Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summerslam reaction *results contained*

• 22-08-2006 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Well, what did everyone make of the biggest party of the summer? Must say I am somewhat underwhelmed.

Rey Vs Chavo - This was my favourite match of the show, in that there was actually a bit of wrestling involved. Glad Chavo got the win, as I agree with his storyline.

ECW Heavyweight title Big Sow Vs Sabu - Sloppy sloppy sloppy. Crap match, at least 2 spots messed up, as well as Big Show diving for the table before Sabu bulldogged him. Cant see Sabu lasting at the top end of ECW, if at all.

Hogan Vs Orton - What a pile of crap. My disdain for Hogan knows no bounds, and that ending was plain wrong. Even a fúcking 2 year old can see that Hogan has no business in the ring, and only a muppet still cheers him.

Flair Vs Foley - Again, crap, and hard to watch. Too has beens drawing blood from each other. Only the sight of Melina made this watchable.

Booker Vs Batista - Awful awful match, with the worst ending to a title match at a PPV in living memory. Never got going, and just as it was about to, it ended.

McMahons Vs DX - passable, but oh so predictable. I certainly cant wait to see Kane face Umaga. That could headline wrestlemania. Buried the SS, and the SD talent. Went on too long also.

Cena Vs Edge - 2nd best match of the night. I enjoyed it, and was convinced Lita would cause for Cena to be DQed. Cenas ringwork is good, but Edge could benefit from fueding with someone with more main event experience like HBK, Benoit or Angle. Enjoyed the ending.

All in all, this PPV was a sad indictment of what WWE has become. SD got 2 matches, no mid card titles were defended or mentioned. No tag titles or CW titles. The IC title should have been on the line here. No place for Shelton, Nitro, Carlito, Kennedy, Lashley. Summerslam is meant to be the 2nd biggest PPV of the year. On this evidence, WWE is dying on its feet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Right, heres my two cents on the "Biggest party of the Summer".....

Rey Vs. Chavo......Glad Chavo won. Expected Vicky to turn heel. But overall, a good wrestling match!

ECW Heavyweight title match: Sabu Vs. Show......Expected Sabu to win this! As I didn't watch the original ECW, I found this match to be fairly decent. The three table spots were good ideas, but dey got f*cked up!

Hogan Vs. Orton......The RKO hogan took was dreadful! I could probably have taken the bump better! Surprised that Hogan's ego let him work the 3rd match, but 'Watcha gonna do?' (I apologise, but it had to be done). Sad to see a talent like Orton jobbing to Hogan in this day and age. I don't kno why Hogan was given control of the finish, it's not like he was needed for the ratings etc. He should have jobbed to Orton and then Austin may consider the dream match for WM23 that all of us want to see ! But as much as I hate to say it about Austin, they are both past their prime in the ring, so the match would be awful!

Flair Vs. Foley......I don't think it will go down as being as famous as Rock Vs. Foley or Flair Vs. Funk, but a not too bad a match overall. When Foley fell from the ring apron onto the garbage can and the ref called for the bell, I thought it was legit, until Flair went to beat him up again. Sh*t finish IMHO though, Melina should never have been involved!

Booker Vs. Batista......NEXT!!!!!!! Joke of a title and a joke of a champ (Booker's gimmick, not him)!!

McMahon's Vs. D-X......Too much interference for my liking. It took HHH way too long to get up after the chokeslam by Show! Glad to see D-x win though! Also, can't wait til HHH is back in the title run!

Edge Vs. Cena......Highlight of the night. I also expected Lita to get JC DQ'd and was really happy to see Edge retain! He's the best WWE champ since JBL! I just wish he had some decent opposition! Hopefully WWE will drop Cena to the mid-cards after the release of "The Marine"!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

one of the poorest ppv's i have seen in a long time, I only enjoyed the flair/foley match.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Gonzo wrote:
    one of the poorest ppv's i have seen in a long time, I only enjoyed the flair/foley match.

Gotta agree with that,big Foley mark so I suppose i have to! :D Anyone notice Booker sandbagging the Batista Bomb? Two guys that have legit heat,way to book that feud,WWE :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

LOL @ all the elitests hating on Hogan.

Hogan played the crowd like he has been for 30 years. If they cheer for him, he's doing something right. I enjoyed the match. Hogan is the man, the biggest name ever in pro-wrestling with a cute daughter. Show a bit of respect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭the sunbabe wan

Gotta agree with that,big Foley mark so I suppose i have to! :DAnyone notice Booker sandbagging the Batista Bomb? Two guys that have legit heat,way to book that feud,WWE :mad:

I DID:mad: :mad: booker does not want to work with batista, as much as he says he's willing to work. damn u booker t:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Gonzo wrote:

agreed 100%. i pity anyone that payed for that tripe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Mossy Monk wrote:
    agreed 100%. i pity anyone that payed for that tripe

If you didn't pay for it, then how can you agree that it was a poor PPV! It was better than most SmackDown! PPVs!!!!!

