Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kowloon Bridge petition

• 22-08-2006 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭

This was circulated amongst members of my club:

According to Aquaventures in Baltimore, there's now a real possibility of
    the Kowloon Bridge being salvaged. The wreck was resold a year ago and the
    current owner is surveying with a view to raising both the iron ore cargo
    and the ship itself for scrap. If you're concerned at the loss of a great
    wreck for divers, or with the potential impact on local marine life,
    there's a petition at:

http://www.divesitedirectory.co.uk/kowloon_bridge_wreck_dive_petition.html

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Looks like i'd better get my ass down to Baltimore pretty quick before it's gone:)

Seriously, would it be fesable to salvage, as it has been in the water for 20+ years :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

Benny-c wrote:
    Looks like i'd better get my ass down to Baltimore pretty quick before it's gone:)

Seriously, would it be fesable to salvage, as it has been in the water for 20+ years :confused:

Agree. Hope to get another dive on it this season in case it becomes off-limits.
    It's relatively shallow and there's well over 100,000 ton of ore there so if it makes economic sense to salvage it then I don't think the opinions of divers will count for much.

Salvage or no, we can't expect it to stay as it is. Considering the strength of tidal currents across it and the storms it has endured I think it's surprising the bow structure still stands. Another few years and it could be flattened.

The environmental argument? :rolleyes: I have a feeling the people who claim the salvage will damage the environment are the same people who would have claimed the original wrecking of the vessel would damage the environment. The environment has recovered from the wrecking, given time it will recover from the salvage - if it goes ahead.

I've had many an enjoyable dive on the Kowloon Bridge in recent years and will miss it if it is salvaged. But if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. Accept and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

Apparently when the KB sank, the price of the Iron Ore on board was not enough to warrant the salvage, but as the price has gone up a lot since then it is now worth the cost. Its the largest wreck in Europe and I've had many a pleasurable dive on her over the years. One dive won't do it justice, 3 or 4 might.

Advertisement