Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

medicine in britain??

Options
  • 23-08-2006 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

hi i want to study medicine and i dont mind studying for for a long time with the leaving just to get the points but even though i might fair our ok with the science subjects i think with maths and irish the best i can hope for are high grades ot ordinary level.i believe that with enough study and tutoring i could get around the 500 mark.i saw on tv that a girl got 510 and qualified to study medicine in britain.i have been trying to find some info on the internet for the leaving cert as regards acceptance for medicine in britain but i was unable to to find much so those anybody have more info on leaving cert qaulifications for medicine n britain?what would the minimum points requirements for me to get to study medicine in britain??thanx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

You would have to apply through UCAS and I think (not sure) the college then write to you with the grades you must get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

You can go to the UCAS site and look it up, they list all the international qualifications required for the courses. Generally five A1's and an A2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

That's the same as what it is here! 590!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Well you can't get all D3's and get into medicine, unless you go to Romania or Russia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭j2u

i thought that it was competitive aswell but did anyone else watch the news on leaving cert results day?did anybody see the girl who got 510 and said she got a place to study medicine in britain?it was this that mainly got me asking questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

may i suggest abberdeen uni.
    i want to study med there next year as i have defered for two years.
    you need a l.c. or your principal has to write a letter stating his expectations for your exams.
    you also gotta fill in the forms from ucas and write an essay on how good you are.(found that impossible), then if your lucky you will get an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

OK, for Medicine through UCAS, you need

Leaving Cert grades set by uni. (Typically AAAAAA)

Personal statement. (Why you would like to do Medicine)

References. (From your teachers, mainly. Ring the admissions officer to find out the desired characteristics of med students, then get the teachers to write references with those specific ideas, like team player, compassionate, takes the lead but does not exclude his peers, comfortable with responsibility etc.

An important bonus would be work experience. If you spent a summer in Africa, that in itself would nearly be enough for a place. Or if you can find work in a hospice, or a nursing home for a few months, that would help a lot.
    Hospitals generally wouldn't hire, even emptying bedpans on a voluntary basis.

Try www.medschoolguide.com
    www.medschoolchat.com

And good luck.

Advertisement