Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 21s Restaurant

Options
  • 22-08-2006 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

My sister was to go for a meal with her friends to SoHo this evening, but was refused entry for not being 21. She is 20!

Seems fairly daft to me. Can they do this in a bar/restaurant?

Hate the place anyway, and predict it will be dead by May of next year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Can they do this in a bar/restaurant?
    Yes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Aye, SoHo is over 21's. As it's primarily a bar, it can do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

When the reservation was made, no mention was made of an age restriction.

It was a tuesday nigth, and they were willing to turn away 5 people, all obviously willing to spend money. The attitude at the door was both rude and arrogant. If this is the way they wish to do business, screw them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Haven't been to the place and tbh, outside of work-sponsored drinkathons I have no intention of going there. Everything I've heard about it suggests that I'd rather chew razorblades than spend time there.

I'm curious to see how it does over time; I'll be impressed if there's a sustainable market for that kind of place in Cork. I would say that variety in nightlife is good, but not when it's just a different sort of crappiness which is what Soho appears to be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

gimmick wrote:
    When the reservation was made, no mention was made of an age restriction.

It was a tuesday nigth, and they were willing to turn away 5 people, all obviously willing to spend money. The attitude at the door was both rude and arrogant. If this is the way they wish to do business, screw them.
    They are fully entitled to refuse whoever they please provided it is not for discriminatory reasons.

Pubs have to be able to protect themselves from unrully punters and the underage in posession of fake id. This is one such tactic used as the majority of fake ids will show an age of 18 or 19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Haven't been there yet but hearing that they have an age rule has now enticed me to enter those doors. Venues have to have rules - by saying over 21's we know there will be 18 year olds sneaking in because they look older or they have false I.D. but at least it stops the 14 year olds who look like 18 year olds getting in. Sometimes you just get a bit of sick of "young 'uns" taking over everywhere, it makes you feel like you've entered playschool. (I know, I know, I'm exaggerating slightly here but hopefully you'll get my point!). J

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Judes wrote:
    Haven't been there yet but hearing that they have an age rule has now enticed me to enter those doors. Venues have to have rules - by saying over 21's we know there will be 18 year olds sneaking in because they look older or they have false I.D. but at least it stops the 14 year olds who look like 18 year olds getting in. Sometimes you just get a bit of sick of "young 'uns" taking over everywhere, it makes you feel like you've entered playschool. (I know, I know, I'm exaggerating slightly here but hopefully you'll get my point!). J

I totally get your point on that one Judes! I have been in there a few times. It reminds me in some ways of the EV. The age group is that bit older but I don't think I'm ever going to be crazy about the place.

Soho as far as I know wants to be a pub to the "Beautiful People". There are times I have been upstairs in the smoking area and looked down at the queue outside and then checked out downstairs and it wouldn't be that crowded. I think they do this to give it a bit of status. They can be strict with guys as well. There were rumours going around before it opened that there would be no jeans allowed but that isn't the case.

All in all the crowd resembles the crowd in Barry's (the younger crowd anyway) If that's any help to anyone. If you like Barry's you'll probably like Soho.

The smoking room is bizaare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

No matter how it's tarted up, it's still the Factory or Doyles or whatever place it was. Bless the bouncers, I'm sure they try but you're hardly going to make the place classy when you think River Island shirts,Tommy Hilfiger denims and Argos jewellery are the heights of style.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Was in there on a "work-sponsored drinkathon" as Fysh put it, i'm 21. It has one of the most amazing toilets I have ever been into but besides that its the most boring place I have ever been into.

I dunno is it because the ceiling is so high, or is it because they're going for that night club in a bar look or is the fact that its full of posers but I won't be going there again.

Advertisement