Also, I assume that the reason the midcard titles were kept off the show was because maybe, finally (in a Rock voice) the WWE realise that they have no decent fueds in those divisons at the moment and they decided not to make a total screw up of the PPV. I still think it was a decent WWE PPV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I thought it was a so so show.

Rey V Chavo- It was fine for what it was but just the whole storyline around it turns my stomach.

Sabu v Show
    - Again aside from the few sloppy moments it was okay.

Orton v Hogan- No one should have expected a 3 star plus match. It was Hogan being Hogan. And on an irregular basis I quite like it.

Flair v Foley- It was 8-10 minutes short of being really good. Flair's manneurisms in the match were phenomenal. Some like this style of a match. Some don't. But they deleivered what they promised and that was an intense violent match.

Booker v Batista- It was pretty poor and nobody cared. Batista's timing was way off for all of the match particuliarly at the start. Booker did n't cover himself in glory but Batista has n't looked at all good since coming back.

Cena v Edge- Fun match. Cena is n't at the level of alot of the passed champions. But as WWE wrestling goes today, he's not bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Minto wrote:
    If you didn't pay for it, then how can you agree that it was a poor PPV! It was better than most SmackDown! PPVs!!!!!

i can agree because maybe i watched it. pretty mad really

to say it was better than a Smackdown! PPV doesnt even make it a good PPV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Minto wrote:

Also, I assume that the reason the midcard titles were kept off the show was because maybe, finally (in a Rock voice) the WWE realise that they have no decent fueds in those divisons at the moment and they decided not to make a total screw up of the PPV.

Chicken and egg here maybe, but why are there not any decent midcard fueds? WWE should be building fueds from bottom to top, not putting all their interests into just the main events. If it was a well balanced card, like Summerslam 2002, guarteed higher buyrates. As it was, this PPV was only about 4 matches - Flair Foley, Edge Cena, DX Mcmahons, Batista Booker.

Not good enough IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I thought it was a so so show.

Flair v Foley- It was 8-10 minutes short of being really good. Flair's manneurisms in the match were phenomenal. Some like this style of a match. Some don't. But they deleivered what they promised and that was an intense violent match.

I agree about Flair, at one stage i thought he might have broke character, he was that good. The lead-up to the match was brilliant(Especially Foley's promo from a few weeks ago) and I think the match lived up to it. my only gripe is Foley having to lose again in a match that is his forte. It would have made more sense, at least to me, if it was 1-1.

Whomever said Foley is past it that's blasphemous:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

They promised violence and they delivered. It should n't have surprised anyone, as thats what they were selling for weeks on Raw.

Again add 10 minutes more to it and it could have potentially been much more memorable.

As regards Foley being passed it, the guy be it in the ring or on the mic was/is special. He's not the in ring Mick Foley of 1998 and no one should expect him to be. Time moves on and all that but I would n't class any of his return matches as failures. Orton at Backlash was a potential match of the year candidate and Edge at this years Wrestlemania was also really good.

Plus for the last few weeks Flair and Foley have made everything else on WWE look even weaker than it actually is with thier great performances. They have been in a different league to everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't think Foley could have lasted another 10 minutes though.

even without that extra 10 minutes it was memorable. Foley is 41 years old and bled as much in this match as he has in any other- he needed 25 stiches.
    Flair was phenomenal, the intensity he showed during the match was amazing.

Foley is a legend in my opinion. The promos he cut during this feud with Flair were among the best I've ever seen from any wrestler. He and Flair on raw over the last few weeks were magnificent. They made every other storyline seem boring compared to theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Yeah the flair/foley promo's are the best i've seen in a very long time. I'd Hope this feud has one more match in it. I think the match was only an ending though. They got straight into the blood and spots. Very lilttle build-up and that's why it was so short.

A bad PPV really. A strong card but weak matches. You can certainly call it a bad ppv when a cena match was one of the best matches for the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I DID:mad: :mad: booker does not want to work with batista, as much as he says he's willing to work. damn u booker t:mad:

I really doubt Booker went dead weight on Batista there, anyone remember when Bob Holly did that to Brock? He was out for a year or so with a broken neck. So I don't see why Booker would have done that, especially if there is legit heat between the two! Unintentional mistake in my opinion, good recovery

Summerslam as a whole was pretty crap. I liked seeing Foley, hated Hogan going over Orton, and Cena's impressing me more again. I loved the finish to the main event though, my mate was absolutely convinced Cena would win, I loved it! Amazing how boring DX have become

Advertisement