Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to Nurofen?

Options
  • 23-08-2006 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Our lil girl is teething like mad at the moment (7 Months). She used to be such a good sleeper at night but now she up at around 2 until 4am each night. She doesn't always cry, she sort of blows and chats to herself and then might gradually start crying and she cannot settle back. We gave her some nurofen the other night and it relaxed her and she went back to sleep until the morning.

Since she is doing this every night now is it safe to give her a spoon of nurofen every night to ease the pain from teething? I just don't want to think that we are shoving nurofen into her at every opportunity when maybe we could be doing something else...at 3am :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well my kids grew up on the stuff,you can give Calpol and after a short while give Nurofen as it has Ibuprofen while calpol has paracetamol .We were always told when if after giving Calpol it was ok to give Nurofen after a couple of hours.

Oh the teething years wait till you get to the Heelys years where I'am now.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

thanks for the prompt reply mad m! I am afraid to ask what are the Heelys years??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Always read the cautions and warnings and intructions on any medications you give to youf children and follow them.

I used calpol in conjunction with teegel with mine.
    Teegeel is a gel surpising enough that you apply to the gums and it numbs them.
    I would follow up with the calpol if the teegel alone was not enough to let the baby settle it could be that teegel could take the edge of your little one with out needed more calpol/nurofen.

If you are concerned do contact your gf or the babynurse in your area and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

(Edit: there isn't, it was solpadeine I was thinking of, so the next sentence is wrong :D) I'm pretty sure there is paracetamol in both calpol and neurofen (the ibuprofen in neurofen is the advertised drug though, just check the label). Be careful when mixing medicines like that.

Most bottles advise seeking medical advice for "prolonged use" (this, of course, is a subjective amount of time). If you're concerned about it, I'd suggest dropping into your local pharmacy. It's free and very reassuring. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭MyBaby

I used teedex for my baby when he was teething worked great, eased the paon 4 him with 5/10mins. The woman in the chemist recommended it to me because he was also waking up during the nite with his teeth.

Ps, think mad m is referring to the heely runners, all the kids seem to have them nowadays, its like a runner with a wheel in the heel. lol http://www.heelys.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

We use a combination of Teetha (homeopathic granules) and teedex....it can seem like you are using them 24/7 when the wee mites go through a bad teething patch! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Definately use the teething creams until you can get away with it. If you keep giving baby neurofen he/she might build up a bit of a resistance to it. And that would be a shame as neurofen is excellent for high temperatures. There are certain conditions though that makes neurofen unsuitable. My daughter has no thyroid and she is not allowed take neurofen for some unknown reason. So check that out with the chemist/doc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hiya,

My daughter is 6 and a half months, and is teething ferociously. I've found of all the paracetamol liquid suspensions, Teedex is the best. Its better than Calpol by far (dunno why though) and it settled her much better last night than any other night.

There are also homeopathic remedies available in chemists. I found one called Teetha (they are granules that you just pour into the babys mouth) the best, and, as its homeopathic, it can be used in conjunction with medicines like Calpol, Dozol, Teedex etc

Hope this helps.

edit : Just wanted to add - my GP advised me that, generally speaking, the first teeth are the worst and most uncomfortable for the baby. Once the first teeth are cut, they tend to cause less discomfort and pain (usually because the baby is accustomed to it). Also, he said that its perfectly safe to give a baby up to 4 5ml doses of paracetamol per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Good advice there from boards members. I just thought though of a medicine we had to use on occassion,it is not for teething but for great for temps and if the child cant hold down Calpol or Nurofen.

My son used to cough up the calpol or nurofen,we had to give him a Suppository called Paralink.Its lasts much longer than oral medicine.But as it was said ask the Pharmacist if in doubt.

Personally I'd prefer the Heelys to the teething anyday:D Not.

Goodluck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Deer wrote:
    My daughter has no thyroid and she is not allowed take neurofen for some unknown reason. So check that out with the chemist/doc too.
    Its because of the Ibuprofen - if you have a thryoid problem it gives you palpatations - well it does for me anyways and I'm grown up! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

oh yeah, I've seen those Heely things around alright...I must admit they look great...but I suppose from a parent's point of view they look like trouble...trying to keep them safe from cars etc..oh I don't even want to think about it yet...I have some years before that happens...and who knows what the craze will be at that time.

back to the topic, thanks for your advice, I will suss out teedex...oh yeah we also use Bonjella, she hates the taste (can't blame her) but it does provide relief...she slept thru all last night without waking (until 6am..her usual).

yeah, we have used Paralink before when she had a nasty tummy bug...great stuff...almost instant relief providing you can insert it successfully...my first time was tough....I was sweating I tell ya! It's all one big learning curve!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

tk123 wrote:
    Its because of the Ibuprofen - if you have a thryoid problem it gives you palpatations - well it does for me anyways and I'm grown up! :rolleyes:

See I didn't even know why she wasn't supposed to have it. I just knew that she wasn't... damn doctors, sometimes their just too busy to explain - thanks for that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

re Teetha - you can use as much of it as you like because they're just granules of glucose!

I'm not saying it's totally useless, but I think it just provides a distraction for the baby.

I'd be reluctant to give calpol or dozol on a nightly basis - paracetamol is hard on the liver. Not sure about ibuprofen, but in general I'd only resort to drugs as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Used teedex although not all that often. Great stuff he sleeps peacefully with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

loyatemu wrote:
    re Teetha - you can use as much of it as you like because they're just granules of glucose!

If I remember correctly the Teetha box gives directions for use & there is a max hourly dosage up to a maximum per day as it has more than just glucose as an ingredient....some homeopathic ingredients are as strong as their pharmaceutical cousins, so I would be very wary just pouring it into a child just because it is homeopathic. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Wex1

My 4 used to get into a routine of waking at night, if they woke at 3am one night they'd do it a couple of nights in a row! I would be very wary of giving them much of any drug as they might presume this is part of the routine very quickly!!! One of mine took to almost sucking teegel!

If you don't give em meds too often it works all the better when you really really need it! - and I learned the hard way!
    But don't worry, by the time they start to move about the teething does seem to get easier - one day they'll open their mouths to scream and they'll have a full set!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thaedydal wrote:
    If you are concerned do contact your gf
    I think it would be much better for the OP to contact their GP. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Shandra

I think I was warned before that Nurofen can be a little rough on young childrens tummies and that it shouldn't really be used regularly, I could be wrong about this, maybe some other members might know.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

With Thaedydal's kind permission...

There is some useful information here (my GP recommended the site) regarding giving children paracetamol &/or ibuprofen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement