Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

It's not just the learners, you know!

Options
  • 23-08-2006 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I still quite can't believe it to be honest! :eek:

Driving to work this morning, coming from East Wall and taking the short cut through the IFSC via Sheriff St. As you head down the hill onto Sheriff St (past Spencer Dock apartments that are being built) a road to the left from the IFSC joins the road I was on (I was going up to the turn further up the road to the IFSC) but there is quite a visible STOP sign if you are on the road joining Sheriff St.

Some munter in a Suzuki Swift just keeps on driving right out from the side road right into the middle of the road and keeps going. Now I saw it all happening before it did and was able to apply the brakes but I BLASTED the horn at her to which she cops on what she has done and stops. I drive up alongside her window and she can't even look at me but can't help to start smirking with her passenger??

I don't know what part of writing off a car worth 40k to me she found funny but I wasn't in the mood to bother asking... if drivers who aren't learners can't read road signs (and I would've thought a stop sign was obvious enough!) then what hope is there for learners!

Good morning :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I have never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever made a mistake driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Making a mistake is forgetting your indicator...

Running out into the middle of a road with a stop sign is the same as breaking a red light and just driving in front of other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Elphaba

They were all out this morning. I encountered an idiot middle aged man in his big car thinkin he owns the road in Blanch. Really had to count to ten! :mad:

Only 10 mins ago on Baggot St some poor woman wanted to reverse park into a space so she stops, no cars behind her, puts the car into reverse and out of nowhere this hag comes along in a battered old Merc, right up her arse and she has to stop reversing.

Merc woman won't budge and eventually (30 seconds have passed) she squeals the tyres and reverses about 1 ft - still blocking the first car.

She then has had enough and swerves around the car trying to park and gives her a stare!?

Women, parking, Mercs = recipe for disaster! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

Women :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

A few weeks ago I had a plonker in a Landcruiser come onto a roundabout in front of me without even looking to his right, he stopped when I nearly had the grille of the Transit in his side window, sat on my rear bumper for 2 miles afterwards:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Big Balls wrote:
    I don't know what part of writing off a car worth 40k to me she found funny but I wasn't in the mood to bother asking... if drivers who aren't learners can't read road signs (and I would've thought a stop sign was obvious enough!) then what hope is there for learners!

Thanks for sharing, I've an expensive car too and never make mistakes either!

You and 'lightening' should set up a little thread together so - call it the imperfect drivers if you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Big Balls wrote:
    Making a mistake is forgetting your indicator...

Running out into the middle of a road with a stop sign is the same as breaking a red light and just driving in front of other cars.

Totally agree. Running out into the middle of a road with a stop sign should not happen to a driver. Learner or not, old or young, male or female. Not ever. Period.

And I'm not impressed by those comments implying Big Balls is on a high horse here. It's the same as the "ach sure it'll be grand" attitude. It will not be grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nearly got knocked down by a learner driver this morning on the Ballybough road as I crossed the road at a pedestrian crossings
    Drivers seem to speed up at pedestrian crossings as the lights go amber.
    Shouted at her but I doubt she noticed or cared.

Also, congrats to the motorcycle garda who pulled a cyclist over for breaking a red light outside Connolly station this morning.

I have never, ever, ever, ever seen a cyclist been done for this before. Fair play as it's pretty dangerous.
    If only there were penalty points for cyclists

• Advertisement

Last night in Ranelagh cyclists kept going even though their lights were red and so many cars in front of me were gladly letting them continue even though our lights were green. Eventually someone in front copped on and blasted the horn but as if traffic in Dublin is not bad enough without this stuff from cyclists. Granted, not all of them do it but a lot do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Big Balls wrote:
    You and 'lightening' should set up a little thread together so - call it the imperfect drivers if you like!

I agree with you about the incident but you are way off the mark if you even begin to think you are a "perfect" driver.

Never ever claim you are perfect as doing so implies you have nothing left to learn. This is a very dangerous situation if you think like this.

(you imply this by saying those who disagree to some extent with you are "imperfect")

Again, I completely agree, failure to stop at a stop sign is a Huge no no in my book.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Big Balls wrote:

I agree with you that she was in the wrong, no argument there.

I just dont see how the value of your car comes in to play, if I made a mistake a nearly crashed thats the last thing I would be thinking of, and if the person said "Do you know how much this car costs?!" I would think they're a complete idiot.

Also, some people laugh when they're nervous, I know a few people who do it, she could have been shaken!

nereid wrote:
    I agree with you about the incident but you are way off the mark if you even begin to think you are a "perfect" driver.

Never ever claim you are perfect as doing so implies you have nothing left to learn. This is a very dangerous situation if you think like this.

I didn't claim to be perfect. Not quite sure what you're trying to say to be honest. My reply was to the people that were trying to play down such a serious and stupid mistake.

d4r3n I think the price of something you've worked hard to pay for is VERY significant. Maybe a car is just a car to you but to lots of other people it's more than that. Maybe she would like the bill of a write off of not even an 8 week old car and her insurance premium reflecting that - that was the point on the price of the car...and yet the smirk on her face.

There's far too many idiots on our roads and defensive political correctness is not something they need for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I would lay evens that the girl in question was my ex flatmate.

