Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal to advertise goods solely in square yards?

Options
  • 23-08-2006 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

Is it legal to advertise goods eg flooring or carpets solely in square yards for sale? I was under the impression that for the past 20 years everyone who attended schooling in Ireland learned solely in metric.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I don't see why it would be illegal, it's up to the consumer to decide whether or not to buy it based on their observance of the advertising, and I would assume a retailer thus has the freedom to advertise a product as he likes, provided he's not misrepresenting the product.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

no reason why not as long as the price per metre sq is displayed too .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This annoys the **** out of me.

A couple of years ago I was getting a bit of tiling done.
    The tiler is a feet-and-inches man so he measured up and got the square yards then got out the calculator and carefully gave me the figures in square metres.

So what happens in every tile shop I go to... Prices in square yards only and no square metres prices displayed.

If the square metres price was cheaper, not dearer, you would be sure everywhere would display it.

Yes I think this is illegal - imperial measurements can be quoted but AFAIK must be less prominent than the metric and the actual measurement/weighing/etc of goods must be in metric.

The really, really, really stupid thing about all this is that the tiles all come from Spain or Italy anyway and.... come in boxes of square metres.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

There's a certain tyle company has adverts on every 15 mins or so on the radio quoting exclusively in square yards. How do they get away with this as it seems there is no problem with that from The Advertising Standards Authority, probably a case of Ireland again living in the 1950's with standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I am pretty sure you have to sell in square metres these days (although a lot of operators don't).

The reason they advertise in this way is because the imperial measurement is smaller, so it allows a more impressive headline price.

I can understand advertising in yards, but actually selling on the basis of the price per yard is just ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI255Y1992.html

Carries an £IR 800 fine (€1,000)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The reason they use Square Yards is that the price sounds cheaper than square metre pricing. I'm surprised that the ODCA aren't out in force about places that don't show square metre pricing as they are very strict wiht shelf edge labelling in normal retail outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

The reason they use Square Yards is that the price sounds cheaper than square metre pricing. I'm surprised that the ODCA aren't out in force about places that don't show square metre pricing as they are very strict wiht shelf edge labelling in normal retail outlets.

It could also be because alot of their customers still work in square yards. Yes we supposedly have gone metric, but how many people still talk in miles, and still in pennies and pounds when dealing with big figures.

Advertisement