :(

Well.. you suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

mang87 wrote:
    But I'm glad it will be outside the regular school system. Might make it easier if I'm treated as a grown up.

Still have to swipe in and usually the roll gets taken, in with all the other years too, kinda funny with the 1st years as they seem to get smaller every year, remember, not everyone gets to do 7th Year.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

I'm repeating in a college actually, I'll be with people doing college courses except they're FETAC things but apparently it's much better than regular secondary school, not as much drama etc. Trust me being outside the regular system makes it much more appealing. I'm looking forward to repeating, hopefully this time I'll work harder and be happier with my results. Get the maths rechecked too beforehand you mightn't have failed it by much!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

I'm repeating in a college actually, I'll be with people doing college courses except they're FETAC things but apparently it's much better than regular secondary school, not as much drama etc.

Yeah I think I was in one of them too. It's almost like you're in a college enviornment and you can just come and go when you want. You could have Irish and Maths classes in the morning and then a Geography class at 2 in the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Gangsta wrote:
    Well there isn't many options when you fail maths.

Not really. Most places let you do a crash course in maths, and if ye pass their exam, yer in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

abetarrush wrote:
    Not really. Most places let you do a crash course in maths, and if ye pass their exam, yer in
    Is that so?! Thanks for telling me that. ;) You see, my friend got an E in higher maths and wanted to do Engineering or something like that. He told me the other day that he is repeating his maths exam tomorrow (Friday) in Maynooth. I was wondering because it seemed sorta odd to me that he'd be allowed to take another maths exam without waiting a whole year to repeat his LC. It must be a crash course in maths then, I figure! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

just repeat maths, and work full time for a year.

get a few grinds in april/may and you're flying. by the end of it, you'll have earned over €15k, have 1 years work experience and have passed maths.

don't complicate things. keep it simple. if you don't benefit from your decision, you have to question it.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

smemon wrote:
    just repeat maths, and work full time for a year.

get a few grinds in april/may and you're flying. by the end of it, you'll have earned over €15k, have 1 years work experience and have passed maths.

don't complicate things. keep it simple. if you don't benefit from your decision, you have to question it.
    Wtf smemon telling someone to get grinds. Who are you and what have you done with smemon? :D

Btw have to agree that getting a job is a very good idea. If you go to college next year you'll have a decent cash flow and you'll have an advantage over other graduates with the years work experience when you go looking for a job. If you do this try to get a job that relates in someway to what you plan to study in college.

Advertisement