Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

societies

Options
  • 23-08-2006 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

is there actually a circus and juggling society?? theres so many random ones its mad!!! haha!

i've a question.. to join a society, do u have to have the skills for it, or will you be taught in it? like i don't really get what they are.. i'm a bit confused! i've read about them on the website but could someone explain a little?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

xx-lou-xx wrote:
    is there actually a circus and juggling society?? theres so many random ones its mad!!! haha!

i've a question.. to join a society, do u have to have the skills for it, or will you be taught in it? like i don't really get what they are.. i'm a bit confused! i've read about them on the website but could someone explain a little?

not been in a society (i believe next year i'll give one or two a go though, i'm sure some boardsies will suggest something...) but most people join societies not knowing a clue about what they're going for. one guy in my class joined a frizbee society and seemed to have a blast with it...

anyway, there's a week where the societies come and explain what they're about/what they do & you can ask all the questions in the world. plus it's cheap to join so you don't even need to show up if you discover it's sh1te :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 xx-lou-xx

ah right, cool thanks!

yeh i seen dat der ws a frisbee society, soo random haha!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Just join the society during the Socs&Club fair (or whatever they call it) and then it's up for you to turn up and show an interest and also for the society to show an interest in you. Without members societies just disappear, so they'll be more then happy to get you to join, but the quality of the society is shown by how hard they try and get you involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Grim_Reaper

yes there is a circus and juggling society! i don't know how you can join it or where it is exactly BUT i do know that i did the design for the back of the DIT Circus and Juggling Society's hoodies!! =)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Its actually one of the best socs in DIT imo.

• Advertisement

I think the DIT Frisbee club is pretty solid and good craic... oh, and Ultimate Frisbee is an actual sport, with rules and stuff... so it's a load of fun, not just a case of throwing a disc about the place.

I always hear great things about the karting soc and the paintball soc.

Throw in Drama, and youve got the socs worth joining imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

The poker society in aungier st is very good too, definately one of the best in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

http://socs.dit.ie/socs_list.php?q=jugglers

(not much info on that site at the moment, but it's getting revamped)

add netsoc to the list of societies worth joining if your interested in pc gaming/lans/computers at all

(confession: im on the committee for netsoc, but its still a great society ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There are socs for everything. The juggling and circus soc are pretty small, but they seem to meet regularly, always see them near the SU steps in bolton street.
    You dont need skills to join, and im sure they would be happy to show you, but they dont run lessons per say AFAIK.

Best society is going to be a matter of opinion, Bolton street also set up a Poker soc last year, and was one of the best in terms of members who were involved redularly.
    Hopefully this year we will get a few inter campus games going with other socs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

is there a karting society?

LOTP wrote:
    Throw in Drama, and youve got the socs worth joining imo.

Ah yeah, I'd forgotten drama... though I did hear a few negative grumblings about them, but nothing major. They definitly do a lot of stuff so there's a good chance to get really involved.

Yeah, I think DIT have one of the best karting societies in the country afaik.

Netsoc FTW.

Heh heh yeah and Netsoc. There are actually a fair few DIT societies with their acts together, but nearly as many that are just clinging on I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

If your after action, craic and glory, might i suggest the DIT Paintball Societies.

Bolton & Aungier St.'s would be the main ones. not sure what the story with kevin st is.

Bolton St will be taken members this year from Cathal Buragh and Mount Joy Sq as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Yeah, i was wondering about them myself.
    one question i have is are you confined to only joining socs from your building or can you join any soc?
    e.g. can kevin street students join angier street socs and vice versa?

No confinement. If you can be bothered to go to the other campus, the world is your oyster

Ah right, thats a bit of a relief

We (bolton st paintball) sign up teams from catha buragh, mount joy, and a few odd balls from aungier and kevein st.

This years inter-dit cup is going to be wikd!

just so ye know, involvment in the aungier st paintball committee might be up for grabs, cause im in Holland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

paintball sounds deadly!

where do you guys go for that? i'd be interested if its not too far from a bus route :D

Yeah, paintball sounds great, i'd say i'll be joining that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

some socities suck ass man.

I read about one society which goes around picking up rubbish or some crap. who wants to do that?

I mean, you could do that and be paid for it by becoming a bin man to be fair!!! :D

Never heard of that soc. But sure the whole point is that if you dont want to do that, you dont have to. If thats how you get your kicks, go nuts.

And i believe bolton st go to santry for paintball, while aungier st have gone to skirmish in wicklow (or at least they did while i was involved). Buses and stuff are all inlcuded in the price, and because its a society, you get a great price at that.

Netsoc FTW

Ah is that you Peter, how's she cutting......Richie here.

Big changes here in bolton st. paintball. We are now involved with the IPPA - Irish Paintball Players Association. This year will see the introduction on speedball on a grand scale into Ireland, as well as the colleges.

As for aungier st. i was wondering about that, Brian over there didn’t know what the story was. I believe there is a guy called Charlie, secretary of the IPPA is interested in helping out.

What is the story with Kevin st. do you know?

I expect Kevin st to start out with grand designs, and then get sidetracked at the cornerstone.

Thats just my prediction.

Ah well, maybe they could tag alone with aungier st. I know a guy keen to help out with aungier st. He also works in crossfire which is handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

I know its more of a club than a soc but i hear the ski club is supposed to be good. They run a ski trip to france every year for 80 people and then they have trips to kilternan too

That is true. They are pretty consistant. A bit pricey for my blood though...poor student me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

well its well worth saving up for... i hear this year they are going to les arcs, i'm probably going to join up tomorrow or the next day in aungier street...

Advertisement