:D

Will you give her a verbal slap for me when you see her next!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭upsfan

d4r3n wrote:
    I just dont see how the value of your car comes in to play, if I made a mistake a nearly crashed thats the last thing I would be thinking of, and if the person said "Do you know how much this car costs?!"
    I think I can understand a person having more of a desire to avoid damage to their expensive car than they would to an old banger. Presumng of course that their life is not in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Ah Big Balls I never fail to have a laugh at your comments you come accross such bad driving all the time it makes me wonder who is actually the bad driver:D . I know people who are bad drivers and are very quick to point out when they come somebody doing a dangerous manouver. I'm not saying I am a great driver BTW prone to the odd mistake thankfully never had an incident). Maybe if you spent a little more time looking out the windscreen at what's going on around you instead of looking at your GTI (I sometimes wonder if your posts are really so you can brag about your car) badge on you steering wheel you mightn't see as much bad driving around you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Was driving past a Spar in Blanch yesterday. Was coming up to it, saw someone in this big car waiting to pull out. I thought fair enough, they're looking left and right and waiting, no danger here. Just as I'm passing the exit, they make to drive into me, forcing me to swerve at the last second to avoid being rammed in the side. Then they wait in the left hand lane for a minute or two before turning right. Grrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

micmclo wrote:
    Nearly got knocked down by a learner driver this morning on the Ballybough road as I crossed the road at a pedestrian crossings
    Drivers seem to speed up at pedestrian crossings as the lights go amber.
    Shouted at her but I doubt she noticed or cared.

Also, congrats to the motorcycle garda who pulled a cyclist over for breaking a red light outside Connolly station this morning.

I have never, ever, ever, ever seen a cyclist been done for this before. Fair play as it's pretty dangerous.
    If only there were penalty points for cyclists

there should be on the spot fines for careless cyclists or something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

Big Balls wrote:
    I still quite can't believe it to be honest! :eek:

Driving to work this morning, coming from East Wall and taking the short cut through the IFSC via Sheriff St. As you head down the hill onto Sheriff St (past Spencer Dock apartments that are being built) a road to the left from the IFSC joins the road I was on (I was going up to the turn further up the road to the IFSC) but there is quite a visible STOP sign if you are on the road joining Sheriff St.

Some munter in a Suzuki Swift just keeps on driving right out from the side road right into the middle of the road and keeps going. Now I saw it all happening before it did and was able to apply the brakes but I BLASTED the horn at her to which she cops on what she has done and stops. I drive up alongside her window and she can't even look at me but can't help to start smirking with her passenger??

Good morning :D

How do you know she wasn't a learner. Not every learner displays 'L' plates !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How do you know she wasn't a learner. Not every learner displays 'L' plates !

I was just pondering this last evening as I was sitting in traffic. Apparently 1 in 6 drivers (or so I heard) is on a provisional the moment. looking around me, I definitely didn't see 1 in 6 cars displaying L-plates. (this was discounting commercial vehicles). Now this was just a straw poll at one particular place in time, but does anyone have any comments on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

endplate wrote:
    Ah Big Balls I never fail to have a laugh at your comments you come accross such bad driving all the time it makes me wonder who is actually the bad driver:D . I know people who are bad drivers and are very quick to point out when they come somebody doing a dangerous manouver. I'm not saying I am a great driver BTW prone to the odd mistake thankfully never had an incident). Maybe if you spent a little more time looking out the windscreen at what's going on around you instead of looking at your GTI (I sometimes wonder if your posts are really so you can brag about your car) badge on you steering wheel you mightn't see as much bad driving around you:D

isn't that so true.... bad drivers all around, everywhere...

one have to ask whats the common denominator

but to be fair...the type of driving described is very dangerous

endplate wrote:
    Maybe if you spent a little more time

Maybe if you spent a little more time sticking to the topic we'd all be a bit happier.

Irish Salfordia, dudara - I suppose it's entirely possible that she was a learner but there were no L plates. As has also been said, being a learner is not really an excuse for driving into the middle of the road.

Had it been a cyclist that she took out of it for example and they were this morning waking up the prospect of being in a wheel chair, would the dangerous driving charge be any less because she is a learner? (again I stress, there was nothing to say she was one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Big Balls wrote:
    would the dangerous driving charge be any less because she is a learner? .

i have to agree, dangerous driving is dangerous driving end of story.
    one has NO excuse for dangerous driving, no matter what other road users are doing... its illegal and wreck less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

..dangerous driving by dangerous drivers! it's all over the country so we've to be on the watch...ALWAYS!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

darkflower wrote:
    ..dangerous driving by dangerous drivers! it's all over the country so we've to be on the watch...ALWAYS!:eek:

this is true and it isnt just L drivers, its most drivers, i know some disgracful drivers that have their full license and have toppled their car and written off cars before.

in fact i think some full license drivers can be more dangerous as they think " sure i passed my test, i MUST be a good driver" and they get cocky and take risks

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Big Balls wrote:
    Maybe if you spent a little more time sticking to the topic we'd all be a bit happier.

You'd be a lot happier

I see a lot of bad driving on the roads here but I don't whinge and moan about it I learn from my experience and learn how to avoid a situation like that in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Excuse my off topic pedantic comment here, but its 'reckless' not 'wreckless'
    I see it on boards a lot and it is starting to drive me crazy.
    I wake up in cold sweats screaming "RECKLESS HAS NO W!!"

• Advertisement

endplate wrote:
    but I don't whinge and moan

Are you still banging on with the same stale argument?
    endplate wrote:
    about it I learn from my experience and learn how to avoid a situation like that in the future

You must be a fortune teller so. You know, being able to always work out what other drivers are going to do (which I think I made clear that I DID do in the initial post).

Now Endplate, let's see if you can leave it. :eek:

Advertisement